S&W 1911PD - Worth the price?

This is a discussion on S&W 1911PD - Worth the price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of getting a second 1911 and spotted the S&W 1911PD. I like the Commander sized 1911, but I know nothing about the S&W. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 1911PD - Worth the price?

VIP Member

I'm thinking of getting a second 1911 and spotted the S&W 1911PD. I like the Commander sized 1911, but I know nothing about the S&W.

What do you guys think?

Also, if I got one I'd want to change out the safety to ambidextrous, is that option available in this weapon?

Thanks, Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I got a 1911PD several months ago. I'm well pleased with it & it's been 100% reliable. Don't know about the ambi safety though.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

OD*
    A friend and I have been shooting his PD Govt. and Commander size Smith for a couple of months now, very nice weapons. My preference's run to Colts and Baers, but I would own either of these Smiths in a heartbeat.

Also, if I got one I'd want to change out the safety to ambidextrous, is that option available in this weapon?
    I don't know if it is available from Smith (I would think it should be), but yes Sir, an ambidextrous can be installed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I would say get it. It is a great gun for the money. I think that all the 1911 aftermarket parts will fit from one brand to another.

I have the S&W 1911 Sc. It is the Commander model in silver scandium. It only has approximately 300 rounds through it, but it has never had a failure of any kind. It is light -- less than 28 ounces, but the recoil is not that bad. It is very accurate.

I recently had a fluff & buff done and the loose, stock trigger replaced with a custom-fit one. At the same time, I had him Bobtail it for better concealed carry.

Looks and feels great. Shoots even better.

VIP Member
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

I'd like to have a second 1911 to back up my Springfield and my local gun shop said they have seen fewer S&W's come back for warrantee issues than any other 1911 they sell. That's something because the stock darn near everything!

superior skills."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    A full size PD was my first 1911... for about a week. It jammed 4 or 5 times (it may have been the stock magazines; I don't remember). When I realized that the gun was 'stamping' all the brass, I returned it for a refund.

Check the breech face for a stair step ledge on the ejector side... some of the S&W's are machined in two passes and the second pass doesn't cut enough metal. It may be easier to look at the headstamp of the brass after it is fired. Maybe you won't even care, unless you plan to reload your brass.

Other than that, and the notorious loose trigger, I loved the PD.

1911sc here too. I have just under 1000 rnds through it with absolutely no problems. It's light, accurate, excellent trigger pull, and I like the lifetime warranty from S&W. It's one purchase I'd make again .. in a second.

cray

absolutamente!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    I recently had a fluff & buff done and the loose, stock trigger replaced with a custom-fit one. At the same time, I had him Bobtail it for better concealed carry.
    Looks great. Who is him who did the work?
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Hi I just picked up a used in near mint condition S&W 1911pd fullsize,and have to say it seems like a very nice gun. Its very smooth and is very well made and finished no sharp edges anywhere. I've yet to shoot it but plan on doing so this week. I think for the money its an excellent 1911,it has the reliability and longer sight radius of a full size but the lightweight for easier carry. I've carried lots of steel 1911's and even with a good belt and holt afters about 4 hours it weighs on you. I'll updat you guys with a range report and pics to.

I don't see how you can go wrong given the S&W's track record BTW I paid $450 OTD for mine in the blue finish with box and 2 mags. I know these aren't a les baer or wilson but they are a great 1911 for the money.

VIP Member
    I'm looking forward to your report 1911luver.

I have a Springfield SS Loaded Champion and am thinking (ie:hoping) to go to Gunsite next year and I want to use a 1911 for the course so I'd really like to have two just in case. I don't really think my Springer will let me down though but I would hate to go from a 1911 to one of my SIGs part way through the training. Murphy goes everywhere I go and gets there first!

As you were saying, an all steel gun gets heavy day in and day out. I sure wouldn't mind my second being lighter!

superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got one...a commander-size. 100% reliable, and I've TRIED to jam up that puppy, completely without success.

Very accurate as well. Great gun. Go for it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I too have a S&W 1911...I really don't think you can go wrong with that gun.

VIP Member
    Okay guys, I'm sold!

I picked up a 1911PD with Crimson Trace grips today!

Range Report coming!

superior skills."

Ooohh..Purty! Quanto?
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links