New Carry Gun- S&W 9mm Sigma

This is a discussion on New Carry Gun- S&W 9mm Sigma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a gun on layaway for quite a while at the local gun store. Kind of figured it got put back in stock, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carry Gun- S&W 9mm Sigma

I've had a gun on layaway for quite a while at the local gun store. Kind of figured it got put back in stock, but went in today to check and see if I could pick it up today. Well, like I thought, it did go back to stock. I had 200 on it with 189 left to take care of today.

Sales staff was very friendly, went and checked on everything and came back to tell me I could apply the 200 on a new gun and offered to show me some different ideas. They had a sale on the Sigmas, 300 out the door w/ 3 Hi Cap 16 round magazines, a 50 dollar rebate and an additional 2 hi cap magazines coming with the rebate. I ended up with a box of speer gold dots, an uncle mike's IWB and some Hoppes gun oil for about 160 out the door.
    so for 360 I got:

NIB Sigma 9mm
    3 Hi Cap Magazines
    50 Speer Gold Dots
    IWB holster
    Gun oil

Then a 50 dollar rebate, which is going towards good leather for the gun, and 2 more 16 round magazines.

The original gun I put on layaway was a used S&W 3913 with one Mag...I think I did well.
    Attached Images
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    you got a very good deal i think.
    the sigmas have been criticized by some, often in regards to the trigger pull i think. it was SW's attempt to make a sort of glock type pistol, and maybe it suffers in comparison. i always liked them. all business.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

It seems pretty good. I'm going to strip it down tonight and clean it, oil it up and off to the range in the morning. I've seen good and bad reviews. This is the newer generation of the sigma, and I have seen good things about them. I've been wearing it in the holster around the apartment and with the cheap nylon it isn't bad and tucks away pretty well. My roommate didn't even notice till I showed her. I'm a revolver guy and my other hand gun is a S&W model 10, so that should help with the trigger pull.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

I recently purchased a Sigma 40 VE and have shot nearly 400 flawless rounds through it. The improved models don't deserve the criticism they are very reliable guns. The trigger is stiff but supposely loosens up after about 500 rounds. Good buy!

You did well. I like and use my 40VE as my HD gun with a light on the front.

Shoot and carry in good health!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    You did well. I like and use my 40VE as my HD gun with a light on the front.
    what light do you have? i've been trying to find one, but noone seems to make any!

FYI, I posted a thread on this same subject a few weeks ago and made a final (probably) post just three days ago. Here's the link if you want to take a look at some of the replies and my range reports... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=35094

You did well and I've been very pleased with the gun I got last month. After about 250 rds there have been no failures of any kind and the trigger is not bad at all once you get use to it. As a heads up, it took about four weeks for the two spare mags to arrive from S&W (got them this past Monday), but I'm still waiting for the $50 rebate check. The rebate form said it would take 6-8 weeks so it's still pretty early.

One final thing. Laserlyte makes an adapter for the SIGMA rail. It allows you to use lasers/lights made for Picatinny rails by mounting to the existing rail on the SIGMA. I got one at Academy Sports for $10.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Hey,that looks like the same exact model my buddy just got as his first handgun! I'm looking forward to shooting his, see how it does. I've shot another buddys Sigma .40S&W before,...Not bad for the money,its just really not my style.

Congrats on the new peice :)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I think Sigma's are priced appropriately for what they are. I think you got some good stuff for good price.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

thanks for the christmas present, heres my address.

mr. happy gunowner
    123 glock st,
    safeville,usa.
    nice purchase.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    what light do you have? i've been trying to find one, but noone seems to make any!
    Here you go:

Take a look at my 45 dollar light. Nothing to write home about but sure works very well. :D

This is on my night stand! :)

The light $33
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LIGHT140-48038-2202.html

The Laserlyte rail adaptor $10
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP813-47676-1446.html

[/img]
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'm going to the range here in a bit to see how it does. I'll stop at wallmart first to grab some ammo. Depending on which forum I go to, the reviews are either good or bad. I'm happy with it or will be when I see the results at the range.

Ron Paul 2008!

Well for the Sigma detractors out there, I am impressed with this. Not my favorite and I may look at trading it in the next year or so as funds become available.

As a duty/carry gun it does its job. Pretty consistent for me, if I had more time to get to the range and work on the basics, I know this could shoot pretty well. at 7-15 feet I am pretty happy with it. It went threw a box and a magizine or two of american eagle with no issues, 100 WWB and some remington 147 grain GS (which are now loaded). I put a range membership on my christmas list. that should help get some more time in and save a bit of $$ for ammo.

As a carry gun in a cheap IWB holster, its not bad, tucks away easily. Today was my first offical day of CCW...yes, walmart was my first stop.

I do want to look at some of the higher end/ more traditional gun for EDC at some point. Hopefully with the deal I got on this, I can do a nice trade plus cash for something else. I'm just not a striker fire fan and prefer DA/SA.

I would recomend this as a first time CCW piece to get started. Especially on a budget.

Ron Paul 2008!

Pics of the range session with my new Sigma:

I'm a bit rusty

Ron Paul 2008!

Since we're all posting pictures, here's my SIGMA with a Lasermax laser attached using the Laserlyte adapter.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links