XS sights

This is a discussion on XS sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to order some XS for my G30 Whats the difference between these two? XS 24/7 Express +1 Big Dot Night Fits 20,21,29,30,37 and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XS sights

I'm looking to order some XS for my G30

Whats the difference between these two?

XS 24/7 Express +1 Big Dot Night Fits 20,21,29,30,37

and

XS 24/7 Express Big Dot Night Sight Set +0 6.5 - Standard M/17-19, 22-28, 33-35, 37-39

These are on Lone Wolfs sight. I'm just trying to figure which to order. They both have the same description.
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Products

If there are other sites you guys recommend I'd like to hear

Thanks
    Dwyane

2. Remove Ads

Daps,

For all technical questions toward this product including which of their multiple choices to apply to a given firearm reach out to their lead technical developer Bo Wallace which is exactly what I did before investing in this not inexpensive sight system; bwallace_AT_xssights.com

As he did with me and my highly detailed and specific questions including a similar case of which model do I buy he'll likely respond within a few days (48 hrs. in my case). I was referred to him by others like you and I who had tech specific questions that were not easily discernible or even covered at their website.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks Janq...

I had the ole card out and ready to pull the trigger but then saw the two different choices and have no clue which one to get or what the difference is

I emailed Bo and he's already replied. :)
    Also emailed lone Wolf and got a reply
    Man they're both quick and I know which to order now...
    Whipping out the credit card *swoosh*

Rob,

For my specific set of sights and my own eyes which are corrected by glasses/contacts I get no such shadow effect at the front sight.
    Further the Tritium vial in my front sight is very bright and visible under all but bright ambient light or average room lighting (60W bulb) when facing directly toward said light source facing into the bulb which had it's shade purposely removed as part of the testing I was doing.
    In fact in the latter test I found that the front blade of a Novak sight (comparator from my Sig GSR) completely disappeared under such conditions while the tall and angled front blade of my SA with target sights remained visible as a black outline against an otherwise bright background. Meanwhile the XS 24/7 sight I have is immediately noticeable and very easy to locate and place on target which increases speed to shoot. The reason why is because the front blades distinctly round visual reference stands out against the bright backlighting of the bulb even as the Tritium is not visible and there is no light to cause the whit outline (ball) to reflect light back to my eye. This is a functionally superior result.

The way I'm seeing things again with my own specific XS 24/7 Bog Dot front sight and corrected to 20/20 eyes (just under 1yr. old prescription) is the white during daylight and room light against a same brightness or less to dusk type background lighting stands out to me like 'Hey look at me I'm right here..SHOOT!' type of sore thumb. It and the very shallow V sloped rear sight together to make quick location of the front sight super easy. Under ambient lighting dark enough that the Tritium is visible the white outline is still to me visible not that it matters so much at that point. The reason being the Tritium green becomes the focal point and in conjunction with the rear sights single and vertical oriented secondary Tritium vial lining up the sights on to a target becomes super simple and thus quick, unlike comparatively complex and high brain power overhead required three dot sights. After having experienced this sight whether I stick with XS or try some other products as well (Warren tactical) I will never go back to conventional/Novak type sights nor will I roll with three dot again. They are just too limiting and due to the increased brain power overhead are thus slow. I never realized this until two weeks ago when I had opportunity to handle for an extended time frame a carry gun which had a Warren tactical plain rear and oversized red fiber optic front. Then 2 days ago when my Colt arrives witht he XS installed, the difference between new and old sights as well as my Novaks is literally light and day. Like the difference between manual reciprocating ball steering (old school) and hydraulic rack & pinion power steering (modern). Either gets the job done and works, but why work harder and be slower for no good clear reason? Life and living are the stakes, outside of IDPA/range paper punching.

For those who for need or prefer the white outline to be more luminous than it is under ambient lighting that is pretty easy to resolve with a fine artists brush and a small amount of clear nail polish or even water reduced light coat of varnish applied to the whole of the front sights business/viewed end. Even better might be a nail polish that is clear metallic or for those without the Tritium insert they could use a dab of pearl metallic automotive touch-up paint for maximal effect toward reflectivity.

