How to teach the wife...

This is a discussion on How to teach the wife... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a tried and true way to teach someone with little hand / arm strength to rack the slide of a pistol such as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to teach the wife...

How to teach the wife...

Is there a tried and true way to teach someone with little hand / arm strength to rack the slide of a pistol such as my XD9SC or the Bersa? Any websites that might give some pointers? Or should I just plan on giving her my S&W? I'd thought about getting her a Beretta Tomcat for the tilt-up barrel, but have gotten mixed reviews about its performance (gun, not caliber).
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My advice is let some one else teach her.

My wife enjoys shooting now much more thanshe did 2 years ago, the reason women's only day at the range!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have always taught people with lower upper body strenght to hold the pistol by the slide with thier weak hand, then grasping the gripframe with the stronghand and push forward on the gripframe using the strongest part of the upper body to do the work. You already have a good understanding of the fact that if she struggles with operating the slide, the gun will be next to useless for her. If she can operate a weapon you already have, go with that.

In some cases it is totally psychological. My wife is only about 120 pounds, walks 2 - 50lb dogs and keeps them in control even when she has to "muscle" them but has a difficult time racking the slide on my Sig P6. Personally I don't think it is that much harder than the M&P 9 full size or the 2 Kahr 9mm pistols we have which she has no problem with. She doesn't like shooting the Sig because of the strong DAO first pull and I think it carries over to the pistol as a whole. If the mental outlook is not the issue, the best way to teach I've found is to have her bring the pistol with her strong hand up close to the center of her chest, put as much of her weak hand on top of the back part of the slide as she can fit, and then push with her strong hand in sort of a 10 O'Clock downward motion while keeping her weak hand firm and in place. Hope that helps.

Take a look at http://www.corneredcat.com/

Any and all questions that I have regarding females and firearms, I try that site first.

In particular, the article at:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx
    would appear to be helpful in your quest.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Yea, I can't get my wife to shoot my xd9sc or the browning hipower or the pistol. She likes revolvers better and I think its because she is in love with my mom's lady smith and wesson....
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I looked at that site before, but must have overlooked that part. Thanks.
    CARRY GUNS:

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

The 'Israeli' Method

The Israeli method is a slight modification to racking the slide. Have the gun in low ready in strong hand. Cant the gun sideways towards your weak side. Now grasp the back of the slide with your weak hand, thumb pointing forward along the slide (side facing up) and fingers locked on the other side (facing the ground). Now you pull with the weak side as you push with the strong side (finger out of the trigger guard and on the frame, of course! ), kind of like throwing a good reverse punch.

Benefits: you get your hips and basically your whole body weight into it, and most of the work is done with the strong side pushing, rather than the weak side pulling. Also, if you have a slide mounted safety (like most Ruger semi-autos and others), the fingers and ball of the thumb lock the safety in whichever position it was set before, so you won't accidentally change the condition of the weapon. Another advantage is that this basically forces you to keep the muzzle pointed level and downrange, and neither your hand or your forearm/elbow goes anywhere near the business end of the gun, so this makes it a pretty darned safe technique, too. You can also use the thumb (for lefties) or the fingers (for righties) of the weak hand to engage the slide stop as needed.

The 5'3", small-handed female friend I have been teaching to shoot went from being unable to move the slide to being able to rack it easily after I showed her this.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add: For what it is worth, while I like the Cornered Cat, I have some problems with the method she shows. When a person tries to handle a semi-auto with the weak forearm perpendicular to the slide, there is a strong tendency---especially when one feels the need to 'muscle' the slide!---for the muzzle and the elbow to start coming uncomfortably close! This also means that the muzzle starts swinging to the side, meaning you run a much greater risk of accidentally flagging other people on the firing line. For these reasons, I really don't like that overhand slide grip.

One question is: does she want to learn? If not really, go real slow.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

She said she did for when I'm out of town, she's out, etc...She likes the "feel" of a semi more than a revolver. I've got my Walther P22 to start her plinking with. Then move up on the recoil page.

I was thinking about going to Dominion here in Richmond to take a few courses with her, or perhaps the Tactical Shooting Academy down in Surry, VA. Anybody have any experience with either place?

Yeah I know I just hi-jacked my own thread.
    CARRY GUNS:

VIP Member
    I shoot at Dominion and it is where my wife took her training course for her CC permit. Not sure how there other training programs are. They doe have some nice specials, Tuesday is ladys day, no range fee, just pay for target and ammo, Fridays is 2 for 1 day, 1 range fee other shoots free. They are running a special on their annual pass right now, until Dec 31 it's on sell for $150. no range fees for the year and 15% off on ammo. I've already hinted to Santa on that one!!

When it comes to anyone else and a gun there going to use, I always come back to letting them choose. My wife has trouble racking the slide on most of my firearms and doesnt care for the ones she can. Our solution was to go try out as many as we could find and hold and shoot the ones she like the feel of. Over 3000 rounds later she settled on the G26 or G19. I guess i'll have to buy one of each since she's not sure. darn my luck.
    My world is the only one that counts

Yes....through another instructor.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

"Teaching Women to Shoot"

Good Book
    http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Women...dp/0965942236/

You can change out the recoil springs too, Prawls. This has the added benefit of giving you a quicker shot recovery (an old USPSA shooter trick). If it's 9mm you can go as low as 11 pounds, but 13 pounds works just as well.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links