Ruger SP101 3in without hammer spur?

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 3in without hammer spur? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in purchasing a Ruger SP101 .357 with 3in barrel. However, I would prefer a spurless hammer. Please advise me about these options (or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 3in without hammer spur?

Ruger SP101 3in without hammer spur?

I'm interested in purchasing a Ruger SP101 .357 with 3in barrel. However, I would prefer a spurless hammer. Please advise me about these options (or give me more options)?

1) Have a gunsmith remove the hammer spur. I know this is possible, but I'd rather not have the extra expense, and the time without the gun (many gunsmiths have a long turnaround time).

2) Buy and install a Ruger spurless hammer myself. Is this replacement part available, and can it be installed by a regular joe like me? I have some skill in replacing parts in 1911's, etc but nothing like gunsmithing skills.

3) Remove the spur from the original hammer myself. I've read articles about "DIY" hammer dehorning, but nothing about DIY hammer spur removal.

I know Ruger has a 2.4 inch hammerless model, but I guess my heart is set on a 3 in hammerless model. Ah, gun lust! :)

Sincerely, AC

2. Remove Ads

I'd take the longer barreled model as well. Though I'm personally not at all keen on spurless revolvers, if I was to modify one I'd go with a factory part over a altered part if possible.

Hey, welcome to the Forum! What's with the AccordionCowboy moniker?

Know what the difference in an onion and an accordion?

People cry when they chop up onions.

Numerich (www.e-gunparts.com) lists them but they are out of stock at this time. It is also noted that this is a "Normally factory-fitted" part. Chances are Ruger won't even sell you one. They'd probably replace it for you though.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Gunsmith

It would take about 2 hours of shop time to cut the spur and polish out the cutting marks. I'd charge about $40 or so probably. If you wanted to do it yourself, you'll need a good hacksaw or good Dremel cut off wheel, a file, and a couple of pieces of sandpaper or emory paper in various grits. It is not a hard home project. You can also do a trigger job while you have it apart. My girl's bedside gun is a 3" in .38spl.

If Ruger will sell you their spurless hammer, putting it in the gun is fairly easy deal. Check with them, or see if they'll swap it out for you.
    I've torn down my SP 101 several times, fairly simple to work on. I've got both the standard hammer and the spurless. I prefer the spurless for dropping in a pocket. Also nothing there to gouge you, when carryin IWB or smartcarry.

Bobbing the factory hammer yourself would be a little tedious in cutting it off and then polishing up the raw edge. But nothing requiring highly specialized skills , tools or advanced gunsmithing knowledge.

How about taking most of the spur off, leaving just enough to still thumb cock it.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    What will the gun be used for? If for Defense only then hammerless is fine and a matter of what looks good to you. I have the 3" version and want to get the hammer bobbed for the looks and because for carry, I simply can't imagine a situation where I would want to use single action. If there is such a situation that is justifiable, I can easily pull the trigger back to the point where it is single action. Other than those considerations I don't think it matters at all other than your preference.

I doubt Ruger will do it without you sending it back. I would be hesitant to do it myself unless your skilled and have some experience working with metal.

Personally, I'd recommend you consider sending it to someone like Gemini Customs. Their prices seem reasonable and they specialize in SP101s. Maybe if you call Marc, he can quote you a lead time that is better than what you're thinking. They also sell some "wondersights" for the SP101 that can replace the front sight with a gold bead, night sight, green or red fiber optic, etc and they're NICE.

Some thoughts to consider.

God Bless
    Gideon

Mo
    I've been looking for a SP101 and that's indeed the setup I'm looking for. If I would have to bob the hammer no biggie. Just buy a replacement factory hammer and make sure it fits your gun, then dremel cutoff wheel, sanding wheel and polish wheel.

Here was my first attempt w/a S&W 637. I'm happy with it. It doesn't look as smooth as with an older K-frame because the back of the hammer isn't flush with the frame to begin with. It sits below the surface of the frame with only the spur itself sticking out.

I cut off enought to remove the spur but not enough to cause light primer strikes.

Just buy it!

Administrator
    My suggestion would be...if you are planning on keeping this revolver then remove the spur from the original factory fit hammer.

You can ALWAYS buy an aftermarket hammer later on or send it to Ruger to have them re-fit a standard hammer later on.

Why buy an extra hammer now and then just sit on it as a spare part...possibly forever.

There will never be a shortage of Ruger hammers available from the factory probably for another 25 or 30 years.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mo
    The thoughts behind buying a replacement hammer are that I can switch back and forth as I want, I can sell it with either installed to suit the buyer and also, if I jacked it up by cutting wrong or making it too light to reliably ignite a primer, I wouldn't be down a gun hoping that a replacement hammer fits right.

It was like $25. Well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for all the info!

Glad a 3 inch SP101 with spurless hammer isn't totally, well, nutty. :)

Thanks for all the useful info! Right now I am leaning toward a 3 inch, DIY hammer dehorning at home. I've always wanted a Dremel toolset. :)

Now... onto researching an IWB holster for SP101 3 in... fun!

PS: AccordionCowboy came from my brief time as a Cowboy Action shooter. Yes, I do play accordion, but I play a cajun accordion "squeezebox" (one row of buttons, not a keyboard). I found out that the cajun accordion is actually authentic to pre 1873 American West. So I would play my squeezebox between CAS stages and, well, a nickname was born. Sadly, I had to give up SASS (and sell most of my gear) after a recent divorce. But I still have my stainless Vaqueros, my Kirkpatrick Silver King buscadero rig, and my Marcel Savoy Acadian accordion!

Kirkpatrick Silver King: http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/h_k-59.htm

Marcel Savoy Accordion: http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOL...g.asp?Page=295

AccordionCowboy! http://acoustic.meetup.com/70/members/4340441

Thanks, all. AC

Great stuff AC!

Aren't the button accordions "push/pull" models. That is, the key plays one note when the bellows open and a different note when they close?

I don't think I'd be coordinated enough to play one of those.

I have four accordions myself but am enough of a gentleman not to play them in public. I've got a good story though that I'll post in the humor section.

If I wanted it without the spur, I'd buy it that way. Ruger will sell you the hammer, I believe that it's around $75 for some reason.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Diatonic Accordions & Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Great stuff AC!

Aren't the button accordions "push/pull" models. That is, the key plays one note when the bellows open and a different note when they close?

I don't think I'd be coordinated enough to play one of those.

I have four accordions myself but am enough of a gentleman not to play them in public. I've got a good story though that I'll post in the humor section.
    Thanks much! The cajun accordion or button box is a push-pull accordion, also called "diatonic". You get one note IN and a different note OUT. 10 buttons, 20 notes, one key (C).

Back to guns: As you can see in some of my pics, the AC "concept" includes, well, guns. "What's a cowboy without guns?", I ask the audience. "An INDIAN!" I tell em. :)

Anyway, note that I am playing on the street. A street in Philadelphia. I may be the only performer to combine street minstrelsy with open carry. :) I have a few stories on that, and not all of them are fit for the humor section. :)

Anyway, I am cruising GUNBROKER for a SP101 3in, aka KSP331X. Pickins are slim, best price $414 at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=86671140

FYI, the 3in fixed sight GP100 (KGPF331) cannot be found at all. I am thinking of that as a companion gun. Ah, gun lust!

Thanks again,

AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links