S&W magazine disconnect

This is a discussion on S&W magazine disconnect within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where I can find info on removing the magazine disconnector safety on a S&W 1006 simi-auto? I don't like it since none ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W magazine disconnect

S&W magazine disconnect

Does anyone know where I can find info on removing the magazine disconnector safety on a S&W 1006 simi-auto? I don't like it since none of my other pistols have it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That's the way I felt when I first got my M&P with a mag disconnect. Now I wish all my guns had one. Not as a safety feature, although that's good too, but I find it one of the most convenient features I've used (on a gun).

Plus, removing it, may compromise your warranty.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    That's the way I felt when I first got my M&P with a mag disconnect. Now I wish all my guns had one. Not as a safety feature, although that's good too, but I find it one of the most convenient features I've used (on a gun).

Plus, removing it, may compromise your warranty.
    Im just curious, how do you find it convenient? I always looked at it as a disadvantage.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Im just curious, how do you find it convenient? I always looked at it as a disadvantage.
    It makes it impossible to have an AD with what is assumed to be an 'empty' gun once the mag is dropped.
    This may seem on the surface like simple simon gunfu 101 type stuff, but year after year after year how often do we read of people having ADs for exactly this reason. Newbies, seasoned gun vets, police, everyone.

Then there is the safety benefit in the off chance that you are in hand to hand combat struggling for retention of your firearm with another. This happens often toward both LEO and civilians. At this forum alone over the past 30 days there have been IIRC 4 news postings of same one with a LEO whos gun had been wrested from him and three others of citizens fighting off attackers ultimately taking their pistol from them to then turn the tables.

When I get an M&P I too will be specifically looking for a model that has the magazine disconnect feature as well.
    It works, it's useful in a real way, and it otherwise costs nothing to the operator and might save his/her life.
    What's not to like?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Indifference...

I just posted about my contempt for the S&W revolver integral lock, which can accidently lock up your gun at a critical moment. But I am fairly neutral on S&W's other invention, the magazine disconnect safety.

I only have one of these devices, on a S&W model 39 semiauto that I bought new in 1968 and have owned for about 40 years. The mag disconnect safety on this gun has never been a problem to me, and I am rarely aware of it. Since I have no need to fire the gun without a magazine inserted, it has not inconvenienced me at all. And if it saves somebody from a dumb mistake or prevents a LEO from being shot with his own gun, it is a good thing.

Senior Moderator
    I concur with what Janq and pogo2 that all deals with safety, which is no small benefit.

When I have to leave my gun in my car briefly to go into a no carry zone, I pull the mag and put it on my person - the gun is inert right then. No racking the slide, or trying to figure out what to do with the round that came out of the chamber. I then draw the gun and slide it under the seat or place it in the glove box. It still has a round chambered, but it won't fire. When I come back, I reholster, re-insert the mag, and it's loaded and ready.

If someone broke into my car and stole my car/gun, it would be useless unless they bought a mag for it.

Further, it allows me to have the full compliment, 17+1 in the gun without chambering a round repeatedlyor load/unload purposes.

If I could choose, all my guns would have a mag disconnect. As far as I know, there have been no incidents where the mag disconnect caused an injury that could have been prevented without it. OTOH, there have been numerous incidents where a mag disconnect have prevented injury.

I think some good points have been made in favor of the mag disconnect in this thread and I'm certainly going to give it some thought for my next M&P which would be bought for carry. Good point about removing the mag when leaving a gun in the car.

For a "range" gun, like when I shoot steel plates, I like the idea of not having the mag disconnect. Having to insert an empty mag to show "hammer down" is kind of a pain. My M&P 9mm has neither the mag safety or lock.

Cloudpeak

I concur with what Janq and pogo2 that all deals with safety, which is no small benefit.

When I have to leave my gun in my car briefly to go into a no carry zone, I pull the mag and put it on my person - the gun is inert right then. No racking the slide, or trying to figure out what to do with the round that came out of the chamber. I then draw the gun and slide it under the seat or place it in the glove box. It still has a round chambered, but it won't fire. When I come back, I reholster, re-insert the mag, and it's loaded and ready.

If someone broke into my car and stole my car/gun, it would be useless unless they bought a mag for it.

Further, it allows me to have the full compliment, 17+1 in the gun without chambering a round repeatedlyor load/unload purposes.

If I could choose, all my guns would have a mag disconnect. As far as I know, there have been no incidents where the mag disconnect caused an injury that could have been prevented without it. OTOH, there have been numerous incidents where a mag disconnect have prevented injury.
    If you store the gun in your car with a round in the chamber then it is "loaded"
    Safety is device that can and will fail!
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

Senior Moderator
    How about carrying a 1911 with the muzzle pointed at your leg cocked and locked?

I have never heard of a mag disconnect causing a problem.

Actually, if you shoot IDPA the mag safety is a pain because at the end of the scenario, you need to clear your pistol by dry firing with the mag out. To compensate, you need to always have an empty mag on hand.

