Kahr CW9 Question

Kahr CW9 Question

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a good friend who has just been through a rough couple of years. Two new hips and a discectomy, facing spinal fusion and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kahr CW9 Question

I have a good friend who has just been through a rough couple of years. Two new hips and a discectomy, facing spinal fusion and partial loss of use of one leg. Money is tight but he wants to scale down on recoil in his .357 J Frame since some arthritis is setting in. So I took him to the local gun show where a little horse trading landed him a CW9 which was what he wanted for carry. He only has one magazine and wants a few more. He can't spring for factory mags right now and is wondering about the dependability of less expensive after market mags. I'd like to spare him wasted money on crummy mags and confess to knowing only a little about Kahrs.

Anyone have any experience with after market mags in this pistol or should I tell him to try and hold out for the factory ones.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    I'm not even sure if they make 'em.... do they?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, saw some Pro Mags at the gun show but the followers looked pretty cheesy.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I would recommend staying with the factory mags. They are not cheap, but I have never had a FtF using them unlike Pro Mags which I only use at the range.

Administrator
    I would look for some from mecgar, but again, I have no idea if they even make them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have some third part mags for my K-9 and the followers look cheesy but the work fine. I got them off of eBay but you can buy them there anymore. I forget what I paid but I think it was about $20 for 2. Check at the local gun shows I have seen them there but unsure of the price.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

Administrator
    Well, Promag does have a warrenty...
    "Just blame Sixto"

he made a great choice with the CW9. Stay with factory mags.

ree
    Check out here for factory mags in the $27-30 range. I've got four factory mags and haven't had any issues with them.

I opted to stay away from the Promag ones. There are some reviewers of them at midwayusa.com that indicate they don't lock the slide back when empty; others indicate no problems with this. I just didn't want to deal with the potential hassle.

I've got an aftermarket ProMag for my CW9. It works just like the original, no problems at all with about 200 rounds through it. Plus, it holds 8 rounds, instead of 7. Not bad for $17.99. I use it as a 2nd mag when carrying my CW9 with the original factory mag in it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...360&t=11082005
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Ree, those are great prices for factory mags!

Metro 40, you beat me to checking up at Midway. It occurred to me to check there when I got home from work. Thanks for the link.

I'll pass on the info here to him and let him choose! Thanks to all for the help!!!

the CW9 is a great gun, but stick with factory mags. the 3rd party mags look and feel extremely cheap. if he wants cheap mags for range time, that's one thing. but don't even think about carrying that CW9 with a 3rd party mag in the gun.

I have the cw in 40 cal and the factory mag follower self destructed. That was inside 4 months after buying the pistol. I now have promags an have had no problems.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    I have the cw in 40 cal and the factory mag follower self destructed. That was inside 4 months after buying the pistol. I now have promags an have had no problems.
    Nothing will surprise me any more. How much shooting did the factory mag endure before it failed? Did you get a replacement mag or follower from Kahr?

Perhaps promag revised their designs to work better. The first reports were that they didn't lock the slide back. But later reports are that they're working better.

Made it about 400 rounds before it failed, they sent me a new mag which works fine, although it doesnt have that many rounds thru it, the promags have survived 300 rounds so far and the follower looks fine in both of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links