Charter Arms "off duty"

Charter Arms "off duty"

This is a discussion on Charter Arms "off duty" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any history with this mdl.? I'm thinking of either this mdl. at just 12 oz. or S&W 442 @ 15 oz. Just don't ...

Charter Arms "off duty"

Anyone have any history with this mdl.? I'm thinking of either this mdl. at just 12 oz. or S&W 442 @ 15 oz.
    Just don't take the time anymore to holster up for my Sig or XD and just want one to stick in my pocket. I do have a Taurus 85 but that is too heavy for a pocket at 21oz. unloaded.
    Thanks,
    Joe70

of all the guns you mentioned, I have tons of experience in the Taurus 85..... but the ultralite version (about 13 oz.'s unloaded). AND its wonderful.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've handled lots of the original Charter Arms revolvers from the 70's and 80's, and always felt like they were a decent gun for the money. Then at the end their quality went drastically down and they went out of business. I've seen them come back in and out of business a few times since then and I've never been impressed with their quality since then.

If you're talking about a used gun from the original run, it would probably be pretty good. If you're talking about a current new gun I'd say there's no comparison between it and a S&W 442. Unless you're dead broke and don't have the money, go ahead and spend a little extra for the S&W. Or go with artz's suggestion of a Taurus Ultralite which I would rate about equal to current S&W's. You won't go wrong with either one, whereas the current Charter's don't have enough of a track record, in my opinion.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I have the CA Off Duty .38. I find it very light and comfortable- I frequently carry it in a Galco ankle holster and almost forget it is there. In the beginning, I thought I wouldn't like it as there were many misfires. However, with more range time and more ammo (and more factory quality ammo), I am finding I like it and trust it more and more. I think it could be a pocket gun as easily as say a mini Glock or a compact Kahr (think P, CW, K series, not the PM/MKs). I agree that the Taurus is way too heavy. I definitely think a pocket holster is in order, though, to keep things out of the trigger guard.

Charter Arms "off duty"

I can't find any Taurus snubbies at 13 oz. Lightest is 15.8.
    Re miss fire with off dury, do you know why? Was it correctd to operate at 100%
    I'm leaning toward the 442 but don't like the 15 oz. weoght as loaded we are looking at 17 os. Too heavy for pocket carry?
    The only 12 oz S&W lists for $998.00

I've got a 642, and it is fine for pocket carry--I think it is a good balance, enough weight to manage follow-up shots, light enough to ignore in your pocket.

I don't think I'd go with a Charter .38--Nothing about them is different enough from a S&W or Taurus, and they aren't cheap enough for the difference in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    IRe miss fire with off dury, do you know why? Was it correctd to operate at 100%
    I am not 100% sure why- it is my first and only revolver, so it has been a learning experience for me. In the beginning I was shooting target ammo given to me, which may(?) have been reloads. Since then, I have taken the gun every time I go to the range to shoot my semiauto pistols and made sure to shoot at least a few wheels through it each time. I'll be honest, I can't remember the last time it misfired on me, but that may be due to a) quality of the ammo available to me at this point or b) the gun is getting broken in by now (don't know if this is a factor in revolvers??). Since the initial frequent shooting with lots of target ammo (and lots of misfires)- maybe 100 rounds worth-, I've probably put 2 boxes of factory ammo through it, without a misfire in about the last 60-75 rounds I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    I can't find any Taurus snubbies at 13 oz. Lightest is 15.8.
    Joe, I have had my Taurus 85 since they first came out and I dare to say thats about 1999. This particular model seems to be harder to find and I don't see many of them out there. Its the multi-alloy ultralite. Its lighter than the stainless (of course...) and the titanium versions (15.9 oz's).
    Oh...by the way, it is 13.5 ozs. and then was about $300 out the door.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Links