Opinions on SIG's for a CCW - Page 2

Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

This is a discussion on Opinions on SIG's for a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Sig Pro .40 every day in a Crossbreed IWB holster and never have anyone notice....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I carry a Sig Pro .40 every day in a Crossbreed IWB holster and never have anyone notice.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    I really like the P-220 and carry one of the five I have 70% of the time. In the spring and summer that means under a t-shirt. The other 30% I carry either my Springfield Champion or my S&W 1911PD! Man I love .45's!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    JD, you are correct. I just wanted to throw it out there that the 229 size gun can be carried in that fashion. Whether anyone other than me can pull it off, I don't know. I just know that I can- and I kind of doubt I'm the ONLY one.

(Though I do admit to being a weirdo- so maybe it is just me! Heck, until recently I really did believe that the military made the right decision by picking the Beretta over then Sig!!)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Watch out for the width of the grips on the P239. I noticed that one at a local dealer had wood grips that were so thick, the pistol ended up being just about as wide as its double-stack-mag big brothers, and therefore no easier to conceal. Edited to add: the term "T-shirt" covers a lot of territory. There is much difference between a Haynes Beefy-T and those lycra-blend clingy things meant for use as a base layer. Moreover, I live in a hot sticky Gulf Goast climate, and have found polo-style shirts with collars to work better when it is really hot, as the open collar vents better. Looks better, too.
    Last edited by Rexster; December 8th, 2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added shirt info

I would have no problem switching to polos as they are generally made of heavier material and I doubt would be much hotter.....

I am 5'11" and weigh 235 so that should give you a general body shape type....

Seems that some people recommend the P229 but my research has shown the 220 carry is almost exactly the same size......seems to me if you carry a 229 you could just as easily carry a 220 carry.......

Any other opinions?

I find I can carry my 220 in a Desantis 028-80 IWB rig much easier than my XD .40 sub compact. With the XD I use OWB or paddle as IWB is like trying to hold a ball stable. The 220s longer bbl. actually helps stabalize the gun but it's no harder to comceal with a IWB rig.
    Joe70

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I live in a hot sticky Gulf Coast climate, and have found polo-style shirts with collars to work better when it is really hot, as the open collar vents better. Looks better, too.
    I agree. Here in Florida we have the hot and sticky climate to deal with as well. My P239 worn IWB conceals easily under an untucked polo. On cooler days I wear a T-shirt under an unbuttoned sport shirt which provides great concealment and easy access for a quick draw.

As others have stated, almost any gun can be concealed effectively. It just takes a little experimentation by the individual to see what works best for him/her.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I also have a post like this on thehighroad.org site and an interesting point was brought up......a glock 19 with 15+1 capacity is almost the same size as a p239, Glocks have a good reputation for quality and reliability I may go to the range and rent a glock 19 to try along with a P239........generally I havent liked Glocks ergo's but it may be worth looking into.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I also have a post like this on thehighroad.org site and an interesting point was brought up......a glock 19 with 15+1 capacity is almost the same size as a p239, Glocks have a good reputation for quality and reliability I may go to the range and rent a glock 19 to try along with a P239........generally I havent liked Glocks ergo's but it may be worth looking into.
    This is very true... The Glock 19 is a great gun too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know most Glock fans say it's a non issue but I really havent been able to ever get past the lack of safeties on Glocks......I know I know, I'm suppsed to be the safety but 3.5 pds of trigger pull is pretty darn light if you ask me.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I know most Glock fans say it's a non issue but I really havent been able to ever get past the lack of safeties on Glocks......I know I know, I'm suppsed to be the safety but 3.5 pds of trigger pull is pretty darn light if you ask me.
    You can always opt for a heavier trigger from the factory... Glock offers those too ya know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

actually I didnt know that, Thanks for the info Sixto

Administrator
    You're welcome. Heres something to look at;

http://www.glock.com/english/index_options.htm

Click on "trigger spring" and it gives you your options.

Also and equally important, check out the connectors. There are a few different combos that will give you want you want.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Carry this 239 in a Glaco owb....so carry on...or carry me back to ole virginie
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I carry the 229 some (in .40) and its a little big and bulky. It can be done but I don't think it's the most comfortable..
    The one time I got to handle a 239 it felt good and was slim..would be a good pick for ccw.
    On a side note, my dad has the S&W 1911 pd-scandium allow frame and it is gorgeous, just perfect for CCW. I can't say enough great things about that gun, except the price....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links