XS sights - Page 2

XS sights

This is a discussion on XS sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a thread I started HERE I recently received my XS Big Dots in the mail, Lima was able to mount the rear on Thursday. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XS sights

JD
    Administrator
    From a thread I started HERE

I recently received my XS Big Dots in the mail, Lima was able to mount the rear on Thursday. I got the front sight mounted today and went to the range.

This is my second target with the dots, the manufacturer states that you pretty much just "Dot the I" but it's not quite that easy, there is a little fine tuning of sight alignment that needs to be done, so the first target was a test run, once I figured out how they need to line up the results were favorable.

I only shot at distances of 7-10 yards for part 1, unfortunately by the end of the first 70 rounds the rear sight was coming loose, I don't think Lima used the thread lock compound that came with the sights, but that will soon be taken care of.

As you can see from the picture above, they work pretty well.

They align very quickly on the follow up shots.

Once I get the threads Loctited down I'll go out to further distances and see how they fare.

The only problem I have is that the Big Dot is taller than the factory sight and my OWB belt holster's sight channel is too shallow, but I think I can manage to make it deeper.
    Lima has the standard XS Dot sights on her CDP Ultra, you can see her thread HERE.

I just had them installed on my Kahr MK40 last month and I love the sights. When they are dialed in, they are very accurate and make it easy to aquire the target.

I have Big Dot Night Sights on a Kimber 1911, an HK P2000, and an extra set for a Springfield XD that I will mount in the future.

The sights are are very intuitive, fast, and accurate.

Ideal for concealed carry.

BTW when I ordered my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe I mentioned I had the Big Dot and they made the sight channel a tad bigger to avoid any complications. Works like a charm.

VIP Member
    No problems with my CTAC, UBG Bonneville or Canute, or the Wild Bill's mistake I made. The sight hasn't hung on the holster, no matter how many times I've tried to make it happen.

I don't understand the issue about accurate shots. You simply use the top center of the dot as you would the top center of a traditional blade. I've noticed very little difference, if any, in my shooting ability other than being faster.

I have decided to install them on my Sig 226 that I will use in IDPA next Spring.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I for one prefer the standard dots over the big dots. I have them on my XD and they work great.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I for one prefer the standard dots over the big dots. I have them on my XD and they work great.
    I will second those two notions...I have them on my P226 and they're great. Very fast and plenty accurate.

I have them on two of my Kahrs and love them. Acquisition is fast in low light or full light.

I've had a set on my G19 for about a year and have been very impressed with them.
    Some people say that "they aren't as precise as traditional sights." I disagree, they are still capable of better accuracy than most shooters (including myself) are. Furthermore, they are designed for FIGHTING, not for bullseye competition. In low-light situations or when shooting on the move, or when shooting fast, it's nice to be able to have that billboard-sized dot to look for.

Also, do yourself a favor...get the big dot, not the standard. The standard dot only exists so they can have something to sell to people that get hung up on the so-called "reduced accuracy" of the big-dot.

For those that haven't seen them, here's a couple of vids. that show these in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVCeJ103BQ
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I've got the standards on my xd40sc. Love em. They seem sufficient to me, but I've never used the Big Dots.

Also, do yourself a favor...get the big dot, not the standard. The standard dot only exists so they can have something to sell to people that get hung up on the so-called "reduced accuracy" of the big-dot.
    I disagree with the recommendation to forgo the standard dot and get the big dot. I have used both extensively. The standard dot is plenty big enough and the big dot in my opinion does not offer any significant gain in speed.

My recommendation is go with what you think will fit your needs better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    I disagree with the recommendation to forgo the standard dot and get the big dot. I have used both extensively. The standard dot is plenty big enough and the big dot in my opinion does not offer any significant gain in speed.

My recommendation is go with what you think will fit your needs better.
    but what significant advantage does the standard dot have over the big dot?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    KenpoTex,

I have owned and used both versions, and in my experience the standard dot was much easier to hit with. I agree that both are plenty accurate, but my accuracy with the standard dot was better.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    KenpoTex,

I have owned and used both versions, and in my experience the standard dot was much easier to hit with. I agree that both are plenty accurate, but my accuracy with the standard dot was better.
    fair enough, to each his own.

btw: nice holsters, they look really good

Matt K.

but what significant advantage does the standard dot have over the big dot?
    I would ask you the same for the big dot over the standard.

My experience is that the big dot does not give any speed advantage while the standard dot in fact DOES add a slight edge in the accuracy for medium to long range shot placement. I am basing this on my own personal experience with both dots as used in a side-by-side comparison test of my own as they were installed on two identical Glock 17 pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    I would ask you the same for the big dot over the standard.

My experience is that the big dot does not give any speed advantage while the standard dot in fact DOES add a slight edge in the accuracy for medium to long range shot placement. I am basing this on my own personal experience with both dots as used in a side-by-side comparison test of my own as they were installed on two identical Glock 17 pistols.
    Speed isn't the only consideration (although it is a nice bonus). For me, the advantage of the big-dot over the standard comes when you are shooting on the move or transitioning to another target. I find it much easier to pick out that larger dot.

regardless, IMO they're both better than traditional notch-and-post sights for a fighting handgun.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links