Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I'm suprised that the BHP is not more popular. I want one really bad. It will most likely be my next ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm suprised that the BHP is not more popular.
    I want one really bad. It will most likely be my next handgun. I almost traded my XD9 Service for one.

I will get one someday.

2. Remove Ads

Havn't carried a high power but I have carried a cz75 which is very similar in size and weight. Not too bad until late in the day when it gets very heavy.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I've been really torn between getting a tricked out Hi Power from Novak or some other custom maker, maybe just a Browning Practical, or getting a Sig 229 Elite.

I like the Hi Power for it's consistent SAO trigger, and slim profile, but love the Sig for its ultra reliability. The Hi Power feels better in my hand even in stock grips, I can only imagine what some derlin Spegel grips would do for me.

I guess I'll just have to see what Sig comes out with at SHOT show this year.

If the 1911 is the king of defensive handguns, then surely the Browning P35 is queen.

My sons, bless 'em, gave me a HP Practical four years ago. It's a pleasure to shoot, but a bit too big to carry.

HPs are nice pistols. A bit too large to hide in the summer and the hole in the business end is a little too small to suit me. I have a couple of older ones that get a workout from time to time--good shooters.

I dusted off my Hi-Power yesterday and went to a IPSC/USPSA action pistol match at the local gun club range in the town where we're moving. I was a slug on speed but the Hi-Power was pleasingly accurate. I didn't hit any hostages and took out all the poppers and swinging discs OK at distance. I've always been a fan of competition where deliberate accuracy reigns supreme. It's wierd to shoot more accurately than some and still come out near the bottom of the heap. The speed shooting was a new facet to me. Though I was slower than the regulars I had a lot of fun. It beats shooting prickly pears.

I like the HI-Power a smidgeon better than I do the wonderful 1911 but don't much care for 9mm. The Hi-Power is a perfect fit for my hand and is capable of having a great trigger.

kpw
    Thanks for the pics. Seems like I look at Horsehoe Leather's site a couple times a year and he isn't taking orders to catch up on his backlog. No new orders until March! He does make some nice stuff and I hear he is a great guy.

Hey JD, check out some of the Hi Powers at Louderthanwords • Index page They'll make you drool! I'm already thinking about sending it off to Action Works.

I'm trying out carrying a BHP relegating the snubby to a BUG or deep concealment situations. I like the Hi-Power, it's just bulkier than I've been used to with the S&W 642.

BHP (Medium).jpg nam0001 (Medium).JPG

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Seems like I look at Horsehoe Leather's site a couple times a year and he isn't taking orders to catch up on his backlog. No new orders until March! He does make some nice stuff and I hear he is a great guy.

Hey JD, check out some of the Hi Powers at Louderthanwords • Index page They'll make you drool! I'm already thinking about sending it off to Action Works.

Thanks, that's just what I didn't need to see before tax time!

I had to stop looking after I saw the YOBOs, I think the drool missed my keyboard, too bad they split up.

I carry a revolver most every day, but when I do carry a semi-auto it's this BHP.

Watch out for Mr. Camp's website, it can lead to premature wallet drain!

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

I love my 9mm Hi-Power (1966). It has never, ever had a problem. Santa brought me a Tucker leather HF-1 in black cherry and cross cut design with Texas concho. The Browning has never been happier.

I have a Practical Hi-Power and love the way it feels. I haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet, but hope to soon. If it passes the test, then I'd like to carry it. The only problem I have is the safety on the right side. It just doesn't have as positive a feel as my SA Champion does. With as often as I bounce off of doorways and such, I'd be afraid that it'll become disengaged. What I would really like to do it to get the ambi safety removed and go to a more traditional single sided safety (left side). I don't know if that's available for the pistol or not.

Gratuitous pic:

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    I have a Practical Hi-Power and love the way it feels. I haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet, but hope to soon. If it passes the test, then I'd like to carry it. The only problem I have is the safety on the right side. It just doesn't have as positive a feel as my SA Champion does. With as often as I bounce off of doorways and such, I'd be afraid that it'll become disengaged. What I would really like to do it to get the ambi safety removed and go to a more traditional single sided safety (left side). I don't know if that's available for the pistol or not.
    Nice pistol, I just bought one in .40. Yes, you can have a single side safety installed. I believe there is a few companies that have them. Check with Cylinder & Slide.
    Last edited by kpw; January 21st, 2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: got rid of the pic in quote

VIP Member
    My first gun (and carry gun) was a BHP Mark II. I'd carry it again if I could.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links