Kahr PM9 Question

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a PM9 a while back. I had a couple of areas of concern during the break-in period. First, the accuracy has been horrible ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Question

Kahr PM9 Question

I purchased a PM9 a while back. I had a couple of areas of concern during the break-in period.

First, the accuracy has been horrible - even after the break-in period. At seven yards, I have to aim six to eight inches high to get a hit near the X ring. High and to the right to be exact. These things can be corrected I know.

Second, I could never put a new mag in, rack the slide and chamber a round. It always hung. After completing the break-in period, I called Kahr about my concerns. One of the 'smiths told me the gun was not intended to be "racked" when chambering a round. The slide should be locked back - if not already in this state after finishing off a mag - the magazine inserted and the slide lock released to chamber a round.

I was very skeptical about this. However, he referred me to p.14 of the owner's manual. I hadn't read that - I couldn't even find mine. After downloading a copy, what he said was indeed in the manual.

Can anyone shed some light on why these handguns are designed to be operated this way? It's my first experience with this type of operation.

Thanks,
    GT

2. Remove Ads

I shoot my PM9 at 50 feet and can usually keep groups within 6 inches (I am just an average shooter). The gun I bet is even more accurate than that. I have no problem racking a round in the chamber either. Interested if anybody knows why they have that info in the manual. It does not apply to my PM9 though. I would definitely stay on Kahr to fix the issues your having.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Never touched a PM9 so I can't help you there.
    I ended up purchasing an MK9 Elite '03 after much research of the two. I just read of too much negatives concerning the PM9 and couldn't really find any negs concerning the MK9.
    I will say that there are plenty of happy PM9 owners on this forum and I'm sure you'll hear from some of them. Good luck.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

my CW9 was extremely inaccurate the first time i took it out. turns out i hadn't properly centered the guide rod inside the slide after i had cleaned/lubed it. i had centered the rod on the feed ramp, but the ramp is slightly offset, so make sure your rod is centered in the slide, not based on the ramp. this was mentioned in the manual for my gun.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I have a PM40, and have gotten used to loading from slide lock. Works like a charm.

Just a little idiosyncracy. You'll get used to it.

Not sure what to tell you about the inaccuracy. I haven't had that problem.

Administrator
    I dont know what to tell you about the slide lock deal... it is what it is, and that the way its supposed to work.

If you are aiming high and right, that means your shooting low and left. That is a very very common problem among shooters. Even more so with the little guns like the PM9. I'll be direct; it isnt the gun, its you. You have to much trigger finger. I.E, your jerking the the trigger instead of a smooth pull. Thats sending it left. You are also flinching, sending it low.

Dont feel bad, everyone does it. I was out on the range today and was shooting my P228 and 220. Then I switched to my PM9. Guess what? I shot low and left until I retrained my brain to work with the little gun. Once you are used to doing so, it becomes automatic.

It has nothing to do with level of experiance or anything else, its just a matter of getting used to the little gun and mental hang ups on shooting it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm sure that's very possible. I guess being a very good shot with my full-size 1911 and my G23 makes it easy to look entirely to the PM9 for an explanation. The only thing that gives me pause about it being entirely me is the fact that the three others I've given it to to try had the same problem. Of course, it could also apply to them as well.

Kahr said to ship it back and they would rework the sites. I think I'll take them up on it and then I can be 100% sure it is me.

As far as the slide release, that does work. I still tend to agree with a couple of other post'rs that it's a function of the design and Kahr adopted the procedure as standard.

Normally, I would have been frustrated with it and had something else by now. However, it's so concealable and easy to carry, I'm going to give it every chance to get straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont know what to tell you about the slide lock deal... it is what it is, and that the way its supposed to work.

If you are aiming high and right, that means your shooting low and left. That is a very very common problem among shooters. Even more so with the little guns like the PM9. I'll be direct; it isnt the gun, its you. You have to much trigger finger. I.E, your jerking the the trigger instead of a smooth pull. Thats sending it left. You are also flinching, sending it low.

Dont feel bad, everyone does it. I was out on the range today and was shooting my P228 and 220. Then I switched to my PM9. Guess what? I shot low and left until I retrained my brain to work with the little gun. Once you are used to doing so, it becomes automatic.

It has nothing to do with level of experiance or anything else, its just a matter of getting used to the little gun and mental hang ups on shooting it.

Administrator
    It it will set your mind at ease, send it back to Kahr. It cant hurt.

