Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry mine but not as much as my 1911's....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

VIP Member

Hi Power

I carry mine but not as much as my 1911's.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

Got this Feb 10th. Now I just need a fixed sight version.

Last edited by NEtracker; February 23rd, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: detail
    NRA,GOAL,CMP,GCA,USCCA
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, iTP, AMK
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Wayne Novak HPs are works of art. I wish I had one to show you. A friend of mine has one that is all tricked out. It is beautiful. The Novak shop is just 10 minutes from my house. He also does great work on 1911s too!

A few years ago I decided to create my own "Ultimate Hi-Power". I started with a richly-blued Browning Mk. III in .40 S&W. Since then, I've had KKM Precision build a .357 Sig conversion barrel. I've installed C&S; matched, forged hammer & sear, target trigger, reduced-effort transfer bar, then found an old Pachmyer extended slide-release and installed Navidrex (checkered micarta) thin line grip panels. It's a favorite among several SD pistols.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Should be adding 2 HP's to the stable shortly. A practical in 9mm and a 82 vintage w/adj. sights (had one and sold it to buy a Harley). Don't plan on letting either go. Will post pics when delivered. Gotta say they are the prettiest semi's built and I'm a 1911 guy.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

FN Hipower

I have good reason to be partial to the HiPower, but despite my bias I have yet to run across the most accomplished gun officianado that will argue the fact that it is one of the most accurate and well made pistols one can purchase. Saying it's the best is certainly debatable, but it is without a doubt, one of the best.

I have several HiPowers, and my favorite is an FN Herstal with the SFS system(Safe fast shooting). It is by far my favorite pistol.

As far as safety is concerned, I don't know of a weapon with the capability to provide the same level of safety as well as the rapid conversion to deadly force like this gun provides. Just my 2 cents.

FNHiPower

HiPower

I don't carry a HiPower, but I have several. It is a very reliable gun. IMHO, something especially important when it comes to safety. I've seen some gung-ho-ish flames regarding ones with SFS, but unless expecting to carry it combat - or drawing your weapon on a regular basis - it's probably worth your while to look into its merits before you hurt yourself or someone else.

The point 'm trying to make is that if you're carrying a 40cal primarily for personal protection you're probably at more risk than anyone around you 99.9% of the time.

SFS or not, 9mm or 40cal are bulky. Not exactly the type of weapon you'll want to run around jammed down the back of your pants all day. If that's your game, try a cheap 38cal and pray you don't run a cross anyone on this forum.

-FNHiPower

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPowerSFS View Post
    I don't carry a HiPower, but I have several. It is a very reliable gun. IMHO, something especially important when it comes to safety. I've seen some gung-ho-ish flames regarding ones with SFS, but unless expecting to carry it combat - or drawing your weapon on a regular basis - it's probably worth your while to look into its merits before you hurt yourself or someone else.

The point 'm trying to make is that if you're carrying a 40cal primarily for personal protection you're probably at more risk than anyone around you 99.9% of the time.

SFS or not, 9mm or 40cal are bulky. Not exactly the type of weapon you'll want to run around jammed down the back of your pants all day. If that's your game, try a cheap 38cal and pray you don't run a cross anyone on this forum.

-FNHiPower
    Huh? It must be too early cause I don't get what your saying.

"...The point 'm trying to make is that if you're carrying a 40cal primarily for personal protection you're probably at more risk than anyone around you 99.9% of the time..."

Why would this be so?

What the...!?!

I've been around here for a while...and drink adult beverages regularly. But I have no idea what this means!(?)

Are you suggesting that there is no place for full-size autoloading pistols as carry weapons? (The 1911 crowd is about to burn you at the stake ) Why would I want to jam any handgun down the back of my pants? Especially a cheap .38?

It's official gentlemen, I'm totally lost.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I've been around here for a while...and drink adult beverages regularly. But I have no idea what this means!(?)

Are you suggesting that there is no place for full-size autoloading pistols as carry weapons? (The 1911 crowd is about to burn you at the stake ) Why would I want to jam any handgun down the back of my pants? Especially a cheap .38?

It's official gentlemen, I'm totally lost.
    Wow I am totally lost also. I have carried full size auto for over 25 years concealed; 10 were as a LEO with a 40 cal. and the last 5 as a civilian. The more I read the less I know of this thread.............
    Last edited by Reborn; February 26th, 2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding the caliber I carry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I recently went looking for an IWB holster for my BHP's and found two at, of all places, Wilson Combat, in their closeout section. I wore one, acouple of weekends ago, to the San Antonio Livestock Show & Rodeo. I walked over 3 miles and rode several rides in the carnival and almost forgot it was there. We left about 6:00am, drove 2 hours, had breakfast with the son in college there, went to the SALS&R left about 9:00pm and drove another 2 hours home. It really got a good break in and it is one great holster. I really like the design and it holds the gun very securely.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    I recently went looking for an IWB holster for my BHP's and found two at, of all places, Wilson Combat, in their closeout section. I wore one, acouple of weekends ago, to the San Antonio Livestock Show & Rodeo. I walked over 3 miles and rode several rides in the carnival and almost forgot it was there. We left about 6:00am, drove 2 hours, had breakfast with the son in college there, went to the SALS&R left about 9:00pm and drove another 2 hours home. It really got a good break in and it is one great holster. I really like the design and it holds the gun very securely.

That's a good lookin' rig.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I ran across a NIB FN Hi Power yesterday at my local pawn & gun. It's a .40 S&W made in 2003. I cleaned and function fired it last night and really believe I'll like it.
    I may do some safe cleaning and find a nice 9mm to go with it.
    Dave

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I ran across a NIB FN Hi Power yesterday at my local pawn & gun. It's a .40 S&W made in 2003. I cleaned and function fired it last night and really believe I'll like it.
    I may do some safe cleaning and find a nice 9mm to go with it.
    Dave
    I'm having the same thoughts. My .40 needs a 9mm partner.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links