Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

This is a discussion on Opinions on SIG's for a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Guys- I currently have a S&W 1911PD in layaway and was content for a carry gun but a good friend of mine has three ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

Opinions on SIG's for a CCW

Ok Guys-

I currently have a S&W 1911PD in layaway and was content for a carry gun but a good friend of mine has three of his SIG's for sale, I will buy the 1911 but am also interested in the SIG's

He has a P220 Carry, P229 in 9mm, and a P239 in 9mm......

I would like the P220 but think it may be a little large for concealed carry IWB under a t-shirt which is my preferred method, the P229 is about the same size but a much high capacity but in 9mm, and finally the P239 is nice an slim and would probably conceal the best but has a lower capacity.....

Just focusing on CONCEALABILITY not any caliber aspects, which would you choose and why.....

Again I would like to carry under a t-shirt and jeans IWB with no cover garment......

So which one do you/would you carry, what kind of holster do you use, and how do you like the setup?

Thanks in advance I know I will get great honest advice here.
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I carry the 239 in .40, and the 225 in 9mm.
    Both are exellent choices as well as any 228 or 229.

I use a DeSantis 028 B2 or a kydex IWB that I made.Either one works well.

I carry under a Tshirt all the time without any problems.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Looking at your desired mode of carry, and given the Sigs you listed the 239 is really your only choice varying on exactly how big your shirts are.

The hardest thing to conceal on any pistol worn IWB is the grip, while the 220 is slim, it's also longer, the 229 is longer and wider than the 239. The 239 is short AND slim.

I routinely carry a full sized P220 and P226. The 220 carry is even more concealable than mine.
    (Oh yeah, I got rid of two 1911's and carry only Sig now)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Assistant Administrator
    My EDC is 226 - but 220 or 228 will suit too - this is however OWB with easy concealment options.

I agree with JD re the 239 - it has to be your best choice IMO for your decribed useage.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    ...I would like the P220 but think it may be a little large for concealed carry IWB under a t-shirt which is my preferred method, the P229 is about the same size but a much high capacity but in 9mm, and finally the P239 is nice an slim and would probably conceal the best but has a lower capacity.....

Just focusing on CONCEALABILITY not any caliber aspects, which would you choose and why.....
    Josh
    You answered your own question here I think. If your only focus is "CONCEALABILITY" then your answer seems obvious, the P239.

Take care,

nasm

Some size references from SIG's website and from the S&W Lightweight Commander page:

P220 Carry - 7.1" Long x 5.5" High x 1.5" Wide, 8+1 45acp Capacity, 29 oz.

P229 - 7.1" Long x 5.4" High x 1.5" Wide, 10+1 9mm Capacity, 32.4 oz.

P239 - 6.6" Long x 5.1" High x 1.2" Wide, 8+1 9mm Capacity, 27 oz.

SW 1911PD Commander - 7.7" Long x 5.25" High x 1.2" Wide, 7+1 45acp Capacity, 30.2 oz.

So the P220 is wider and taller than a commander 1911 the 229 is almost exactly the same size as the P220 Carry and the P239 is significantly smaller than all of the others.....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post

So the P220 is wider and taller than a commander 1911 the 229 is almost exactly the same size as the P220 Carry and the P239 is significantly smaller than all of the others.....
    Exactly

Lead Moderator
    Without a doubt the 239 would be the easiest to conceal. You might want to hop over to the SIGForum and do a search. I seem to recall a thread that even included pictures of a 239 and some other SIG models showing dimension comparison.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I disagree with JD. I carry a 228 (sometimes a 226) IWB with nothing more than a t-shirt for most of the summer months. It isn't difficult at all to pull off. The 239 is a great gun, and would serve you well. But, I like having more capacity, so that moves me up to the larger guns.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have 6 Sigs and I change between one of them and one of my Baers for my primary. A great pistol. I'd get the 220 in 45 if I were you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    Whats easier to conceal... with out a doubt the 239. Can you conceal a 229? I bet so, but it will take a little more effort on your part.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator

Talking Your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I disagree with JD. I carry a 228 (sometimes a 226) IWB with nothing more than a t-shirt for most of the summer months. It isn't difficult at all to pull off. The 239 is a great gun, and would serve you well. But, I like having more capacity, so that moves me up to the larger guns.
    While that may be the case for you, without knowing the body type and exact style of dress of the OP, I'm not going to suggest something that may not be able to conceal as desired, I'd feel pretty dippy if he went out and bought a gun thinking he could conceal it based of what works for me or you and it doesn't work for him.

Given his options, while the others may be possible, the 239 is as close to a sure thing (regarding which of the three he can conceal under a T-shirt) that you can get on the net without actually knowing the individual asking the question, or knowing what kind of holster he plans on using.

Can concealing the larger guns under a T-Shirt be done? I'm sure it can.

The question is, can he do it? Which if the OP doesn't even know, so how are we supposed to?

I can conceal a 5" 1911 under a T-shirt doesn't mean everyone can.

That's why I suggested the 239.

I'd pick the little one - P239

Of your three choices, and given your mode of carry under a T shirt, I'd pick the P239 for the reasons others gave - it is smaller with a thinner grip. I have a P229 and find it a little heavy for CCW. The P220 is close in size to the P229 and might also be large for only a T shirt cover garment.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If you like small grips I would go with the P239, but if you have large hands the P239 is a little hard to get a firm grip on it. The P239 shoots very nicely and never failed to shoot anything I ever feed it.

The P220 is an excellent gun, and again (like any SIG) shot every thing I ever feed it. I would also say that it is a little big to be carrying as a CCW.

I've never shoot the P229, but the grip size is very close to the same as the P220 and I believe it would be a very good size and carry capacity weapon. I had consider buying one, before I purchased my 2 Glocks.

Biggest recommendation: Find a range to rent each or ask your friend if you can shoot which ever ones you are considering before you buy.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links