Its worth sticking with, I've had mine for about 4 or 5 years now. I love it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto, it's not the gun it's you.

I find my Kahr PM9 to be 100% accurate and uber reliable. Kahr's are funny about loading/reloading using the slide stop thingie. No matter, it works and I work my gun using it.

Little guns are harder to shoot compared to their bigger kin and take some serious practice to get used to. Hang in there, you will be well rewarded if you do.

Biker

Thanks for the first-hand experiences and advice. I appreciate it. It's awfully hard to get rid of a handgun for concealed carry that is as concealable as the Kahr.

Being aware of the slide-lock issue before I purchased my Kahr, I was prepared to have to load it from the slide-lock position. However, I've never had any problems with any of the ammo I've fed mine loading by slingshot method. I can vouch for one thing -- Kahrs are tight and their manufacturing tolerances are very close. I'm guessing that they are so tight, that on a fair percentage of the guns, slingshot loading may be an issue, so Kahr simply recommends not to do it so as to prevent a bunch of returns on what isn't really a defect.

As far as accuracy, I have not experienced the problems you are having. You said you are having to aim high / right, but how are the groups? If the groups are decent, I'm going to side with others here and bet that it's just a matter of you getting used to the idiosyncrasies of shooting the small framed pistol. If the groups are all over the place, you may actually have an issue with the gun itself. Below is a target from my post of my original range report on my Kahr. As I noted in my original report, this was 50 rounds at 10 yards. Some slow fire, some rapid fire. While I thought the majority of the grouping was very good, I'll admit that the low hits were caused by me on the rapid fire shots from pushing the gun into the recoil. BTW, this target was fired at with a dead center hold.

While some may question the longevity of the polymer framed Kahrs, I've had no problems with mine and I'm at about 1000 rounds through mine. However, I did not buy the Kahr as a "range" or "plinking" gun. It was purchased as a carry gun only. After the initial break-in (during which no failures occurred), I now only shoot this gun enough to do a little practice with it and to ensure functioning reliability. If I want to shoot 500+ rounds at the range, I'll use one of my full size pistols. But for EDC, the little Kahr is hard to beat.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I HAVE noticed that it seems to take a lot more FOCUS to shoot accurately with my PM40 than with any of my other handguns....

I'm thinking that could be either due to the short sight radius, or to the fact that there isn't a whole lot to hang onto.

i just bought a new pm9 yesterday and put it through the break-in today. i use the over-the-top method of racking the slide/charging the weapon and didn't have any issues whatsoever using this method to charge the weapon with the slide forward. however, i had issues using both the over-the-top and slingshot to release the slide from slide lock. this is quite a big deal for me since i'm a leftie, and hitting the slide stop with the trigger finger under pressure is just not going to happen.

as far as accuracy is concerned, mine hit right where i was aiming as long as i did my part.

how has your reliability been? in the first 200 rounds, mine had 7 failures (5 FTFeed, 1 FTEx, 1 FTRB), and all of them were with commercially reloaded 115gr FMJ rounds. i then put ~125 rounds of remington UMC 115gr jhp and 50 rounds of 147gr speer gold dot (intended carry ammo) without a single issue.

i hope sending it in to kahr works out well for you. this thing is tremendously concealable!

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post

how has your reliability been? in the first 200 rounds, mine had 7 failures (5 FTFeed, 1 FTEx, 1 FTRB), and all of them were with commercially reloaded 115gr FMJ rounds. i then put ~125 rounds of remington UMC 115gr jhp and 50 rounds of 147gr speer gold dot (intended carry ammo) without a single issue.

i hope sending it in to kahr works out well for you. this thing is tremendously concealable!
    That's one area where I've had no problems. I've had no FTF, no problems returning to battery, no FTE. It's gobbled up everything I've put through it. The problems been where it spits it out!

I'm going to give it more time. I'd already thought of having some night sites installed. I may drop in a bar-sto(spelling) barrel also.

I have two Kahrs, a K40 and a CW9. I shoot mid- to full-size handguns just fine (SIG 220, Glock 23, 4- and 5-inch 1911s), but the stubby Kahrs with their long trigger pull had me pulling my shots low and left. Just recognize that the long trigger pull increases the available time to pull the gun off target before the trigger breaks.

If you can afford it, Crimson Trace grips will aid tremendously with your trigger pull in dry-fire exercises. You'll see the dot move on target as you squeeze the trigger all the way back, which is tremendously good feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links