Please help me choose pocket gun

This is a discussion on Please help me choose pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading thread after thread after thread regarding pocket revolvers. I see that the S&W 642 and 442 are very popular. So, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me choose pocket gun

Please help me choose pocket gun

I have been reading thread after thread after thread regarding pocket revolvers. I see that the S&W 642 and 442 are very popular. So, I went to my local gun guy looking for one of them. No luck. gun guy had a few S&Ws in stock, but no 642 or 442. What he did have was a 638. I looked at a few different models of the 638 and really like the 638 bodyguard in stainless. He also showed me a pocket Taurus revolver. The taurus wasn't +p rated and in a 38 I wasnt the +p. Anyway, like I said I have read thread after thread, and see a lot of 442 and 642 users out there. I don't see many 638s mentioned. The one I was looking at is the Bodyguard version, meaning it has the hammer flush with the hump and is cockable, I also looked at the version with the full size hammer, and the version with the fully shrouded hammer. I like the bodyguard version because although the hammer is flush and mostly covered, it is still able to be "cocked". Anyway, anyone have any opinions on the 638? Anyone use a 638 bodyguard? Anyone use a small Taurus revo, not +p?

2. Remove Ads

I thought about the bodyguard for awhile prior to getting my 442. I went with simpler.

Model 638 is fine

The model 638 airweight J frame revolver is shown on the S&W website, and weighs 15 ounces with an aluminum frame. It has the one advantage that you noted over the model 642 - the ability to be thumb cocked for single action shooting. Yet it is also snag free because of the semi enclosed hammer design, so it is suitable for pocket carry. Some people who have the 638 prefer it to the 642 because of this cocking feature.

I'd go for it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    638's are just as good as the 642's, and it does give you a little more options.
    For the price difference in those particular models, I wouldnt even consider a Taurus. Go with the better gun in the first place, you will be happier in the long run.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd go with the 642, as I see no need for SA on a up close and personal self defense gun. Plus the 642 is smaller because of the "hump" on the 638.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    638's are just as good as the 642's, and it does give you a little more options.
    For the price difference in those particular models, I wouldnt even consider a Taurus. Go with the better gun in the first place, you will be happier in the long run.
    I'd agree with this however some forum posters have announced that they will not buy any S&W with the internal locking system.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'd agree with this however some forum posters have announced that they will not buy any S&W with the internal locking system.

I have read about poeple unhappy with the internal lock. However, I haven't read too many stories about the locking system actually failing, most posts are just people worried about it, not people actually having a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I have read about poeple unhappy with the internal lock. However, I haven't read too many stories about the locking system actually failing, most posts are just people worried about it, not people actually having a problem with it.
    I think so too. I own a 686 with the internal lock and have had no problem with it. Frankly I'm more concerned with my autoloaders failing me.

What about a Seecamp .32. I like the heck out of mine. I put about 50 rounds through it yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I think the .32 winchester silvertips would be adequate for a pocket carry.

I've had a 638 for little more than a year now and like it very much. I bought it for the very reason you have noted, that it can be used either SA or DA. I also put a set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it (model 405) and they are nice to have. Another advantage to having the SA feature is that the trigger pull for the SA shot is quite a bit lighter than the DA trigger pull. I think this has helped my accuracy when I've shot at the range. I like having the SA/DA option and choose this gun over the 637 and 642 when I purchased it for that reason. It also seems the rounded hump draws more easily from a pocket. If you can, try putting one in your pocket and draw it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    What about a Seecamp .32. I like the heck out of mine. I put about 50 rounds through it yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I think the .32 winchester silvertips would be adequate for a pocket carry.
    I like the seecamp, but it would be nice to have a revolver in the collection, which is why I am not real interested in a kel-tec either. From what I have seen the 638 looks to be a pretty reliable little revo. I did a ton of research on the 442 and 642, so when I went to the shop and they had none, I wanted to do more research before buying the 638. A 357 would be nice, but I would probably end up firing 38+ps out of it anyway. Anyway, I think after seeing some of the repsonses here I am going to go ahead and get the 638. Although I will most likely never use the sa on the bodyguard version, it's a nice feature to have. It's an ugly little hunchback gun, but the more I look the more I like the little guy.

Something big enough to shoot with confidence yet small enough for pocket carry = Kahr PM9 in a www.andrewsleather.com front pocket holster.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Kahr PM9 or if you can find one, a Seecamp .380.

I have a couple of the Smith Bodyguards that I've carried off and on for 40 years. Both are airweight models and therefore not recommended for +P. But the caveat against using +P is because extended use might stretch the frame. I practice with standard loads, but I have always loaded +P for carry. However, there is a good bit of recoil with +P.

Corbon offers some good "standard" loads for the snubbies that should prove quite adequate for their intended purpose.

Unless you're married to the wheel-gun concept, you might consider one of the light, small semiautos in 9mm of 40. They offer greater fire power. faster reloads, and more effective chamberings.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I like the S&W 638 and the Taurus 651. I know it's not likely you'll need the cocked feature, but for that matter, statistically it's not likely you'll need a concealed weapon either. Better to have it and not need it than vice versa. I say go for it.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links