Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I did a search and found quite a few topics on stopping power and hi capacity, even searched the "What do you Carry" sticky ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    JD [OP]
    Administrator

Question Does Any One Carry a Browning Hi Power ? (MERGED)

So I did a search and found quite a few topics on stopping power and hi capacity, even searched the "What do you Carry" sticky and didn't find much info on the Hi Power, I think only one member posted in there and not much after that.

Does anyone carry this anymore? I've been thinking about picking one up for a while now, not so much for EDC but every now and then, it'll probably be more of a range gun, but K&D does make holsters for the Hi Power...

So lets hear what our members have to say for JMB's other pistol.

Assistant Administrator
    John - my BHP Practical was a carry for a few months and I was lucky to have a Horseshoe Leather rig I had aquired that, tho for a 1911 was so new the BHP went in just dandy.

Was very happy carrying that - it's a platform I knew from way back. However, in the end I drifted to where I am now with DA/SA per my SIGs. Must confess I was tho less comfortable con 1 with the BHP, compared with a 1911.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I have one, and its a great shooter and would make an excellent carry gun. I dont carry mine, and I dont know why. I just dont.
    I know some IDPA guys still love the other JMB.

EDIT: I just went and looked at mine, and now I know why I dont carry it... it has adjustable sights.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I do carry mine (9mm) every once and a while. I cannot really explain why, but few handguns have ever felt better in my hand than a Hi-Power. Mr. Browning and Mr. Saive certainly knew their way around handguns.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I seldom carry ours anymore , but then i seldom carry any full size full weight pistol any more . I have reached the point of " stoveuppedness " that at the end of the day i can honestly tell every oz on my belt .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Recommended website on High Powers

I have never owned a Browning High Power but have handled a few of them. If you want to research them, a good website is Stephen Camp's "High Powers and Handguns":

Stephen Camp website

Camp is very knowledgeable and a big fan of the Browning High Power.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Ihave had my BHP in 9MM since I bought it in 82 in Germany.Have carried it in the past and shot it quite a bit .Used it for a while to shoot bowling pin matches way back when. May have to get it out and give it some carry time.
    Ron

Administrator
    Bowling pin matches... a perfect use for the HP.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I love my HP but can't carry it as it is not authorized...but I have a theory on why more people don't carry it...I think HP lovers are in the same boat as 1911 lovers...and condition 1 is not scary to most 1911 owners...butt I think the grip safety and the more positive "click" of the 1911 thumb safety makes one feel more confident in condition 1..I could be wrong, but it is my theory....:)

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I "cut my teeth" on a hi-power, and to this day, they hold a special place in my heart. That being said, I notice that all of my friends who still have Brownings cherish them, but rarely shoot them, and even more rarely carry them. I think you have to appreciate them, but when it comes down to it, there are better carry options these days (strictly speaking of out of the box variants).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Great gun!

I carry mine all the time and have no issues with it at all. Fits my hand great. Shoots great. Very reliable. I love mine.

I really considered one in .40 a little while back, but the 10rd capacity turned me off. Feel like I should get 12 in that platform. Then again, maybe I didn't look for mags hard enough. It sure did shoot sweet though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    I "cut my teeth" on a hi-power, and to this day, they hold a special place in my heart.
    Did that, myself. Nice pistols.

... there are better carry options these days.
    Glock has changed everything. The push to polymers and new designs has seriously improved the list of alternatives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1943 - 2009
    This is my wife's BHP, made in 1992. The only thing I've done to it is remove the magazine disconnect. It's been 100% reliable. Only one quirk, and that's the one factory magazine that it came with. It's marked as a 10 rounder, but it will only hold 9 rounds. But we use 13 round Mec-Gar mags anyway, so no problem.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Charles Daly Hi-Power

I have tested and now carry a Charles Daly Hi-Power clone. Early this year I shot a Browning Hi-Power Practical. Through the first half of this year I shot the pistol once a month at an out door range, usually one or two magazines and then switched back to my XDs. The pistol grew and grew on me. It pointed well, had a soft recoil and the weight seemed to rest in my hand. In October I came across a Charles Daly Hi-Power at a local dealer. The cost was $329 and that included tax. For Browning or FN owners this is not the real deal. I found it to be a very reliable accurate pistol. I took a chance on this less expensive pistol. After adding an ambidextrous safety, buying 3 spare MEC-GAR magazines and a Crossbreed holster, I have right under $600 in the pistol. If you can find one and shoot the gun some more, they grow on you!

-- Richard
    Last edited by RKirk; December 8th, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links