Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED) - Page 5

Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried mine in the past but not lately.Bought mine brand new in 82 at the Rod&Gun club in Berlin Germany. Still enjoy shooting ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I have carried mine in the past but not lately.Bought mine brand new in 82 at the Rod&Gun club in Berlin Germany. Still enjoy shooting it when I go to the range.There is still not much that feels or points better in my hand than the BHP.
    Ron

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by Para82 View Post
    I have carried mine in the past but not lately.Bought mine brand new in 82 at the Rod&Gun club in Berlin Germany. Still enjoy shooting it when I go to the range.There is still not much that feels or points better in my hand than the BHP.
    Ron
    Para82,

Just wondering, but why don't you carry it now? Have you found something better?

thanks,
    whw

Carried one as a duty weapon.
    Never doubted either the sidearm nor my ability to use it effectively.
    Carry a 1911 now as I want to deliver more payload on target every time she goes bang.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

pete156

I to am a lefty you might want to look into the sfs system, have one on my BHP and love it.

Any body seriously considering a serious fighting HP should look at Wayne Novak. Plus he is a WV Boy. Anyone looking for a high end custom piece but not the wait and willing to unload some serious cash, should look at Alaska Guns website. They have some stuff from some of the top custom guys IN STOCK. Just my .02. I would not hesitate to carry a BHP as a EDC.

Wild West Guns: The finest in Custom Rifles from Alaska to the World!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added link.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The Hi-Power is the best looking automatic pistol ever built. Just my opinion.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The Hi-Power is the best looking automatic pistol ever built. Just my opinion.
    I agree!
    Novak's a nice... little pricey... but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ordy1 View Post
    pete156

I to am a lefty you might want to look into the sfs system, have one on my BHP and love it.
    I may have stated it wrong before, but I'm a righty. I would like to find someone to install a single sided safety for the left side. I am so prone to bumping into doorways and walls that I'm afraid of disengaging the safety on the right side. The BHP safety just doesn't have as positive of an engagement as my 1911. With the 1911 I have no fear at all of it being bumped off (of course it's not an ambi either). I get a nice loud CLICK when I engage it. The BHP safety is just a bit too soft for my tastes.

whw,
    Haven't really found anything that I would say is better just different.Back when I carried the BHP a lot I only owned 2 pistols.The High Power and a Browning BDA 380.Now i can choose between a Springfield Compact45acp,Ruger SP101 357mag,S&W 637,NAA Guardian 380,Kel-Tec P3AT or Tomcat3032 Beretta and a XD-45 Service so I can tailor my carry to the situation a lot better now. Glad this thread came up because I think I will give the old Browning some carry time again. Hope this helps
    Ron

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a 40 BHP but I never carry it. Too big/heavy.

Oh how I love Hi Powers! I have carried one back in the 1980's both on duty (plainclothes) and off duty. Besides the 1911 it is far and away my favorite pistol. There is not a gun on the planet that feels better in your hand.
    You can use most 1911 holsters with the Hi Power. I prefer a Milt Sparks 55BN.

The 55BN is on the right with the Sparks Heritage on the left

Hi Gunner777;

Great photo and I like the looks of that Sparks Heritage holster. It appears that it'd go well beneath a jacket.

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by Para82 View Post
    whw,
    Haven't really found anything that I would say is better just different.Back when I carried the BHP a lot I only owned 2 pistols.The High Power and a Browning BDA 380.Now i can choose between a Springfield Compact45acp,Ruger SP101 357mag,S&W 637,NAA Guardian 380,Kel-Tec P3AT or Tomcat3032 Beretta and a XD-45 Service so I can tailor my carry to the situation a lot better now. Glad this thread came up because I think I will give the old Browning some carry time again. Hope this helps
    Ron
    Para82,

Thanks for the feedback. After many false starts, I've narrowed my search for a carry gun down to the hi-power and 1911.

Is there one holster you like better than the rest?

thanks,
    whw

whw,
    Hope I helped some. I like to carry OWB mostly. I carry my Springfield 1911 in a Galco Yaqui slide or Blackhawk Serpa. I also have a Serpa for the XD-45. I have a Bianchi Minimalist slide for the BHP. I know alot of people seem to not like the slides but I like them and they work for me .So to each his own.The search for the perfect holster continues. Hope this helps
    Ron

Yes, I carry a Hi-Power. I also carry an XD9sc and rarely a P32. I have held and shot different BHP pistols over the years. During 2007 any time I went to the club range I would shoot a few clips through a friends Browning Hi-Power Practical. The comfort of the grip and the pistols natural point grew and grew on me until I was hooked. I think as I grew up the Colt 1911 shape must have been engraved in my brain, in many ways the BHP looks like a 1911. So when I came across a Charles Daly Hi-Power clone for $270 dollars, I thought take a chance for such a low price. The pistol came with a commander round hammer and a thin pair of rubber grips that fit my hands better than the palm swell standard grips, that normally come on a BHP. The only draw back was a single side safety. I am a lefty. So I spent $75 dollars for a C&S ambidextrous safety. I have sent 800 rounds of various brands and types of 9-mm ammunition through the pistol. I shoots everything, with the exception of some reloaded rounds. It has a very crisp single action trigger. I am starting to like the XS Big Dot sights. I now wear trifocals so bigger is easier and faster to see. I carry the pistol in a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster and even though the pistol is heavy and big I can carry it all day.

-------

Pete156,

I met to add Cylinder & Slide has a single side safety for $50 dollars. The C&S safety has a very solid click when it is engaged. It is powered by a spring and ball to click into the dent. If you are like me fitting a new part is a little scary, so you may need a gunsmith. I paid $25 dollars to have mine installed. Good luck, you will love the Hi-Power! from one Tulsan to another,

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links