Daughter wants her own pistol

Daughter wants her own pistol

This is a discussion on Daughter wants her own pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter is 16 and has discovered that she loves shooting - has used .22, 9mm, .40, .357. Likes the shotgun too, but she really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daughter wants her own pistol

Question Daughter wants her own pistol

My daughter is 16 and has discovered that she loves shooting - has used .22, 9mm, .40, .357. Likes the shotgun too, but she really wants a handgun that she could consider her 'own', and practice alot with. She is thinking ahead and wants to carry when she is 21. So I want to do my part as a good dad :-) Am thinking a Ruger .22 might be the ticket for now - inexpensive to feed, little recoil. But she also likes the 9mm.. any recommendations for pistols that might work for someone her age?
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

I think a .22 is a great choice - she has 5 years before she can legally carry in most states. She can burn all the .22 ammo she wants without eating up (your?) funding. When she's 19 or 20, look at a carry weapon... still gives her time to practice with it.

Ruger makes some great plinking guns - I have an old Hi Standard .22 competition pistol I absolutely love, if you can still find them.
    Later, when she's looking at a carry weapon... has to be her choice. Let her try as many as possible; that's what I'm going through right now in search of my "perfect" carry weapon. There are just too many factors to consider; weight and concealability, capacity, "stopping power", grip feel, trigger pull, price, etc...

I assume I don't need to give you any shtick about safety; drill the 4 Golden Rules into her head until she mumbles them in her sleep. Good for you giving her training early :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    She is thinking ahead and wants to carry when she is 21.
    My girl is 14 now and can't wait till she can 'carry'. She says it's just too crazy out there.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    My girl is 14 now and can't wait till she can 'carry'. She says it's just too crazy out there.
    +1
    Good job raising your kids right..
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Drill safe practices into their heads until they are legal to carry. Young people tend to get emoional and I would hate to see any relatively rational person get in trouble because they let emotion take control of their higher reason.

My daughters have shown some intrest in this subject as well.......but it's secondary to boys, friends, cheerleading, shopping, school drama, etc. When they have "less inportant things" going on they'll jump on an invitation to go to the range. They've questioned me on guns, carrying, etc. and my response is to wait til you can leagly (8 years from now for my youngest).........that's plenty of time to investigate diffrent types of firearms and see what feels right, they shoot stright and competently, etc. Right now they're more intrested in being kids.......and right now that all they really need to be. They're minds are opening up and they're learing to weigh the info presented to them and make decisions on that. I'm very happy with 'em and we'll cross the 'gun bridge' when it comes into view.

Just my .02 worth.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    But she also likes the 9mm.. any recommendations for pistols that might work for someone her age?
    Isn't practice with what you carry one of our mantras. Assuming in a few years that a 9mm is what she will carry when the time comes, the more proficient she is with it the better. Sounds like a no brainer 9mm assuming you or / and she can afford to buy and feed it. May not be a bad thing for her to buy her own gun and ammo. Reasonable rules apply of course. Like she is a minor, having a gun is a privilege not a right conditional upon; maybe her GPA, drug & alcohol free behaviour, the gun stays at home unless you are with her or approve other supervision. Gun is locked up unloaded anytime her friends are over. etc You know your daughter best so make the appropriate rules for her.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My daughter has her "own" pistol, its a browning buckmark camper and she loves it, she used to have a sw 22a but the buckmark is a much better pistol.

It ain't much, but a KelTec P32 is much better than her car keys.
    That's what my daughter carries.

Check Snith and Wesson 317 or 617. Both are 10 shot .22LR which makes a nice ammo capacity. Plus it has the heft and feel of a "real" gun....or if she likes the autos look at the Sig Mosquito. Looks and feels like a Sig P series. A cop buddy of mine has one to train with. He says it is about 90% the size of the p226 he carries for duty. Good luck. She sounds like a good kid. Not as many of those out there as before.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Heres what I would do... I would buy her a pistol that would be suitable to carry when she is old enough. It wouldnt become hers until she achieved certain things such as passing an advanced pistol course at one of the training places, and the gun would become hers once she "graduated".
    IMO, nothing is more dangerous than turning a young CCW'r loose without some more training than plinking at paper targets on the weekend. If your going to do it, do it right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My daughters were raised in a home where firearms were an everyday part of their lives--no big deal. One carries, one does not, but she has a husband that does.

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest a .22 for starters. Ammo costs are lower and who knows what new ,innovative carry guns they will have in 5-6 years.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My oldest son is 16, going to be 17 in a few days actually. His first gun, which he has had since he was 14, is a Sig P239 in 9mm. He is very good with it and it is his. I own it, but when he turns 21, I will transfer ownership of it to him and he will take his carry permit course with it.

My daughter, who is 13 is currently trying to decode what she wants as her first handgun. She is leaning toward either the Glock 19, an XD 9mm service size, or a S&W M&P 9compact. She just needs to make up her mind but, she is having a hard time deciding which she likes best. That's OK, she has a year or so before we will be ready to buy it.

As for a good gun for a person or 16 years of age, I would give you the same advice as I give someone in their 20's, 30's or 40's. Have her try out several guns. See what ones fit her hand. She what guns she shoots best with. If she isn't comfortable with the gun and it doesn't fit her hand she will not shoot well with it, and she won't enjoy shooting it. You can make suggestions but ultimately, she must pick the gun that is right for her.

Congrats on having such a level headed and right thinking daughter who is already ready at 16 to take control of her own life and protect herself. You should be proud of her and proud of the job you have done as her Father. You have raised her right!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thank you all for weighing on in on this! Yes, she is quite a little girl - completed a handgun safety course this summer (mother and daughter both). Her pink Razer cell phone, pink camera, etc make me fear she will prefer her handgun in pink as well. Well, she asked to go with me to the big MWCA gun show in St Paul, MN this weekend to have a look around but as has been suggested she is going to have to spend alot more time trying guns out at the range. Fortunately our local range lets you try everything they have in a specific caliber for a flat fee of less than $20. She should have fun trying all those different 9mm's :-)
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links