Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

This is a discussion on Opinions on SIG's for a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a P229 DAK in .40 S&W in an IWB holster in jeans and a t-shirt all the time without any cover garment. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

I carry a P229 DAK in .40 S&W in an IWB holster in jeans and a t-shirt all the time without any cover garment. I carry it at about 3:30 to 4:00. I have no problems concealing it. I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs. I thought it would be a pain in the ass in the summer when it's hotter than hell but it isn't. I didn't spend lots of money on a holster either. I got a $45 holster the day I got my permit in the mail and since then I haven't found the justification to get a different holster. I've carried it for a full day several times and I pretty much forget it's there.

I got the 229 because it is slightly smaller than a full sized (like the 226) but doesn't give up anything. I have a 12 round mag +1 in the pipe.

2. Remove Ads

Oddball,

Thanks for the info. You and I are of similar build and I am considering a P229 Elite for my next concealed carry option. I've been comparing the P229 Elite (I like the SRT and beavertail) with the HK P30, both in 9mm. They have very similar footprints and are both SA/DA. The HK is a few ounces lighter and holds 2 more rounds. The HK is more lefty friendly, although Sigs are certainly manageable for a lefty.

Gotta love research mode!

B.
    Last edited by arawn; December 9th, 2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Looking at the P30, not the P2000

whw
    I can say that the 239 is the only Sig I know of that can be carried concealed without much difficulty.

whw

I carry either a 1911 or one of 5 P220's, The carry 220's are easy to conceal
    I do have custom made holsters for them and a C-Tac, but is is a good reliable carry gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I would have no problem switching to polos as they are generally made of heavier material and I doubt would be much hotter.....

I am 5'11" and weigh 235 so that should give you a general body shape type....

Seems that some people recommend the P229 but my research has shown the 220 carry is almost exactly the same size......seems to me if you carry a 229 you could just as easily carry a 220 carry.......

Any other opinions?
    Tis my exact hight and weight... I carry my P-220R Carry in a VM-II and love it! Wearing it as we speak under a sweater.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the info guys........I went to the range over the weekend and shot a P220 Carry and the P239 and a Glock 19, of the 3 I shot the two SIG's the best with a slight edge going to the P220 Carry, and I just couldnt get the Glock to group reliably for me, nor was it comfortable...........

Now I just have to decide a P220 Carry or a P239 I keep getting mixed reviews on concealing the P220 so I'm not sure.........

A little photo food for thought

Glock 19 and a Full size P220

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys........I went to the range over the weekend and shot a P220 Carry and the P239 and a Glock 19, of the 3 I shot the two SIG's the best with a slight edge going to the P220 Carry, and I just couldnt get the Glock to group reliably for me, nor was it comfortable...........

Now I just have to decide a P220 Carry or a P239 I keep getting mixed reviews on concealing the P220 so I'm not sure.........
    It's going to be all about the grip, the 220 and the 239 are somewhat narrow, I carried a full size 220 for a while and didn't have issues, but I never carried it in just a T-shirt, polo with a t-shirt under was fine, I guess I'm just a two shirt kind of guy...

Does your buddy have any holsters for the guns?

No he doesnt carry concealed but is somewhat of a SIGaholic..........

My 239 .9mm carry well IWB under a shirt - haven't had a problem yet. There is a trade off with capacity and slimness, but a extra mag makes up for it... IMHO

Bottom line you need to make a selection on what works for you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    (Though I do admit to being a weirdo- so maybe it is just me! Heck, until recently I really did believe that the military made the right decision by picking the Beretta over then Sig!!)
    Hahahahahahhaha...nice one! I did too, when all I knew about the Beretta was that Mel Gibson carried one in Lethal Weapon! Ah, how we live and learn.

Another thing - I am really, really, really starting to dislike reading these threads. There's always a few of you jokers piping in with "well, I have 27 Sigs and...." It's driving me nuts!

And, to answer the OPs question (as if it hasn't been answered enough): You can conceal any of them under a T-shirt, depending on your body type, holster options, t-shirt length and weight, etc. Of course, the 239 will be the easiest.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I carry a P 245 quite often in a Mtac from Comtac it can be worn with just a t shirt tucked in or in cool weather it can be worn under a veat sweater or a golf wind breaker. Glocks, Sigs, or 1911 anything in 45 can be carried easily and totally concealed by any of the good IWB tuckable holsters, some of the best are sponsors of this website. It takes a little while to get use to the large frame autos but after a while you notice it more when you don't have one on.

Sponsor
    Sig229 all day, every day. It has replaced my 1911s as my EDC.
    Will get a Sig250 as soon as they become readily available.
    Will get it in .45 or .357 Sig with the compact grip frame and 4" slide.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

I plan on carrying my P220R when I find the right rig and right mode!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I can carry a H&Kc .40, IWB at 4 o"clock with a T shirt and jeans. Shorts would work also with a T shirt. I use darker T's and have no problem. While the 239 is easier to conceal because of size, I think you could conceal any of the choices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links