S&W revolver question

S&W revolver question

This is a discussion on S&W revolver question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I need to pick some brains on revolvers. A range I shoot at pretty often just replaced their revolver rentals, something they do ...

Thread: S&W revolver question

S&W revolver question

Hey all, I need to pick some brains on revolvers. A range I shoot at pretty often just replaced their revolver rentals, something they do yearly I'm told. They now have all the old rentals for sale for seemingly fair prices. A .357 with a 3" or 4" barrel caught my eye, they wanted like $360 for it. I didn't fondle it as I knew I'd have a problem putting it back Being a year old, it does have the lock, which doesn't seem to popular around here. They seem to take pretty good care of their rentals, though I didn't do a real check over of it (I do, however have a rough idea what to look for). Thoughts on this revo? Do I go back, give it a once over and assuming its good grab it? Or is a seemingly good rental still a bad idea? Better off looking around for a pre-lock version? Given its size, I don't plan on it being a carry weapon, I just want a revolver haha.

Thanks in advance for everyones thoughts!
    Edit- after looking at pics, I *think* its a 620 stainless, not 100% though on that.

1943 - 2009
    The S&W Model 620 is a stainless steel 7 shot .357 Magnum built on the L frame, with a 5 inch barrel. It was introduced in 2005 and is still produced. MSRP was $699.00.

Yes, it has the internal lock, and on that basis alone, I wouldn't buy it, but that's just me.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The fact that it was a rental wouldn't put me off. It would just be broke in and should be smooth. It's that lock. No S&W revolver that I own will ever have a lock related failure because none of them have a lock. Perhaps it would be better to spend your money on any of several older used models that feature the goodness of having no lock.

I agree, I will not own any S&W revolver with the lock!! I prefer well preserved old stock revolvers.

I'd hold out for a pre-lock,personally.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Ditto, on holding out for the pre-lock.

I dont let the lock stop me from purchasing new Smiths.. I'd say get it. If its only a year old, it is probably still in great shape even if it was a rental. I got a new model 520 (pretty much the same as the 620 just blued w/different sight) for almost 600.00. In your case the price is right.

Administrator
    I'd hold off and shop around.
    #1...because of the lock
    #2...because a used revolver is still a used revolver no matter if it's had 500 rounds put through it or 50,000 and you should be able to find a good second hand one that was not a rental...AKA carried a lot and shot very little and you'll probably be better off in the long run for it.

There is a NIB 620 on GunBroker for $559. Buy It Now
    and an "As New" for $449 Buy It Now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

S&W w/Lock Help

Forgive me as I'm still learning here but what is it with the lock issue?
    I bought a 642 this summer that came w/lock and I never engage it.
    To me it's a non issue. Is it a different type lock than what's being discussed here? Please help me understand. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    To me it's a non issue. Is it a different type lock than what's being discussed here? Please help me understand. Thanks.
    It has been a non-issue for me but it serves no purpose. I don't engage it..it gives me no problem. I'm guessing people who have experienced trouble are those with small J frame revolvers.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    There have been more than a few reports of the lock (S&W calls it an ILS) engaging itself under recoil. This has occurred with several models but it seems to happen more ofter with the airweight and airlite guns. Personally, I will go without the revolver if it has the ILS. Just one more mechanism that could mess up when I need it the most. I usually look for "retired" PD revolvers. There a ton of them available (Gunshows, CDN, RGuns etc) and I don't remember paying more than $250 or so for revolvers that are in great shape. Besides, who knows exactly what happens to rental guns? I would pass on that offer. But, thats just me. Hope this helps.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Jframe,

We are all discussing the same lock that came on your 642. Here is a thread discussing failures on another forum: http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for.../228102718/p/1. S&W denies there is any problem. American Handgunner writer petty Charlie....I mean, Charlie Petty wrote an article criticizing the S&W Forum and said there's nothing to worry about. His buddy Michael Bane just had a lock-related failure recently. No word on a retraction from Charlie...

I suggest you really think it through before jumping to any drastic conclusions, as there are many people out there who have never had a problem. However, for me, these folks create enough doubt for me to not trust it. My take is that a revolver without a lock is absolutely guaranteed to NOT have a lock-related malfunction.

Mi dos centavos,
    Herk

Edited to add--ILS haters seem to fall into 3 categories: the people who think it looks bad, the ideologists, and the reliability people.

Talking

Thanks for your replies already. This certainly is something to think about. Interesting link from Herknav. I'll probably keep the 642 for a BUG but now I'm in the market for a nice semi. Deciding on either a SIG 229, Glock 19, S&W compac M&P and HK USPC.
    No wife here either. Makes decisions fun. Last year I went out to buy a palm tree and came home with a new guitar.
    Then I bought the tree a week later.
    Life is good!

If you can get a good enough price on a used revolver, it's my understanding that any decent locksmith can disable the lock at a reasonable price. Since disabling it is not altering or disabling a safety device but simply deciding to utilize a different gunlock, it should be a non-issue. I wouldn't pass up a great price over the lock.

Sponsored Links