Jonesing for a Commander

This is a discussion on Jonesing for a Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I got the itch, time for a new gun. Don't need logic, proof, or persuation to change my mind. I am looking to make ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jonesing for a Commander

Jonesing for a Commander

Ok, I got the itch, time for a new gun. Don't need logic, proof, or persuation to change my mind. I am looking to make a purchase to satisfy my emotional side. I want an alloy frame 4.25" 1911 .45acp. I'm a lefty, so ambi saftey is a big plus. I went to a big chain store today, and the closet thing was a S&W 1911. I just can't get my head around Smith, and 1911. All the Colt's were over MSRP, Kimbers' were not 4.25, Springers were all steel. Where can I get a lightweight Commander .45 for about $800?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Ok, I got the itch, time for a new gun. Don't need logic, proof, or persuation to change my mind. I am looking to make a purchase to satisfy my emotional side. I want an alloy frame 4.25" 1911 .45acp. I'm a lefty, so ambi saftey is a big plus. I went to a big chain store today, and the closet thing was a S&W 1911. I just can't get my head around Smith, and 1911. All the Colt's were over MSRP, Kimbers' were not 4.25, Springers were all steel. Where can I get a lightweight Commander .45 for about $800?
    Wouldn't you like a nice Sig 220 Single Action instead?

Lead Moderator
    I got a Springfield loaded LW (Alum frame ) champ. for under $800 a while back. 4" barrel and lots of extras. See my avatar for a pic.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I got a Springfield loaded LW (Alum frame ) champ. for under $800 a while back. 4" barrel and lots of extras. See my avatar for a pic.
    If I do a holster for a 4" or 4.25", will my Officer's fit, too?

JD
    Administrator
    Well if you want a true 4.25" with a bushing, in the price range you've given, you're pretty much looking at Colt, Smith, Para Ordnance, and maybe STI

Sig: All steel over $800
    Dan Wesson: All steel, over $800
    Springfield: 4" bull bbl.
    Kimber: 4: bull bbl.

With $800 as a limit, you've removed the semi-custom/custom shops like Les Baer, Wilson, NHC etc. etc.

If you don't mind the 4" bull bbl. and don't care for Kimber, I think the Springfield LW Champ is right up your alley, although I don't entirely recall, but I think it comes in black over OD only?

JD
    Administrator
    If I do a holster for a 4" or 4.25", will my Officer's fit, too?
    Yes, but I wouldn't advise it for IWB as the lower portion of the holster as a result of the shorter slide will begin to collapse.

Haven't tried it with an OWB, but I try to keep my holsters mated to a specific gun if I can.

Lead Moderator
    The Champ comes in several colors. stainless, 2 tone , Blued or like mine the OD / Blk. I got a 4.25" holster that works just fine . The bull barrel and single piece ramp design seems to work well. No need for tools to take it down. I bought the SA due to the ambi safety , since I am LH'ed too. Seems most makers just sell the 4.25" holster for Champs.
    I just got my new IWB holster a month ago , not sure if the bottom will collapse or not, doesn't seem like there is enough leather to get forced down though.
    Here is a pic of my new holster and mag pouch, sorry it is a bit blurry. Holster is a Gould and Goodrich.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Here's a couple;
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=40193

Colt Lightweight Commander made in 1975. All original with the exception of the grips. Unaltered-has not been smithed, modified or assaulted by bubba with a dremel tool. $850 shipped to the FFL of your choice. Over all in excellent condition for a pistol of this age. Runs 100%

If you have questions please send them to my email address: russell.dye@rap.midco.net

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=39720

This Commander was made in 1980, and does not have the firing pin safety. It's all original except for the sights, and a SS Wilson barrel bushing. Both of those were on it, when I bought it. I have an original commander barrel bushing I can put on it, if you would prefer.

It's obviously used, but not abused. There's just the normal wear that most guns that are 27 years old would have. And best of all the feed ramp has been left alone!

Feel free to ask any questions...........700.00 firm, or trade for a Combat Commander.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

OD those are nice, but I am a bit of a slob, need stainless. But blue looks so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well if you want a true 4.25" with a bushing, in the price range you've given, you're pretty much looking at Colt, Smith, Para Ordnance, and maybe STI

Sig: All steel over $800
    Dan Wesson: All steel, over $800
    Springfield: 4" bull bbl.
    Kimber: 4: bull bbl.

With $800 as a limit, you've removed the semi-custom/custom shops like Les Baer, Wilson, NHC etc. etc.

If you don't mind the 4" bull bbl. and don't care for Kimber, I think the Springfield LW Champ is right up your alley, although I don't entirely recall, but I think it comes in black over OD only?
    Don't care about bushing, just alloy frame, 4.25" barrel.

OD*
    Ahh, a STS LW Commander, they're kinda scarce and they'll be Series 80s (if that matters to you).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

JD
    Administrator
    Don't care about bushing, just alloy frame, 4.25" barrel.
    For Commanderish sized guns, if you don't have a bushing it's usually a 4" barrel like the Kimber and the Springer, bushinged barrels are 4.25" like Colt Commanders Les Baer Comanches etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For Commanderish sized guns, if you don't have a bushing it's usually a 4" barrel like the Kimber and the Springer, bushinged barrels are 4.25" like Colt Commanders Les Baer Comanches etc. etc.
    call me stupid, but my first Colt was 3.5". Commander is next. Govt. model will be last. I am not a need buyer, but an impulse buyer.

I have a Para LTC Lightweight (their commander length 1911) in their regal finish. I love it. I know they offer the LTC in SS, but I am not sure if they offer the Lightweight frame with it.

Why not check out Gun Broker and Guns America and Buds Gun Shop online. You'll find what you're looking for and then just transfer it through a local FFL. I have a series 80 Lightweight Commander and it's one of my favorites. My favorite gun plumber gave it a trigger to match the series 70 action and it's one of my favorite pistols.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links