Help me choose a pocket gun poll

This is a discussion on Help me choose a pocket gun poll within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty much explains it all!...

View Poll Results: Help me choose a pocket gun from these options

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keltec p3at

88 40.74%
  • Kahr PM9

72 33.33%
  • Seecamp 380

13 6.02%
  • NAA 380

16 7.41%
  • Walther PPS

27 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a pocket gun poll

Help me choose a pocket gun poll

Pretty much explains it all!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'm currently looking for (and voted for) a Seecamp .380 which has been hard to find locally. It seems like the perfect pocket gun for my needs. Excellent quality, excellent size and a decent/good caliber. I'd also like a Kahr PM9 w/DLC slide and NS. While a little bigger, the cheaper more potent 9mm ammo it feeds on is appealing. If a good deal on one of those pops up, I'm snagging it. The new PM45 is interesting as well but I don't care for the two-tone SS/black. Maybe an all black w/DLC or all SS will be available soon.

On a side note, I just ordered a NAA .22 Mag Pug w/tritium sights. While not as potent, it's better than nothing when I need ultra deep concealment or just as a back-up.

Can the PM9 really pocket carry well? I have a Kill-tec p11 and can't pocket carry...I wear jeans most of the time and it's too heavy.

9mm over .380

I would pick a 9mm over a .380 for a pocket gun based on the higher muzzle energy and stopping potential of the 9mm.

Of the two 9mms on your list, both of which have similar dimensions, weight and capacity, I would try to fire or handle each one and make a decision. I think either the Kahr PM9 or the Walther PPS would be a good alternative.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I voted for the PM9 because...well, I don't own any of the others. As far as pocket carry in jeans goes, I guess it depends on the jeans. Jeans that are tight or have smaller pockets would be hard to carry in. I buy my jeans a size or 2 too big and I get the "relaxed" or carpenter style and for me it's very comfortable to pocket carry.

I also would like to add that my PM9 (2 years old now) has been extremely reliable. I would estimate that I've put between 700 to 1000 rounds through it with absolutely no FTF or eject. The majority of the ammo was WWB, with a couple hundred hydra-shoks making up the rest.

Distinguished Member
    The reason you want to pocket carry I would assume, is you want something discrete and easy to carry, so why would you not go with the smallest gun that is also reliable. 380 vs 9mm well it is obvious that a 9mm is better, but the 380's energy is close to a 38 special non +p loads, and I believe there is quite a few that carry 38's and get the job done with them. I have a PF-9 and a P-3at, and there IS a sizable difference between them. PF-9 in you pocket---not so easy, but the 380--easy.

Kel-tec 380---vote from me.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Since my EDC pocket friend is a colt Mustang, I can't say a word....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Since my EDC pocket friend is a colt Mustang, I can't say a word....
    +1 for Colt Mustang

It's either both belt and suspenders, or the P3AT!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

NDS
    I voted for the P3AT. I own one and carry it when I want to be most discreet as it just disappears.

However, you should consider one of the small 9s on the market as well. I've found that for casual carry, my KelTec PF-9 often rides in my hip pocket where it is very inconspicuous. Both these have had over 500 rounds through them and I trust them. The .380 has been faultless from day one. The 9 was sent back to the factory and has been problem-free since its return.

Be sure to practice, a lot, with what ever you choose--and enjoy!

I would encourage you to consider the S&W 642 in addition to those listed. IMHO, it is the perfect pocket pistol.

In addition to the S&W 642, you might want to consider the Beretta Tomcat .32. We own both. They have worked flawlessly and are very concealable. Stay away from The Kel-Tec P3AT. We owned one in the past and it was junk. We'd be dead if we had to use it to defend ourselves. Kel-Tec's customer service leaves alot to be desired.

I would say that all of these guns are not what I would choose. I would use a revolver for sure. Nothing is more reliable, easy to hide, light weight, and made for a pocket like the revolver.

Good luck.

well, i went to the range with my brother today; he's been itching to try out his new PF9. we split the cost of ammo, and bought: federal hst in 147g, winchester target rounds 115g, win supremes in 145g, blaser ball in 115, and gold sabres in 147g. we bought each in boxes of 50 rounds, except for the win. target rounds, which was a box of 100. i was shooting with my sigma, but i won't bother telling you about that. half of all the ammo was put through the PF9 this morning, and it had not a single malfunction of any kind. all of the shooting was done from 7-10 yards. it seemed to shoot the closest groups, about 2". the least accurate were the blaser rounds, but still, no flyaways.

i shot about 20 rounds through it, and aside from the snappy recoil, this is a great little gun to shoot: it was very accurate, and it aimed very naturally. i'm picking mine up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
    In addition to the S&W 642, you might want to consider the Beretta Tomcat .32. We own both. They have worked flawlessly and are very concealable. Stay away from The Kel-Tec P3AT. We owned one in the past and it was junk. We'd be dead if we had to use it to defend ourselves. Kel-Tec's customer service leaves alot to be desired.
    I was under the impression that keltec has awesome customer service...no?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links