My Ruger P95

This is a discussion on My Ruger P95 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the P95 as my carry weapon. The reason I chose the P95 is simply because of its reliability and durability. After taking it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Ruger P95

My Ruger P95

I got the P95 as my carry weapon. The reason I chose the P95 is simply because of its reliability and durability. After taking it to the range for the first time last week, I knew I made the wright choice. The recoil is a little more then I thought it would be, but easy enough to recover from and get back on target. Shoots flawlessly. It is a little tough to find the right holster for it to be consealed really good in the summer when waring just a t shirt. I did pick up a fanny pack today at Sportsmans Warehouse, and really like it. Never thought I would use one of those, but it is really usefull. It takes my wallet and keys out of my pockets while wareing shorts, and it is easy to get to the weapon if needed. And it is totally consealable.
    The Ruger P95 in my openion is an awesome weapon for personal pertection. I will always fire, and that is what I got it for.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Welcome to the fold. There are many holster options available for your firearm; I would suggest you look through the thread here for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    I got the P95 as my carry weapon. The reason I chose the P95 is simply because of its reliability and durability. . . . I did pick up a fanny pack today at Sportsmans Warehouse, and really like it. Never thought I would use one of those, but it is really usefull. . . . The Ruger P95 in my openion is an awesome weapon for personal pertection. I will always fire, and that is what I got it for.
    I also have a P95. Although I do not use it as my carry weapon, the P95 after a couple of thousand rounds has never failed on any type of ammunition. It is a great buy for the money. I must admit that the DA/SA on the P95 gives me a greater sense of safety than when carrying the striker fired handguns such Glock and XD. That extra feeling of safety is worth a lot to me. I have had no problem getting accustomed to the DA/SA trigger.

Some people have suggested that the fanny pack is a give away to the fact that you are carrying. My opinon is that the only ones that know are others who are likely carrying also. The last fanny pack that I had before someone broke into my car and stole it had a mesh pocket on the outside. In that pocket I kept a shiny small digital camera that could be seen through the mesh. It was very convincing that it was only a camera bag.

P.S. Fortunately I have removed my XD 40 SC from the fanny pack and had it with me when the fanny pack was stolen. I don't think that the fanny pack had anything to do with the break in. I think that it was my NRA sticker that I put on the windshield earlier that day.

Ruger's are built like a tank. Very reliable.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The P95 is my current EDC using a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I'm kinda bulky, so it conceals without much effort ...

Nick

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I bought mine second hand after I read an article about a guy that carries a Ruger when he thinks he is going to be doing something too rough or too dirty for his nice guns. He mentioned not worrying about scratching it under the seat of his truck and having on his side in the shop and some other things.

The guy that sold it to me said he never had a jam. I've put about 3000 rounds through it and never had a jam. I have seen it jam three times on one occasion, but I wasn't firing it; I'm thinking pilot error. One weird thing that has happed to me on it is a failure to lock the slide after last shot. I'm thinking that is due to my placing my thumb on the slide lock, but I have never intentionally reproduced it.

C-TAC makes most of their holsters for it. I'm sure that most of the custom leather people will fix you up as well.

I draw mine in IDPA from a Fobus paddle holster that is technically against the regs, but my group doesn't enforce them.

I can't carry in public, but on the farm I wear it in one of these IWB under a well fitting polo or tee shirt. Dad always feels for it when we greet. Most of the time, no one knows. It is a cheap one, but it works well for me and I'm not a big guy.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    My username was from the days when EDC was my P95 - I am now a SIG user.

However I still like the ''tough old bird'' and will not get rid of it. Soild, rugged and dependable - with a flavor of ''fugly" LOL! I'd slap it back in a rig for use anytime i needed to.

Good value gun too - and the P97 makes a nice complement to it if you wanna go to .45acp.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for all the tips on the holsters. P95Carry, I have been looking at that P97, you are right it would complement the P95 nicley.
    I have been leaning towards the Crossbread Holster, thanks for the info Nikdfish.

I bought a used P95 this summer and it is a lot of fun to shoot. very rugged as has been stated.. my dad has a 40 caliber Ruger will not part with it - very dependable. I will have to check out that SuperTuck holster.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

Assistant Administrator
    One small extra - anyone who has not tried a Hogue Handall on their P series - consider it. I found it greatly added to the good feel.

They are devils to fit but well worth it. Here is my 95 with the addition.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i also have a p95. it is 100% reliable, and it is very accurate.
    it is clunky and i like that. furthermore, it is an American made gun, and it was very reasonably priced. and that is very important to me.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member
    It's great to find something that works so well for you. Ruger does build some great guns.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I like both of mine.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I've been looking at the p95/p97's as aanother tool to keep around. I have a p85 that I keep as a house/travel gun. It's NEVER failed to fire or jam on me. If the p95 is as reliable as the p85 and the reviews I see here then I'd be right in getting one (or three).
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

P95Carry, you are right about the Hogue grips. I put it on my gun and it has a great feel to it. I have not fired it since putting it on yet. And yeah, you are right about them being a buger to get them on, you have to start on one side and strech it and slide it up. But, I think by the feel of it, it will make a differance in shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links