S&W Internal Lock on an M&P

This is a discussion on S&W Internal Lock on an M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read and heard of issues with the internal lock on the newer S&W revolvers mysteriosly engaging during use. Has anyone heard of the ...

I have read and heard of issues with the internal lock on the newer S&W revolvers mysteriosly engaging during use. Has anyone heard of the same issue on the M&P 9 semiautos? I am looking to purchase the M&P as a general shooter and HD BUG to my Rem 870. My wife is interested in learning to shoot a handgun. We have 3 children ranging from newborn to 9 year old and she would rather have more safety than less. I am willing to do what I need to in order to "keep the peace" at home with her, but not so much as to sacrifice reliability on a firearm that may be called upon for defense purposes. Would appreciate hearing anyone's experience with the M&P semiautos and any issues with the internal lock. Thanks!

M&P comes with or without - your choice

If you go to the S&W website and look at details on the M&P models:

S&W M&P specs

You will see that you can buy the M&P either with or without an internal lock. For example, the Model 209001 has an internal lock, and the virtually identical Model 209201 has no internal lock. The price is the same on both.

If only we could get S&W to offer this choice on their revolvers.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Forget the internal lock and get a finger operated quick access safe.

Let's assume that the lock will work 100% of the time. Even then, what will be the consequences of needing the gun in a hurry and not finding the key? Or fumbling around with it when seconds count?

I have a M&P 9mm full size without the lock or magazine disconnect. It's been 100% and I have around 1,000 rounds through it so far.
    Accurate, easy to shoot and very "ergonomic".

With children around, I think the suggestion on the "finger" lock box is a good one. I would think it would be faster to arm yourself with the lock box as opposed to fumbling with a key.

You might consider getting a M&P without the key but with the mag disconnect. Adds a layer of safety. Remove the mag and the gun won't fire. But, with kids, I think the lock box is a good idea.

Cloudpeak

I've read a lot of posts at the M-P board on the guns, never heard of an internal lock failure on an auto. Mine doesn't have one. The internal lock on the auto is not remotely similar to the lock on the revolver as far as mechanics.
    What Would Gumby Do?

My M&P9 fullsize has both the internal lock and magazine disconnect and serves as my HD handgun. I have not found the internal lock to inhibit the M&P's operation nor have I heard of any failures. Like sheepdog mentioned, the internal lock on the M&P autoloaders is quite different than that on Smith's revolvers.

Links