S&W MP40 and MP40c

S&W MP40 and MP40c

This is a discussion on S&W MP40 and MP40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Guys- I have narrowed my choices down finally to a Smith and Wesson MP40 of some variety.....I wanted some opinions on concealing the full ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W MP40 and MP40c

S&W MP40 and MP40c

Ok Guys-

I have narrowed my choices down finally to a Smith and Wesson MP40 of some variety.....I wanted some opinions on concealing the full size version, as opposed to the compact, the compact has a much shorter grip which is the hardest part to conceal.....but 15+1 of 40 would be nice to.

IIRC in the classifieds area there is a member selling LNIB both an M&P40 as well as a M&P40 Compact either individual or if desires as a package deal.
    I saw the listing during the weekend.

BTW the M&P 40 (fullsize) is actually the same dimensions as a Commander length 1911 which is what I use as a carry comparator and can concealed carry with ease.

- Janq is nuts for the S&W M&P40
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

on that note the MP45 is only .25 longer overall than the MP40 and is 10+1 of 45ACP.....any opinion on concealing that?

Should have also said the MP45 is dimensionally the same other than the added length

Correct ^^

The M&P40 conceals same as a 1911 commander, which is pretty darn easy on many if not most body types.
    The M&P45 is slightly less long than a fullsize/GI length 1911 which is less so easy to conceal and deploy quickly for varying body types.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If you have beeg! hands get the fullsized. I love my SW MP .40c but my buddy Stu can't get a grip on it.

I have small to medium sized hands and i can't say enough how much i love the feel of my compact.

I train and take courses at the S&W Academy as well as their Sports Training Center and have had _alot_ of direct experience handling the whole M&P lineup including the 45. By far in my own size large hand (long fingers) the M&P40 for me handles most comfortably and shoots crazy accurately...literally stock out of the box.

Side to side the M&P 40 is exactly the same in dimension as my old SA 1911 commander.
    The M&P45 is slightly shorter than a full size 1911, and for me in my hand is not as much fun to shoot nor as accurate as either me with my 1911s nor the M&P40. The grip circumference of the M&P line is similar to that of a 1911 with standard grip panels. IIRC it does not change as based on caliber while the Compact versions are just shorter in grip/frame length while the circumference remains the same.

Anyway as to accuracy I've tested the whole line to an extreme using same brand and type ammo (WWB FMJ in 9MM, .40, and .45) and by far the .40 works best for me. I've run them all heads up against my own guns all being 1911s. In the past I've posted up pics of my targets showing as much.
    The results for me have been; M&P40 > My old SA Lightweight Compact 1911 (Commander length) > M&P9 > M&P 45...and the M&P40 Compact > My EDC 1911 Colt Defender > M&P9 Compact.

A bit of anecdotal evidence;
    This past September I was in a week long course at S&W Academy and one phase was coverage of how to engage an animal that has decided to charge/attack. This scenario was live fire and the 'animal' target we used were small bottles such as various sized plastic soda and milk containers filled with water and dragged across the floor with a string attached to the 'nose'. During this course I was by far in appearance the most fit person and so the instructor selected me to be the 'runner'. I didn't mind it as fact is I _love_ to run and am a former competitive runner. My job was to hold the string standing back to back with the shooter and at random times with no warning prior take off running in the opposite direction at top speed. I was running at an 'Oh damn here come the cops' rate of speed/power output. Quick.
    There were IIRC 15 students in class and I ran these back to back for 14 students with roughly 30 to 60 seconds rest in between each heat/person. No water, no rest, again full tile standing start accelerations. Each student had opportunity to shoot the animal (bottle) from a distance of 21 ft. All but one of the 14 did so with atleast one round hitting the bottle somewhere (not all at the 'nose' as was the task) before it crossed a paint line in front of the operator which signalled the animal was then on top of you. The pistol provided to us for this specific challenge was an out the box stock M&P40 fullsize. We all had brought our own weapons of choice and up to that point been doing so with most folks running 9MM and .38 (myself and one other 45...both of us 1911s).
    When it came to be my turn, with maybe a 30s rest I took the shooters position, was handed the M&P40 and gave the shooter ready signal. The runner for me took off and myself from a cold shot with no warmup and after having 14 times done full title wind sprints I shot the animal/2L soda bottle just above the nose inbetween the eyes on the first shot at roughly 19' and placed a second round at the mid point of it's spine at roughly 15' out. The animal/bottle was stopped.
    But more importantly the M&P40 showed that across 13 other students all of which had stated they had no familiarity with the M&P40 and none had come in shooting .40 ammo found the gun to be an easy to point & shoot pistol and the chambering quite manageable within it. The other students included 3 women and persons of varying stature tall to short and with hand sizes all over the place. The M&P heel counter installed felt to me to be the medium but I'm not sure and no option to swap it out was provided during class.
    Myself I'd had probably 1K rounds through various M&P40s prior so it wasn't new to me. I had spent all day prior with my own Colt Defender in .45 and shooting 9mm Simunition rounds via a revolver before swapping over to the M&P 40 again after running full tilt wind sprints the gun in my hand felt completely natural and functioned at a high enough level to be literally under the gun high bio stress functional.

