Most important factors in a carry gun... - Page 3

Most important factors in a carry gun...

This is a discussion on Most important factors in a carry gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Frame width and grip length. Barrel length, within reason, isn't a concern of mine when carrying IWB....

View Poll Results: What is the most important factor in concealing a handgun?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frame width

53 26.77%
  • Overall length

29 14.65%
  • Height

39 19.70%
  • Other

77 38.89%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most important factors in a carry gun...

Frame width and grip length. Barrel length, within reason, isn't a concern of mine when carrying IWB.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Reliability, Accuracy, Comfort.

In that order.

Carry

I went with other as I think the hardest part of carry is weight.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    bang

Height. Some guns are hard to hide becuase of the grip. I'm bobtailing my 4" Kimber soon.

I'm gonna say that the most important attribute for ccw is shootability or your ability to hit. Rationale: It can conceal well, whether large or small, but when the chips are down, only hits count. If you can't hit with it, then you're just making a lot of noise.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Carry the one you can rely on when the chips are down. Who cares if you "print" once in a while? You do have a CCW dont you?

AK
    Assuming the gun is reliable (for me) weight is the most important factor. This is where a good belt/holster come into play. As much as I love my P229-9mm and P228 for off-duty carry I'll never sell my G19 because it's so damn light. When both guns are fully loaded the G19 is about 12oz lighter than my P229. 3/4 of a pound is quite noticeable.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    #1 Reliability
    #2 Can u hide it?

Picked other.

Reliability: Concealibility is for naught if the handgun isn't dependable.

"Shoot-ability": Concealibility is for naught if the handgun is difficult to hold and shoot accurately.

I'll put up with some size and weight to have a superior handling gun. Some of these modern concealed carry guns are shrunken too much in my opinion. I'll do my best to make room for a K-Frame Smith & Wesson or occasionally a full sized 1911. If I can't manage that then I'll tote a J-Frame or even the KelTec P3AT. I dislike carrying the KelTec though. In some applications in Texas in summertime it can't be helped.

I picked other because I find the length of the grip to be more important than barrel or overall width. I purchased a XD Sub Compact (3" barrel) and I find that I would have been fine with a longer barrel (might even be preferred since the longer barrel would push the grip in a little tighter maybe) but I could not handle a longer grip. I carry right at 3 O'Clock because any farther back the butt will print as I move or bend over at all. I'm not skinny (5'10" 185lbs) but my torso is not very think on my sides!

However, if I was to carry weak side crossdraw or farther forward on my strong side I'd be more appreciative of the shorter barrel.

Basically, the most important criteria for me is whatever would keep me from carrying it!

What I wish I had is a friend with a lot of guns and holsters who would have let me try them all on before I decided on my primary carry gun. My plan was to use the XD during the hotter weather and my larger HK when it cooled off and was easier to conceal. Last night it was in the mid to low 20s, high today might hit 50s and guess which one I'm carrying..... I've fallen in love with the XD and that's what I carry. I think I'd be fine with the 4" version with the same grip but I'm happy enough with what I have that I'm not worried about it.

I would say "other" also. I think all of those factors should be present in your decision, not compromising on any of them which really means whatever works best for you.

But in the end, I think reliability is the most important.
    Jason

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government..."
    -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist (#28)

Here's my .02 take on this........I like the largest sidearm (caliber AND overall size{height, width}) I can CC that I can also easily shoot/handle. Reliabality plays HEAVILY into this.

I carry a G23 in either a CTAC or MTAC holster......I'm 5'9" and 180lbs. I've carried larger and smaller firearms but the G23 fits the overall standards I've set for myself. I'm looking into a 1911 in the near furture and possiably an XD or M&P as well. .45 being the common thread in any furture purchases.

FWIW I also have a background in Naval Physical Security post and patrol.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I chose "Other" as well. I don't think those things are very important - a good holster and reasonable cover garments and I can conceal anything full size. Every day for me is my 5" Baer Monolith + magwell - no one can see it unless I lift my shirt up. But that is for me - and I'm not carrying to a job where my gun being visible would get me fired and where I have to wear a shirt tucked in. JMO

Austin

There are many factors to concern yourself with while looking for a carry gun. First and foremost is reliability. You gotta trust your weapon. Next is the gun you can consistantly hit with under duress and manipulate under stress. Comfortable to carry is important as well because the first two don't make a bit of difference if you left it at home.
    HK Crazy...

P2KSK
    USPF .40
    HK45
    Love my concealco holster

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links