What's your choice in capacity & caliber

This is a discussion on What's your choice in capacity & caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to have a poll on this topic. What do you choose for carry: 1. revolver 2. 1911 or other single stack 3. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your choice in capacity & caliber

I would like to have a poll on this topic.
    What do you choose for carry:
    1. revolver
    2. 1911 or other single stack
    3. High capacity with 9mm or .40
    4. High capacity with .45

I was shopping yesterday and found a nice 1911 CCO. I thought about how nice it would carry (and it was thin!) but it was only 6+1 rounds. As the day went on I considered it more and decided to post it here.

There have been multiple caliber debates of capacity, penetration, energy, and several on platform or brand. Thats not my goal here.

Key factors shine through in choosing and carrying a handgun.
    1. Choose one you will carry (all the time.)
    2. Shot placement.
    3. Carry what you shoot well.
    4. Your rig- holster & belt make a difference.

As I was considering this nice STI pistol, the thought occurred, well if I wanted another gun to carry instead of a range buddy, maybe a XD .45 compact. ie. caliber + capacity. I wanted to see what thoughts the group has on the topic.

To date, my evolved choice has brought me to carry a Glock 23 with 165gr GoldDots in a crossbreed super tuck. How about you?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

VIP Member
    My choice of carry is either a hi-cap 9mm or hi-cap .40 . Normal carry is IWB tuckable holster from Galco, carried at the 4 oclock position. Gun of choice is either my CZ Rami in .40, or my CZ P-01 in 9mm. Once my CZ P-06 .40 arrives the P-01 will probably move to the nightstand. Personal preference is .40 over 9mm.

The Glock 23 is an excellent compromise between capacity and stopping power. With the .40S&W being very close in size of the 9mm, but yet very close to the stopping capability of the .45ACP. Given the same size carry gun, you can carry a lot more .40S&W rounds then you can .45ACP.

Everything does come down to shot placement - hitting someone 5 times in the arm will not be as effective as hitting them 3 times in the chest and twice in the arm. That being said with the Glock 23 (13+1) you will still have possibly as many as 9 more rounds still available after shooting 5 rounds.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

My every day carry is a S&W Model 65 loaded with six Remington 158 gr SJHP 357 Magnums, backed up with a Safariland Comp II speedloader full of same.

At this point I have two semi auto pistols and neither fits my hand and points as well as my two revolvers (the other being a Model 637). IMO, having a handgun that points naturally and makes getting good hits easier is worth more than all the ammo in the world.

My Model 65 is the weapon I practice and train with the most, and the one I am most accurate with, by far.

Also consider the fact that getting hit in the right place by one 357 Magnum almost always ceases hostilities.

It is carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at 4:30, though I am anxiously waiting for a Cochise Defender from Kevin.

1911 and XD 40 are my choices. I alternate between them but the 45 acp is so nice I have 2, both Colts.

VIP Member
    Hi Cap 9mm,Revo.38 special....
    I'll get my chair...

Hi-Cap 9mm in a full size Beretta.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Administrator
    Different tools for different roles... They all have their place in my stable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carry single stack be it 9mm or .45 . Seldom a revolver tho a j frame has its place in an outside coat pocket come cold weather .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carry both revolvers and semi autos. My most frequent carry is a revolver, (GP100) loaded up with Speer GD 125gr .357mag. If I'm carrying one of my snubs it's 125gr 38spl+p. My preference in semi auto carry is 9mm and I alternate between my Beretta Brigadier and myXD9 Service. Like Sixto, they all have a place in my Barn.
    Last edited by wmhawth; December 2nd, 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Glock 9mm, loaded with Speer LE GD 124gr.

Capacity...

Caliber...

Humm...

How about "Control"? If you can't control the gun and make it hit what you want it to, the original choices mean nothing.

I strongly believe (for my own personal use) in carrying handguns that I enjoy shooting and can shoot accurately within 25 yards. I realize that self-defense situations occur at significantly shorter ranges but I want to carry the same tools I use at the range.

As such, while my P7M8 (9mm) gets the most holster time, I also carry my Kimber Gold Combat and Sig P220 (both 45). Obviously given my choices, capacity is not a vital criteria, although I could certainly see myself carrying a higher cap handgun (such as a BHP, Sig P229, or HK P30) if/when I acquire one.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Capacity...

Caliber...

Humm...

How about "Control"? If you can't control the gun and make it hit what you want it to, the original choices mean nothing.
    Agreed.

I carry 8 rounds in my cw40 kahr, and if I need more than that then its obvious I got stupid and let myself get into the wrong section of town where gangs run..or I cant hit the broad side of a barn in which case those extra rounds are just gonna fly around and hit someone other than the bad guy..
    A well placed shot with 40 cal hollowpoint and you will only need one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links