My own write up toward dry fire associated testing will be posted later today/tonight.
    I ran out of time yesterday in between work and then having to head out to an evening social event to which I did not return until late and was tired.

In the mean time folks and those like myself who were thinking this is too much to be true (it isn't) they can reference the following review from another that mirrors very much my own findings thus far again myself just with dry fire and target acquisition testing. I came across the following user report yesterday after re-reading this whole thread and noting it's reference at IIRC the bottom of page 2 by another.
    I've not yet had opportunity to get to the range and will likely do so this weekend, but this persons commentary is representative of what many others all over are reporting with these current edition XS Big Dot sights. Note this user does not have the 24/7 Tritium insert version and thus has even more white surface area to find and focus on.

'G19, M&P, Big Dots, minus connector- a comparative exercise'
    Groupee Login

Again my own specific findings and results differ from yours but then my specific sights might be different and my eyesight/visual acuity different as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

jim
    I'm thinking of the XS sights for my MP9c. Looking forward to your review, Janq, and thanks to the other posters for their input.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Rob,

For my specific set of sights and my own eyes which are corrected by glasses/contacts I get no such shadow effect at the front sight.
    - Janq
    Sorry I wasn't clear, Janq. I currently have a "new" set of 24/7 and Standard sights on each of my 2 G19s- the problem is only on the Standard Dot; the 24/7 has a more flush, less convex, surface.

Ahhh!!!
    Now I 'see'. ;p

- Janq

Guys I do have a question is this something I can install myself. I dont have a sight tool or anything or should I just go to the gun shop and let them put them on.

I guess the thing would be getting them on straight & making sure the rear site isnt pushed over too far.

Janq,
    From your post it looks like you are a non-horizontal type sights person. The 3 dots are slower for me and confuse the brain as I focus on one of the rears sights. You had some experience with the U-notch but I am a bit confused.

Did you like it compared to the big dot?

Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    Guys I do have a question is this something I can install myself. I dont have a sight tool or anything or should I just go to the gun shop and let them put them on.

I guess the thing would be getting them on straight & making sure the rear site isnt pushed over too far.
    You can do them yourself...it's a piece of cake. Just center the rear in the dovetail and make sure the front is straight (and make sure the tritium vials face the right way...)

here's a video tutorial that shows an XS sight install.
    YouTube - XS Sight Install
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I dont have vise though. I saw the video earlier but cant really see him doing it up close...
    The glock factory sites just take some pliers and pull them out correct? knock out the rear...

Guess I could follow the direction and if worse comes to shove take it to the gun shop and installed :) I was just hoping I didnt push the read over too far or not have the front dot straight

still think imma get ballsy and try its thursday nite, tomorrow is friday and i pick up my G30 :) down side is it's suppose to snow here tomorrow...big dots shipped out today so i should have them sometime next week :D

correct, pliers to yank off the front, and the punch (included with the sights) to drift out the rear (and drift the new one in if necessary).

Seriously, you can do it. I don't have a vice either and I've installed several sets. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

The rear sight should be centered but it doesn't have to be precise down to the thousandth of an inch or anything like that. The front sight is pretty easy since it's long (you'll see what I mean when you get it)...just line it up parallel to the slide.

Don't be afraid to be generous with the sure-lok and DON'T overtighten the screw on the front sight...just a little past snug is plenty.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Gotch...will put them on next week when i get them...how long do i need to let the locktite dry before shooting

how do you drift them out without a vise though?

Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    Gotch...will put them on next week when i get them...how long do i need to let the locktite dry before shooting

how do you drift them out without a vise though?
    IIRC, it says it takes 24 hours to "fully cure" (don't quote me though) but I've shot within an hour of installing them w/o a problem.

As far as drifting the rear out...I just set it on the edge of a table (or on my leg if I don't have a table nearby) and hold it down with my forearm. If you have someone to help, they could hold it down for you.

Matt K.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links