S&W 642 - Laser Grips & Speed Loaders

This is a discussion on S&W 642 - Laser Grips & Speed Loaders within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering purchase of a 642 snubbie and if I do, I'll definitely get a couple of speed loaders. The gun of interest has the Crimson ...

Thread: S&W 642 - Laser Grips & Speed Loaders

S&W 642 - Laser Grips & Speed Loaders

Considering purchase of a 642 snubbie and if I do, I'll definitely get a couple of speed loaders. The gun of interest has the Crimson Trace grips. The laser is on the right side, and the cylinder opens to the left so I'm thinking the standard HKS speedloader will work just fine.

But, I suspect at least one person in the group (or 1000) actually has speedloaders for a 642 with laser grips ... and they KNOW whether it works or not, and which model number I should get.

TIA everyone. Have a safe holiday; may Santa fill yer wool hunting socks with lots of shooting goodies!

Cray

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Considering purchase of a 642 snubbie and if I do, I'll definitely get a couple of speed loaders. The gun of interest has the Crimson Trace grips. The laser is on the right side, and the cylinder opens to the left so I'm thinking the standard HKS speedloader will work just fine.

But, I suspect at least one person in the group (or 1000) actually has speedloaders for a 642 with laser grips ... and they KNOW whether it works or not, and which model number I should get.

TIA everyone. Have a safe holiday; may Santa fill yer wool hunting socks with lots of shooting goodies!

Cray
    The HKS and Safariland speedloaders will work. I chamfered the cylinders on my S&W 642CT and Dremmel-ed the top front edge of the left stocks to provide more clearance. The Bianci speedstrips will work of course.

I have a 640-1 with CT grips and the HKS speedloader works fine for me. Its HKS model 36-A

It will work fine. However, I didn't care at all for the crimson trace I put on my 340PD.

Ron
    I suggest that you get the model 405 CTLG, rather then the model that S&W puts on the gun from the factory. They are a bit smaller, so make pocket carry somewhat easier and take up some of the recoil. My speedloader works perfectly, as is, but sorry I don't recall the model.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

After using both the 405 & 305 CT grips I chose the CT 305.
    Reason: no appreciable difference in pocket carry and I liked all four fingers on the grip along with little to no difference in felt recoil. All in all they fit my hand better. I suggest you try both before purchase. Yes- speedloader works just fine. Although most holsters work fine with the CT grips, let the holster maker know when ordering.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

What about using Bianchi speedstrips instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    What about using Bianchi speedstrips instead?
    Thanks for the responses folks; that's exactly what I need. As for the speed strips, I have a few .. the strengths are portabilty and they pretty much work for any .38/.357 revolver.

I doubt they're as fast as the speedloaders though. But, they're a lot more bulky. After I get the speedloaders and carry them for a whhile, I may decide the speed strips are a better choice for a BUG ..

Thanks again!

cray

Distinguished Member
    I just bought a HKS and a safariland speedloader for my 340 and i liked the HKS better .

Well...I have the LG-105 for my 642.

I just developed bad habits with it (I really do not want to go into this again) and changed back to wood grips w/Tyler...much, much better.

Speed loaders do work...I carry the speed strips because they fit so much nicer in pants pockets. For serious carry...my .357 mag GP100...I had it smithed to take moon clips...which is really the way to go for quick revolver reload.

My laser grip is for sale BTW.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I doubt they're as fast as the speed loaders though. But, they're a lot more bulky. After I get the speed loaders and carry them for a while, I may decide the speed strips are a better choice for a BUG ..
    Just another angle of the pros and cons.
    With adrenalin rushing you motor skills aren't that great, so speed should not be affected by these 2 choices, they will both be clumsy. As for size, try to put a speed loader into a watch pocket on your jeans, correct it won''t fit, but a speed strip will. I carry one there daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Just another angle of the pros and cons.
    With adrenalin rushing you motor skills aren't that great, so speed should not be affected by these 2 choices, they will both be clumsy. As for size, try to put a speed loader into a watch pocket on your jeans, correct it won''t fit, but a speed strip will. I carry one there daily.
    Point well taken Trucker; thanks for taking the time to comment.

cray

I had the same setup, but, scrapped and sold the grips. Practice and you will be fine without the grips.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

speed strips are the way to go. fits in the pocket better. speed loader are ok for the dash area of your car and/or winter coat pocket. i would dump the laser and i would train in the "point and shoot" method with the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links