S&W 1911 grip safety/FP safety problems?

This is a discussion on S&W 1911 grip safety/FP safety problems? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here shooting a S&W 1911 have problems with the grip safety not engaging the FP safety without lots of extra effort to make the ...

Thread: S&W 1911 grip safety/FP safety problems?

Anyone here shooting a S&W 1911 have problems with the grip safety not engaging the FP safety without lots of extra effort to make the grip "right" or having any signs of timing problems with the set-up? Signs of peening on the safety plunger? I want a S&W 1911 in the 4.25 size, but their FP safety turns me off due to problems I had with the Kimber version. If you had problems, was S&W's fix enough, or is it just...the design?
    TIA
    What Would Gumby Do?

JD
    Administrator
    I only had problems on my Kimber series II after I changed out the main spring housing, but some light filing on the inside face of the housing fixed that.

Smith had a recall on them back in '06 IIRC.

Personally I prefer NOT having the additional safety, and like Springfields approach at it by using a heavier spring and lighter (Ti) firing pin.

When it comes to the firing pin safeties, I prefer the current Colt design over the Schwartz design used in Kimbers, Smiths, and a couple of others.

Some complain that in the Colts the trigger pull is afffected with the added guts of the safety, but I can't tell the difference.

I'd suggest checking out either 1911Forum.com or m1911.org to check the threads under the S&W sections to do do some research on the subject.

Just get a 1911 without the firing pin safety - it's a worthless anti-lawyer measure, condition 1 series 70 guns are safe as ever and you won't have to worry about engaging the FPS when you should be worrying about other things.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Just get a 1911 without the firing pin safety - it's a worthless anti-lawyer measure, condition 1 series 70 guns are safe as ever and you won't have to worry about engaging the FPS when you should be worrying about other things.
    But the problem with that is finding a Commander sized (meaning a true 4.25 bushing bbl, not a 4" bushingless) 1911 with the desired options from the factory for under $1K.

I have a S&W 1911Sc Commander model, and I have almost the exact opposite "problem". The grip safety is disengaged with only a very slight touch... just a couple of millimeters of movement. It isn't a problem yet, but could it continue to worsen and get to the point where it doesn't even function as a safety anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    I have a S&W 1911Sc Commander model, and I have almost the exact opposite "problem". The grip safety is disengaged with only a very slight touch... just a couple of millimeters of movement. It isn't a problem yet, but could it continue to worsen and get to the point where it doesn't even function as a safety anymore?
    You don't need the grip safety anyways, the thumb safety is more than enough. Jeff Cooper pinned the grip safety on his 1911s.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    If you had problems, was S&W's fix enough, or is it just...the design?
    TIA
    S&W will fix the pistol if you have a timing problem the safety. It really isn't a bad design if it is carried out correctly, the Swartz safety was first used in 1937, it was dropped during WWII as the US Government requested their M1911A1s without it. The safety was designed by Colt engineer William L. Swartz.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    The grip safety is disengaged with only a very slight touch... just a couple of millimeters of movement.
    "It isn't a problem yet, but could it continue to worsen and get to the point where it doesn't even function as a safety anymore?"

ccwguy
    No, that would not happen. The grip safety is basically a lever flange that moves up to unblock the trigger.
    So once it moves up and off the trigger bow it basically does not contact anything else and for that reason it's not normally a part that would "wear" or get worse over time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have STI and Springfield, and prefer them for the reasons the users above stated (and my Kimber problem), but I may get a chance at an excellent deal on a S&W very soon. I have had very good response with S&W service in the past, but wanted to avoid it at all. I noticed several posters here have the guns. I'll wander over to the 1911 forum and see what they have to say, but it seems like troubles are often over-reported.
    What Would Gumby Do?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    but it seems like troubles are often over-reported.
    A lot of people are quicker to complain, than to praise.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I've never had a problem with the 1911 grip safeties.
    I have had an occasional pinch of the web of my hand.
    Solution:
    1) Remove grips
    2) Tape grip safety down
    3) Replace grips
    Problem solved.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Sponsored Links