Otherwise, the mag safety is a pretty good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    I'm gald to see this thread. Just the other day I was thinking about magazine disconnects and thought about starting a thread. I did some research and read varying opinions published in magazines and posted on forums. Based on what I read and the posts here thus far, here are my own humble opinions:

• Magazine Disconnects as a Safety Against AD I believe this is true for a beginner who has no experience and no formal safety training. It is my opinion that no device or feature intended as a safety replaces maturity, experience, and the respect of a firearm as a deadly weapon. Proper firearms handling should ALWAYS be the primary safety and these features should not be the first line of defense against “accidents.” Janq mentioned that
      year after year after year how often do we read of people having ADs for exactly this reason. Newbies, seasoned gun vets, police, everyone.
      I think I touched the “newbies,” but in regards to the “seasoned gun vets, police, everyone,” I think that boils down to reaching a comfort and familiarity level that is in fact deleterious to safe handling.

• Magazine Disconnects to Render a Firearm Safe (for quick storage) This use is actually a very good point and use. Others have mentioned about going into a restricted building (like a post office) and rather than unloading, locking, and locking in the glove box, one can merely drop the magazine and carry it with them, leaving the firearm inoperable and saving time. Okay, so you aren’t saving a significant amount of time up front, but think of it this way. You are at the post office, which is a federal building and therefore restricted. You unholster your firearm, drop the mag, clear the chamber, and begin applying some sort of safety (if you are as anal and worried as I am… Heaven forbid something happen that a BG ends up with your firearm). Someone sees you in your vehicle “fumbling” with a firearm. They panic, call the police. I think you see where this story is going. Also, as mentioned, you don’t have to continually rechamber a round. Yes, with a magazine disconnect and a dropped mag, the firearm still has a round in the chamber. If a BG would break into your car, your firearm is not immediately or easily to return to operational status. In retrospect, you get into your vehicle, insert the magazine and you are ready to go.

• Magazine Disconnects when Firearm Retention may be Lost I personally feel this is the most important and useful feature of magazine disconnects. If a situation ends up in a melee of hand to hand combat over retention for my firearm, I extremely like the idea that I can simply drop the mag rendering inoperable. At that point I no longer have to worry about maintaining retention; my attacker cannot use my firearm against me. I can now resort to martial arts and/or knife to defend myself. I don’t have to worry about attacking with my knife while also trying to worry about retention. I can focus solely on defending myself, surviving, and regaining control of the situation. Some will say that yes this works, but what if you maintain retention, you know have an inoperable firearm. True, but what about that second magazine we carry in the event our primary one fails?! I simply insert the magazine and am ready to go! I am aware that things may not happen such that everything will work as I theoretically laid out and when the SHTF anything can happen, but I can assure you of this—I may go down in a fight but there is no way in $%^& it will be with a bullet from my firearm.

• Magazine Disconnects to Appease the Anti's Aargh! I won't go any further with this one...

• Magazine Disconnects as Devices that Will Fail I would consider myself mechanically inclined. I cannot fathom any way possible that a magazine disconnect would fail. If, and I mean IF, the disconnect rod was somehow severed the device would fail. However, short of deliberately cutting the disconnect rod, the rod’s mechanical movement does not allow for it to be bent, twisted, etc., only lifted. In my research, I found no instances where a magazine disconnect failed without someone deliberately tampering with it in a way that would not be encountered insitu. Maybe someone can provide their opinion on this. I just don’t see it.

• Magazine Disconnects in IDPA Okay, you got me there. Only solution is to buy another handgun and I don't think anyone on here will frown on purchasing another handgun.

These are just my opinions and I am extremely open to debate and others opinions.

To date, the only firearm I own that has a magazine disconnect is an M&P9. I personally do not see the magazine disconnect that it is equipped with as an impeding device. I actually think it is quite useful and appreciate the benefits it could and does provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find info on removing the magazine disconnector safety on a S&W 1006 simi-auto? I don't like it since none of my other pistols have it.
    Ask your question on the S & W forum www.smith-wessonforum.com. They'll have an answer for you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk! --Tuco

Assistant Administrator
    Sam (eagle5) - I am on your page almost entirely. My BHP Practical had the disconnect removed by last owner and I have left it that way - it does for sure ease the trigger action, but I only used that for carry for a few months some years ago.

Other guns tho with disconnects, I leave alone - for me, if a trigger is smooth enough and creep-free then poundage is not much problem. I guess too there is always a little bit of keeping the gun ''stock'' internally - as the factory designed and made it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have never heard of a mag disconnect causing a problem.
    My S&W 457 would not fire with a 4516 magazine (with yellow follower) at the range the other day. When I put upward pressure on the mag base, I could get the gun to fire. The next day I was dry firing the 4516 mags, and they would drop the hammer, with an empty mag.

S&W website has the mags for sale; and it states they fit the following: Models 457, 457D, 4513TSW, 4516, 4536, 4553TSW, 4556, 4596, Standard Magazine, 7RD.

So yes, a mag disconnect can cause a problem.
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    No help on the disconnect, but howdy from a fellow 1006 owner.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links