star bm for home defense and ccw

This is a discussion on star bm for home defense and ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yes ive used the search,sold most of my rifle and pistols to pay medical bills,but one i didnt let go was a star bm 9mm ...

Thread: star bm for home defense and ccw

yes ive used the search,sold most of my rifle and pistols to pay medical bills,but one i didnt let go was a star bm 9mm its a great shooter,feels good in the hand, it would shoot as good as my astra a100 which was nice for a hi cap.anyway i keep it for home defense but was wondering about using it for ccw,do you have to dry fire your pistol when you take the course.since ive read about the firing pen problem with my star or can i use snap caps.thanks mike.

Snap caps will (ok, should) take care of any problems dry-firing might cause

As for having to dry fire the pistol during a ccw course, it will depend on the course and instructor, iirc when the Mrs and I did our course (not in arkansas), we had to dry fire our pistols once, but I don't remember why.

Your best bet is to contact the place (or places) you are considering taking the course at and ask them.

thank you.

I always liked the BM9. You should buy spare springs, magazine, and firing pin for it before the sources all dry up. Try VTI first. The BM should make a dandy carry gun with a belt holster. One thing to be aware of. The BM was marketed before all the advances in 9mm ammo/bullet designs. It was made to feed FMJ. Therefore, be sure to find a good defensive round that the gun likes. A second consideration is the use of +P and +P+ ammo in the gun. It was designed before such stuff came along so it may or may not handle it. To be on the safe side I think I would choose a good standard velocity round.

By the way, I taught CCW classes several years ago. We didn't do any dry firing. It's almost impossible to teach a class and permit dry firing in the classroom without somebody being swept, and that's bad even if the gun is unloaded. On the range, we did a good deal of one on one work and there was a little dry firing sometimes on an individual basis, but that was on the firing line in an effort to correct jerking the trigger.

Both my dad and brother-in-law have Star BM pistols and they're wonderful. They both possess great triggers and give good function with HP ammo. They're pretty compact and easy to carry. I like the fact that they are all steel and have enough weight to be pleasant for extended shooting sessions. They exhibit good fit and finish. I feel left out because I didn't snap one up when they were available on the cheap.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have owned a few stars over the years and all were good handguns . I dont off the top of my head remember if i have had a bm or not , the only ones that stand out ( and i am watching for another ) is the pd in .45 I foolishly let them get away and the next one will be a keeper .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

thanks

yeah im happy with it,prices are going up on these bm"s too last one was 199.00in a pawn shop and it wasnt nice as mine, gunshow wanted 250.00 i couldnt believe it,he wouldnt budge.shoot safe.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Yup. When I worked at a local gun shop the BM was the number one seller (closely followed by the Taurus PT92) until SOG ran out. Several of the locals got them for CCW and home defense guns. Great "bang" for your buck. I even know of one range instructor who had the idea of a $300 firearms use and safety class in which each participant got to take home a Star BM. I think that would have been great if the supply hadn't run low.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my (former) Star BM was the most comfortable, accurate, reliable single stack 9mm I have ever fired. I bought mine from a pawn shop after disassembling and inspecting 6 or 7 that he had just gotten in stock. They were all dirty and gritty, with complimentary sand from Spain. The one I took home had the most holster wear, the smoothest action, and a perfect barrel. The dealer was a friend and asked why I didn't choose one of the "better looking" ones. I just smiled, and walked out with a cherry of a shooter. After embarrasing all my range buddies in friendly 9mm match ups, 4 of them, and my son, bought BM's.

These guns were issued to the "state police" (national) of Spain in the mid 70's, as the date stamp on the trigger guard will show. From my experiences, the only problems to look out for are either magazine related, or in a couple of cases the "post" the the slide lock engages may loosen. Even an imperceptable amount of loosness can cause a malfunction. A tiny bit of locktite will cure that one.

As for carry, it's not a whole lot different than most weapons on the original Browning platform ... with one major exception, that being that it has no grip safety.

I screwed up by trading mine for about $100 more than I originally paid, but in retrospect I wish I had kept it and just forked out the cash for the new acquisition.

Do a bit of internet searching specifically for the Star Model BM pistol. You may be surprised at the volume of information available.

surv

Sponsored Links