The weight factor

This is a discussion on The weight factor within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many folks make a choice based initially on cal and size (the two being in part sometimes inter related), to suit their carry options. I ...

View Poll Results: Gun choice weight considerations

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light as possible for size.

99 51.30%
  • Heavy from choice.

27 13.99%
  • Weight is unimportant.

67 34.72%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The weight factor

Assistant Administrator

The weight factor

Many folks make a choice based initially on cal and size (the two being in part sometimes inter related), to suit their carry options. I have said often, as I have very good concealment options, I choose large and heavy - I like control and capacity.

If however you have made your size choice - the next thing is the weight factor ... to this end, outa pure curiosity a poll for y'all - just to sample the water and find out how many people go light as main choice or maybe don't even want to consider the weight aspect much at all.

I guess I think most about snubs where weight choices are most variable - the airweights and Scandiums - not my choice. Then too with semi's - the choices between polymer vs all metal - perhaps choosing aluminum over all steel.

Let's see how the weight choices stack up and reasons for choices..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I like the alloy framed 1911's. All steel gets a little heavy on the belt for me.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Went with unimportant. However, I feel that it's a nice tertiary third.

If size and catridge are what I want, lighter is nice as long as it's still rather shootable.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I like a medium weight gun not to heavy but not super light. I want moderate recoil and good capacity. I don't mind carrying a heavier gun as long as I can conceal it and have a good belt and holster to make it comfortable, but I do tend to fatigue more throughout the day with a heavier carry as I have a bum right leg and I carry on that side. Anyways, if I was to pocket carry I would want something lighter, but I don't so I'm fine with my xd9sc.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Sweet spot - mid 20 ounce range

Over time I have carried a variety of handguns, and have decided that for belt carry, my favorites are mainly in the 23 to 28 ounce range (empty weight). That seems to be the best compromise for me between being heavy enough to handle recoil well, but light enough for extended carry without discomfort or tugging on the belt.

Some of my favorites in this weight range have been:

23-24 ounces - Glock 19, Glock 23, H&K USP 40c

25 ounces - Colt Defender, Kahr MK9

28 ounces - Kimber Pro CDP

If you're carrying in the pocket these might be a little too heavy, and I prefer a 16 ounce S&W 642 airweight revolver in that mode.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

ree
    Concealability and weight are a big issue for me. I haven't been carrying that long and haven't revised enough of the wardrobe to accommodate a larger heavy gun yet. My current perspective is it's better to always have a small gun on me than no gun at all because it was too burdensome to carry. But I do have a longing to upside to something bigger in both caliber and round capacity.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wear a .50 Desert Eagle in an ankle hoster.

I don't find weight to be important. I'm sure that there is a limit, but I'm looking forward to a stainless steel 1911 Gov. I have carried as much as six pounds on my belt and in my pockets on a daily basis.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I don't yet have my permit, but I've been getting used to the idea (and reality) of carrying by lugging around my full-size Springfield GI 1911, and I haven't yet been bothered by the weight. And, since I currently work at home (and don't go out much), I am wearing it 12-16 hours a day. Now, the fact that is in a Fobus holster clipped on to my old, thin, cheap dress belt has been causing me some trouble, and that is no doubt not helped by the weight of the gun. But the felt weight is no biggie...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I do not care about weight, I choose concealability, capacity and power but not in that order
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I wear a .50 Desert Eagle in an ankle hoster.

I don't find weight to be important. I'm sure that there is a limit, but I'm looking forward to a stainless steel 1911 Gov. I have carried as much as six pounds on my belt and in my pockets on a daily basis.
    I'm sorry, but are you serious?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    I'm sorry, but are you serious?
    I had to start wearing bell-bottoms so that my jeans would fit around the pistol. It took a little getting used to, but now when I am in the gym, I only do presses with the right leg because it is not nearly as conditioned as the left now.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I prefer some weight. If I can conceal it I don't mind carrying it. Much more pleasant to shoot and easier to control.

I have never weighed all the stuff on my belt before. Keys, gun (steel 1911 full size), holster, mag pouch and full mag, super leatherman. wonder what that tallies up to?
    But caliber and concealability are my biggest considerations. Weight not so much with the right setup of belt and holster...that's what makes it all do-able.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I like the alloy framed 1911's. All steel gets a little heavy on the belt for me.
    Agreed.

Last week I went all week (7 days) carrying a full size full steel SigArms GSR.
    Today I am back to carrying my normal CCW an alloy frame Colt Defender. The weight difference as felt seems to be 100%. As in carrying the Sig seems to be akin to carrying two Defenders.
    At combat distances I shoot equally well with either though am faster shot to shot with accuracy with the much heavier longer sight radius Sig which also has much better Novak combat sights.

Weight is noticeable if and when you notice it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Mine concealed carry preferences are all steel so I chose heavy. I like the way they handle and shoot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links