Need Help Picking Up A Backup/edc Gun !!!

This is a discussion on Need Help Picking Up A Backup/edc Gun !!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello ladies and gentlemen, I need your imput as to which backup/edc gun I should choose. I originally posted awhile ago about which snubby I ...

Thread: Need Help Picking Up A Backup/edc Gun !!!

Need Help Picking Up A Backup/edc Gun !!!

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I need your imput as to which backup/edc gun I should choose.

I originally posted awhile ago about which snubby I wanted: S&W 60/Ruger Sp101/Taurus. Thank you all for your imput on that post. But upon handling these pieces at a gunshop I've decided I wanted a little something with less weight for an every day carry/backup gun to my SA XD9. Also, because of a $150 speeding ticket I just received (over 70 in a 55 zone) I don't have a whole lot of dinero as well. As I tend to carry my xd 9mm all the time, this next gun will just be for those times when I don't feel like carrying it.

I've kinda narrowed it down to these three pieces:

1) Bersa Thunder .380 about $225
    2) Kel-Tec P32 about $250
    3) Taurus 851 or similar weight (about 15-20oz) about $300

Please be assured that I realize the .380, .38 spec and especially the .32 are only borderline adequate for self-defense purposes. And yet I've never met someone who would like to be double-tapped by a pair of .380s or .32s

So, have at it. Tell me which one you would pick and why.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If your willing to do a bit of work on the little kel-tec to fix the rimlock issue they can have it would be a fine " all the time " gun, tho i would really reccomend a 2nd gen p3at in .380 over the p 32 . Bersa is also a lot of bang for the buck , but it and the taurus are both in a bit different class and would not be as convienant as one of the micro kel's for a bug . You might also look at the kel-tec pf9 as a light economical bug that would most likely make your price break , and for that matter a Kahr cw would be close , and you can allways trimm the butt to pm/mk demenitons to make a cw covert .

Edited to add :

The two guns i have that i consider deep cover or pocket guns are a P3AT and a PM9 Kahr .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Keltec P3AT

Have you considered the P3AT in .380 instead of the P32 in .32? I am quite happy with my Keltec P3AT. The .32 may "rim lock" when loaded with hollowpoints.

Nathan

edit: I see that I need to be a little faster on my replies
    --
    Ruger KP97DC .45 (x2)
    Ruger P97DC .45
    Ruger 22/45 .22
    Kel-tec PF-9 9mm
    Kel-tec P3-AT .380

I've fired a P3AT before and didn't really like the stout recoil -- impaired my follow ups

Keltec P # AT is what I carry, when I can't easily carry one of my Glocks. Small, light & reliable. But, if that does not work for you, the .32 Keltec would be my next choice, I have one, which my wife now uses.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Jeff the little .32 is fine other than a known issue on the " rimlock " . It is a simple mod to the mag you need to do that can be found at either of the main kel-tec boards which you can find at http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/ and http://www.ktrange.org/phpbb2/index.php Note tho that unless things have changed there is not a lot of love between the members of the boards as one is an offshoot of the other lol . Go read up a bit on the small kel tecs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm 5'11", 175 lbs. and carry a SP101, 357 mag. in a Galco pocket holster as a BUG. It works for me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have the S&W 638 Airweight. Great shooter, rarely carry it. My P32 is in my pocket most of the day other than while I'm at work. Just fits nice, you forget its even there. I use FMJ ammo so it'll make a nice hole. Hate for it to wade up with some guys shirt and bounce back. I'm wanting a P3AT also in HC so I have a matching pair.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Links