Accurate information on Carry guns

This is a discussion on Accurate information on Carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a conversation with my son today. He and his wife have decided to come over to the dark side. They want to buy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accurate information on Carry guns

Accurate information on Carry guns

I had a conversation with my son today. He and his wife have decided to come over to the dark side. They want to buy a pistol. (He is former Naval Security and pretty familiar with handgun safety, etc.)

His question: how do you get accurate information on the reliability of a model of handgun?

I remember reading someone's thread that most of the gun magazines out there are not that trustworthy when it comes to their articles on weapons. So, where is the information on handguns with the quality of Consumer Reports?
    Last edited by miklcolt45; November 27th, 2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: information left out
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Right here. Or Guntest magazine is the consumer reports of guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow, Sixto.

That was fast. Can you draw, acquire target, sight, fire and hit with the same speed?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Yup.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I do not trust the magazines, as they get money from companies. I know of one case where a magazine required the author to change his assessment of some ammunition, or not publish it. He left the magazine.

I think most gun testers never saw a gun that was unreliable, or at least they were certain it would be corrected soon.

Sites such as this offer the best information. Of course, experiences will differ so digest it all, and then go for it.
    For example, I have never purchased a commercial 1911 that was 100% reliable out of the box with the ammunition I wanted to use. Others have said that they have one that has gone 3000 rounds without a malfunction.

However, in spite of differences this is still the best place to get on-hands information.

Regards,
    Jerry

I agree, Gun test gives unbiased reports. The others you might take with a grain of salt. Plenty of opinions available on this forum on any particular guns you might be interested in. Someone is sure to have or have had one and will share their experiences.

My personal experience with Glocks 19,23,26 & 27 is they are reliable, accurate and controllable. These are 9mm and 40 SW. Never a problem of any kind in over 2 1/2 yrs of use. My Kahr K40 has also been trouble free.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I got good advice here. However, I also had to make my own mistakes, and I did. Many brands are reliable. Generally the consensus seems to heavily favor Glocks, Sigs, HKs and some 1911s. I know others will add their opinions based on guns they have had good luck with.

I personally use HKs, my wife has Sigs, and recently I acquired a FNP40, which I think will be a winner. Years ago, I let a Browning High Power get away from me. I've regretted that stupidity ever since. It was a real gem.

Gun test gives good reports but ony on one sampling. You want good info, read the gun forums in detail. Interested in Glocks ? Research Glock Talk. Interested in 1911's ? Research M1911forum. Or, research here for a good mix. You have to sift through some fluff but you WILL get an indication of predominant issues with the makes you are interested in if you read the forums. There are folks on the forums that can give you unbiased info on many makes of guns. I don't drink the kool-aid and many others don't either. There is a wealth of good references on the gun boards.

If I am interested in a gun, I read the forums. Right now, I have my sights set on a Walther PPS. I have a good idea of it's good and bad points just from sifting through and reading what the owners say. From my research, the PPS is a VERY good gun. If you do your homework, the forums are the best source of information. This one included.

Good luck.

This site can be a bit confusing as well, with users all over the map on almost everything. The only thing I would suggest is that you only buy a model of gun that has been around a few years so the manufacturer has had time to fix the bugs. (no pun intended)

VIP Member
    The only gun writer I completely trust on this issue is Willey Clap
    at Shooting Illustrated, he doesn't write too many though.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    His question: how do you get accurate information on the reliability of a model of handgun?
    I'm of the opinion that a dozen similar opinions from varied sources carries more weight than several "reviews" done by the trade magazines, because of the reasons some have mentioned.

What I do: Hit the internet discussion forums that have a lot of traffic. Hit some of the obscure ones. A bit of judicious reading can lead you to the group of folks on the boards who have lots of experience and tolerable bias. The usefulness of a given firearm can be understood from its features, but the realibility's hard to appreciate until you've got a clear track record. To find possible models that might work, I have often rooted around on this site: Genitron.com Handgun Database. It can help cast a wider net, to other models of firearms that might have the same basic features you're considering. From there, you do your reading and research.

That said, a specific gun may well be a bit off, anyway, due to tolerance stacking during the manufacturing process, due to Johnny being on staff that day on the assembly line instead of Bobby, whatever. For any carry firearm, I've broken it in and then had a competent gunsmith do magic on the gun. The result has always been (with one exception) a tremendously reliable carry gun.

As for trade rags, ditto on Wiley Clapp. I've often appreciated his straightforward take on things. He's got a book entitled Concealed Carry. Worth reading, for helping in the selection of a particular gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i am a pretty good source:
    a high point is not accurate or reliable
    (most) 1911s, HKs, XDs, glocks, and a lot more (that i dont yet have experience with)

Is there ever a bad review on a pistol in a magazine?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Don't ask me, I'm biased. I own a SIG car and underwear if they made them.

Assistant Administrator
    It also can get you hits from forum opinions as well as others to just Google something like "gun model reliability" - enter model of choice.

"Best" will always be shrouded in opinions but - I do agree a tried and tested platform, which you'll find talked about here a lot - is probably one well worth further researching.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links