I really really like this gun.
    I don't currently have a need for another EDC as I've got three 1911s current from full size to the 3" Colt, but next autoloader I buy will be an M&P40 fullsize. I only wish the M&P 40 was available with the frame safety same as the M&P45. As well contrary to most folks desires I would choose as a preference to get one _with_ the magazine disconnect feature, something most people seem to hate/not want.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

P.S. - I do not work nor have any association to S&W aside from being a member of their facility and student of their academy. FWIW my least favorite M&P is the 45 variant even as that chambering is my long time preference.

I have a SA Champion (4" barrel) and the full size M&P 9mm. They are almost exactly the same size. For my body shape, I'd have a hard time not printing with either of these guns. I'm kind of narrow, fore to aft, and the grip or slide prints no matter how I postion these two pistols. So, the M&P compact is the way I'd have to go.

Cloudpeak

CP,

Just curious for relative comparison what are your physical stats?

For example I am 6'1" today weighing in at 162lbs, have a sprinters build with wide shoulders, flat abs, and wear a 30 waist pant (typically buy 32 to allow for IWB holstered carry).
    My EDC is an Officer sized Colt Defender running an extended 8rd. mag (sticks out from the frame) and I've got no printing issues in summer wear under a single layer t-shirt or tank top...as long as I don't bend over at the hip.

Again just curious for sake of providing JCook relative info toward his buying decision.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    CP,

Just curious for relative comparison what are your physical stats?

For example I am 6'1" today weighing in at 162lbs, have a sprinters build with wide shoulders, flat abs, and wear a 30 waist pant (typically buy 32 to allow for IWB holstered carry).
    My EDC is an Officer sized Colt Defender running an extended 8rd. mag (sticks out from the frame) and I've got no printing issues in summer wear under a single layer t-shirt or tank top...as long as I don't bend over at the hip.

Again just curious for sake of providing JCook relative info toward his buying decision.

- Janq
    Jang,

I'm 6' 3" and weigh 190 lbs.

My Champion is 5 1/2" from the sights to the end of the grip. I imagine your officer's model is a tad shorter?

I should point out that I've tried both the M&P and Champion tucked in just my waistband to check for fit and do not own any IWB holsters for these guns. I was trying to get an idea of I could carry either gun.

As I said, I'm pretty narrow front to back, no butt and not much belly. If I position either gun so the top of the slide doesn't print, the grip sticks out and and when the grip is angled so it conceals, the end of the gun (sight) prints badly. No printing problems with the little SP101, though.

Cloudpeak

I carry and conceal the full size 40 easy in a C-TAC IWB holster
    Be armed or be a victim

Thanks CP
    That provides a picture of sorts.

Up untill roughly a month ago my normal EDC was the SA I mentioned which was a Commander in length with an Officer size frame. Unfortunately upon warrarty return it was deemed by SA to be non serviceable and is now dead. :(
    I'd been carrying that gun though with no problem for years prior and the Colt Defender had been my secondary. The slide length is not so much a problem to consider as it is the frame length.

Depending on ones body shape fullsize may or may not work.

- Janq

Well I am 5'-11" and 240 but dont have a huge gut, I have some but not what most would think, most people guess I weigh around 200 even.......so that should give you some kind of body type reference.

You probably would prefer the Compact as well then.
    Almost everyone I know IRL that runs a Compact variant of anything generally is within your waist to height relation range, as based on comfort.

A better shop would allow you to in the store try both on for size toward feel and carry comfort.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    If you have beeg! hands get the fullsized. I love my SW MP .40c but my buddy Stu can't get a grip on it.
    Ehhh, those extra black parts that were in the blue plastic box? They were additional backstraps to change the size of the grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links