Best gun for me: Sig p228

This is a discussion on Best gun for me: Sig p228 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, finally I think I've come to a conclusion, that a Sig p228 is the best gun for me. It has cost me a considerable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gun for me: Sig p228

Well, finally I think I've come to a conclusion, that a Sig p228 is the best gun for me. It has cost me a considerable amount of money, and I still haven't tried everything. The sig P228 is by far the most accurate pistol I have handled. I can say this after putting around 1500 rounds through it. To some that might sound like alot, but is not that much compared to my other guns (I loss count of how many rounds my G19 has on it). The cost of 9mm is cheap, but at the same time has plenty of stopping power.

I have come to accept 40s&w, that is what I carry on duty, but I'd have nothing to do with this round if that wasn't the case. The recoil that the sig has is smooth and not harsh at all. The trigger on the gun is very nice even though the reset is a bit long. This gun has yet to have a problem of any kind and is easy to maintain. I have a 229 that I like almost as well, but this 228 just performs better for me. They seem like almost the same the design, so why the 228 perforns better is a mystery to me.

This complaint has nothing to do with the function of the pistol, but I think that the finish is not a stong point on this sig. I am considering sending it off to sig to have a nickel finish put on it and the SRT trigger. The refinish seems fair ($100), but the cost of the srt trigger ($100) seems too high. This makes me wonder if I could get the trigger and install it myself?

Also, Im looking for a new holster for it. I want a holster that will conceal it well and be made with brown high quality leather. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I still have my eye on a p220 carry elite stainless, but for now the p228 provides everything I could ask for and more.

Congratulations

It is nice to see someone find their perfect handgun, while most of us continue to wander in the handgun wilderness, trying one thing after another.

I can understand your partiality to the Sig P228, however. I have the very similar P229 (in .40), and it seems almost the perfect gun in most respects. For refinishing of your Sig, you might take a look at Robar in Phoenix, Arizona. They do great work in refinishing guns:

Robar gun refinishing website

And on your holster question - if you like OWB, I can recommend the Kramer belt scabbard in horsehide. It is a stiff, sturdy holster that supports the weight of a heavier gun like the P228 well. Here is my P229 in a Kramer belt scabbard (available in brown as well as the black shown):

Administrator
    Shhh, dont let out my secret! The 228 is one wicked gun. I love 'em, and they are probably my favorite pistol. I have a bunch of them now. If you want one, you better get one soon, they are getting more and more scarce.

You're right about the finish though. I wouldnt send it back to Sig for a refinish, there are better options. If your decently mechanical, you can do the SRT trigger yourself, and it will cost you about 30-40 dollars. I do suggest you get yourself an armorers book from Brownells first though... just in case your not as handy as you thought.

Robar is great, and this guy does some really nice work too; http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/hg.htm. I'm getting ready to send my latest 228 off to him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You can't go wrong with a 228.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I think you've pretty much nailed the 228, bmwaddicted, warts and all. Reliable, smooth, accurate, controllable...but with a fairly long trigger and trigger reset and perhaps not the strongest finish in the world. You could do a lot worse than the 228, but it's hard to do much better.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If I had to give them all up except one, I would keep my 228.
    As far as the finish goes, I have heard good things about CCR but don't have any first hand experience with them. My 226 has Robar's NP3 finish on it and it is phenominal. I don't know if the trigger in mine is a result of an action job or just the NP3 but it is slicker than goose snot.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I tend to be partial to the Sig 228 myself.

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    Hey Echo, who refinished your 228? I typically prefer all black, but the two tone Sigs keep catching my eye.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A local guy did it. Most of the work he does is on M&Ps, but he has refinished a couple of Sigs for different people, and they all work great.

He also does great work on Glock grips.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    What is it? All the local guys around here us Duracoat. I'd rather have mine done locally, but I'm not sold on Duracoat yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well I went to my favorite local gun shop to see about the SRT trigger for my 228. They informed me that to get the SRT trigger I would have to send it off to sig. I told them that I would prefer not to have to send it off and have it done locally. The guy acted like it is something the sig custom shop would do. We also discussed a new finish for the gun. They said they used to do gun refinishing, but got in trouble with the city about the chemicals they used to do the refinishing. They recommended hard chrome over nickel, because they said it was a more durable finish. Is the SRT something that can be installed without a trip to sig? Is hard chrome the best way to go?

Administrator
    Yup, the SRT can be done by any armorer... or yourself if your brave enough. It isnt hard to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well I think that installing the SRT trigger is something that I would like to do myself. I have not been able to find the parts to do it. Where did you find the trigger at sixto? Also, do you think you could give me a brief overview on how to do it?

Sig Sig Hooray!!!`

About the only difference I've been able to come up with between a 228 and my P229 SAS (two toned, yummy) is that mine is DOA. Is that correct? No decocking lever?

I roamed the scorched landscape of retail, morosely noodling through shelf after shelf of 'ones I've tried to love'. I've had torrid affairs with classic beauties like S&W, Beretta, Ruger...brief flings with floozies like HiPoint, Kel-Tec, Skyy...and now, I nestle the sweetest of loves to my bosom...the Sig.

OH, SIG! What light doth leap from thy finish, that causes the hearts men to pound more robustly! What calm strength radiates from within thy frame! Oh, rapturous, beloved Swiss engineering and refinement! Oh...oh..oh, crap. There I go again. Sorry, all...

Most of the handguns I have are adequate...but my 229 is refined. I also love the fact that I can change out the barrel to .357SIG in about eight seconds. I shoot tight groups with this gun, and I guess I'm probaby better with my 1911 from 25 yards, but at 7-12 yards the difference is unnoticable (and I have 13 rounds!!).
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Something else to think about. If you are going to send it out to be refinished, why not buy the S.R.T. parts and see if you can just ship them the new parts with your pistol and have them install them on reassembly?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links