Tell me about the S&W 645

This is a discussion on Tell me about the S&W 645 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at these on gunbroker and other auction sights and have to say its a nice looking gun. From the little I've found ...

Thread: Tell me about the S&W 645

Tell me about the S&W 645

I've been looking at these on gunbroker and other auction sights and have to say its a nice looking gun. From the little I've found out about them they were S&W's first 45acp autoloader and the predecessor to the 4506 family of handguns. Now my questions are what are the major/minor differances between the 645 and 4500 series of guns? Also I've read that the 645 and 4506 series guns use the same mags,and will even fit the same leather is this correct? Thanks for any help guys.

2. Remove Ads

I've had both, but it's been a while. The 645 was an awesome pistol, I traded it for a 4506 when they first came out. Looking back, I shot the 645 better, but thought I needed that new hightech 4506 upgrade.
    The 645 grip felt a bit smaller.The 645 uses grip panels, the 4506 uses a one piece grip. The 645 will use a 4506 mag, but I'm not sure about sharing leather. They are both as heavy as boat anchors, but will feed anything. I don't recall what the internal upgrades were on the 4506.
    I kept the 4506 for several trouble free years..until I caught Sig fever..

If you are, indeed, a 1911 lover, you'll find the S&W safety "backward." Something to keep in mind.

IN my opinion, much improved trigger on 3rd generation guns. No "Phillips head" safety to fall off on 3rd generation guns. Better sights on 3rd generation guns (at least after the 2nd generation parts were gone!). Differences in round vs. square trigger guards may prevent holster sharing, depending on holster.
    I'd hold out for a 4506, myself.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I carried a 645 when I was commanding a couple of drug task forces. Mine feeds everything without problem. I installed a complete set of Wolff springs. Trigger is almost target grade smooth. Mine is not for sale and I still carry it sometimes but it is heavy. If you're going to carry it get a good holster and belt.

Links