Springfield 1911A1 "Champion" Range Report

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911A1 "Champion" Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; THE GUN : A Springfield GI 4" 1911A1 .45ACP Champion I actually went looking for a mid sized "winter" carry gun. Something I could conceal ...

Thread: Springfield 1911A1 "Champion" Range Report

Springfield 1911A1 "Champion" Range Report

THE GUN: A Springfield GI 4" 1911A1 .45ACP Champion

I actually went looking for a mid sized "winter" carry gun. Something I could conceal under a coat, hoodie, or a sweater. I went to look at mid sized Glocks,M&P's,XD's, and Sig 239/229's. My local range has a great selection of new and used firearms and are amazingly friendly, they'd pull out 10 guns at a time if you wanted to compare them it. When we moved down to the 1911's, I picked this one up, I knew it was the one. I got some free range time and carry ammo out of the deal, so I went up there today to break it in. I used 200rounds WWB, 20 HST's, 20 Corbons.

Fit and Finish: 8.5/10
    The guns seems really tight, and the GI finish is pretty nice. The only thing seems to be like it might scratch up really easy. Everything seems machined well, and it also comes with a very nice case, and accesories. The wood grips are very nice. It is a very aesthetically pleasing gun. It scores bonus points for its retro-ness.

How it feels: 9.5/10
    Well, it's a 1911, the grip angle is perfect for me. I'm not into the huge beavertails, so this one fits me great. It's thin and heavy, just like a 1911 should be...lol.

Shooting it: 8.5/10
    I've heard 1911 break-in horror stories, so I was expecting the worst. I had 0 malfs and the accuracy of the gun is great. However the GI sights are garbage (just like my CZ-52 sights). I thought about just putting a little white paint on them, but I will probally just have them replaced. But I had no problem blowing CM out of the target, I really didn't have any stray shots, everything seemed to go where I wanted it. The gun is hefty, so recoil is not an issue. I'd put it somewhere between a 9mm and .40cal polymer gun recoil. I actually found myself making better follow up shots than my Beretta.

Capacity/Action/Saftey/Punch: 8.0/10
    7+1 isn't the greatest capacity, however I do know there are larger mags available. It does kind of suck that they only give you one mag, at least they are not $40 a mag like Sigs. Coming from mostly a polymer background, the action/saftey/takedown, is going to take some practice to get down pat, but everything works as it should. As far as punch, .45acp is a formidable SD cartridge.

CCWablity: 6.5/10
    It is a hefty large weapon, even if it is "Commander" sized. But it is much thinner than most other mid-sized non-1911 .45's. I don't see myself carrying this in the summertime. I am going on a holster search here soon. I'd like to put some more rounds down range before carrying it and do alot more dryfire practicing. As long as you can wear a jacket,coat,cover garnment of some type, this gun is totally CC worthy.

I have often wondered the big deal with 1911's. Now the bug has bitten me. I really didn't want a BBQ gun, so the GI is perfect. It doesn't have alot of the features that alot of 1911's have, but seems to work awesome to me. My only gripe is the sights, and I may put thinner carry grips on. But this is my first new 1911 and I am very pleased. The plastic may hide in the safe until the summer,....

Heres a crappy cellphone pic, my brother has my camera :(
    Last edited by Schwebel; December 4th, 2007 at 05:57 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the champ. Carefull they are very addicting. Put a set of night sights on that thing an you will be rockin. I have one for sale right now but the more I play with it the less I want to sell it.
    How much did it set you back if you don't mind?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thanks for the range report... Very thorough! Springfield's GIs are definitely a viable 1911 at an affordable price, all backed with unbelievable customer service. I myself have a Springfield Loaded Champion Lightweight.

1943 - 2009

I Really Hate To Say This, But...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Good buy! I used to have one and carried it quite a bit. I believe I had Pachmayr grips on mine and it thinned it up nicely, plus added some extra traction fro the hands. And yes, the sights do kind of suck, they are a tad bit hard to acquire in low light situations. It is one of those guns I regret selling. I used a Galco IWB holster and it was very comfortable to wear concealed.
    Great report though and good luck with it!

Nice report.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I agree with the Captain!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    I sure like my Champion, Springfield makes a solid 1911!

I have used Wilson 47D's with mine and they work great, (8+1), and I have a 10 rounder for spare carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Gotta love a 1911, good report, glad your happy
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    < ---My Champ. Loaded LW is a great gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Good job.

Congratulations.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Schwebel, the recent horror stories with 1911s are few and far between. Today's crop of 1911s are pretty good. Lastly, I have had problems with my custom 9mm Colt 1911 but it started life as a 45acp. When the ejection problems, rounds bouncing off my forehead, are gone mine will be superb! Regards, Richard

Links