XD .45

XD .45

This is a discussion on XD .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two XD's, a service and a subcompact both in .40. I am wanting to get one in .45 and wondered is everyone after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD .45

XD .45

I have two XD's, a service and a subcompact both in .40. I am wanting to get one in .45 and wondered is everyone after the one with the cut down grip now? I kind of like it on the SC, but am concerned that I may not like it for full time carry.

Also, I am wondering if anyone has problems carrying it in 5". I carry a 5" 1911 all the time and it conceals beautifully, but this being a thicker firearm I don't know.

Any input anyone would like to add I will gladly read. Thank you.

You can get spacers for the full size XD45 mags that will fit in the XD45C. So basically you get both the full size and the compact with the compact. Two guns in one. I'd recommend it over the full size for just that reason.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I love mine. I am short 5'7" and with a K&D conceals well it is a great gun lives up to the hype. A friend just acquired a case and a half of 230 grain hydroshocks for 160.00 which he is going to split with me so I have a bunch of stuff to feed it as well.

i've only had mine for 4 weeks and already love it. it really is like having 2 guns in 1. but with 10 rounds in the compact mag, i don't use the 13 round unless i'm at the range.

Handle them both and get whichever one fits the best!!! I got the full size b/c it fits my hand whereas the compact is too short FOR ME to get a good purchase on the grip, especially from the draw. My pinky finger splits the mag floor plate on the compact. If the compact would have fit my hands, I likely would have bought it instead of the full size. But I've got no complaints with the full size service model. I like the way it balances and carries.

YMMV!

For what its worth I use to carry a full size 1911 and now carry XD-45 5" I did not have any issues with the transition.

The thickness did not make a lot, if any, difference.

Just make sure you get a quality holster, I carry mine in a Crossbreed super tuck.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by 45-nut View Post
    Handle them both and get whichever one fits the best!!! I got the full size b/c it fits my hand whereas the compact is too short FOR ME to get a good purchase on the grip, especially from the draw. My pinky finger splits the mag floor plate on the compact.
    YMMV!
    Spend the extra money and get a Pierce grip extension...makes it perfect.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Take a look at XDPACKER 's signiture, and send him a pm, he shows not only how to cut down the grip but professes his undying love for it!!! (have to pick on him a little b/c he is from AZ too)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Spend the extra money and get a Pierce grip extension...makes it perfect.
    For the 45???

I have big hands and I have no problem with the short grip on the XD45c. It carries and conceals beautifully.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I love mine. Shoots great, conceals well, what more could you want?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

pierce grip does not make an extention for the 45 yet.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    turbo93
    There is a thread over on xdtalk.com that says Pearce will have them end of December. We will see.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I wish I'd known that Springfield was going to come out with a compact 45 when I bought mine. I have the 4" service XD45. I'm waiting on a Milt Sparks VM2 (expecting around Christmas). It looks like an excellent holster for carrying a bigger gun with the placement of the belt loops. I rarely carry it as I haven't been able to find any other IWB holsters for it. It's a great gun though. It shoots and handles very well. The only FTF's I've had with it were with some very ugly SWC lead reloads. With quality ammo it goes bang every time.

Cool

My XD Service 45ACP is my primary carry weapon, I carry OWB in a Bianchi Shadow II.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links