Wife wants Springfield XD-.45 compact!

This is a discussion on Wife wants Springfield XD-.45 compact! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife can shoot full size .45 ACP pistols but likes the way the Springfield XD-.45 compact fits her hand! My question about this pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife wants Springfield XD-.45 compact!

Wife wants Springfield XD-.45 compact!

My wife can shoot full size .45 ACP pistols but likes the way the Springfield XD-.45 compact fits her hand! My question about this pistol is

(1) reliability
    (2) recoil
    (3) accuracy

My wife and I both practice point shooting and Spingfield Rep. stated that this gun was designed with this concept(point shooting).

Any shooters here that either own or shot this pistol and what opinions do you have about this gun which will be used on the range and for home defense! Many Thank-You's!

2. Remove Ads

wonderful guns. i love them. fun to shoot, reliable, fairly accurate, recoil not bad- same as any other .45 polymer gun

go for it. my better half loves our 45 service, shoots it well too.

(1) reliability
    (2) recoil
    (3) accuracy

All excellent. I have an XD45c and couldn't be happier with it, it's Versatile, you have the choice between a full size grip and compact grip for carry, etc. Only thing I am not real high on is the grip safety and I can take or leave the chambered round indicator, I never will go by that as my indication that I have a round chambered. The cocked indicator is a neat feature. For me I like the Glock better as I am partial to the less is more concept, meaning the less safety stuff the better for me. Although the "extra" safeties on the XD really do not sway me either way about the gun, it is what it is.

I was surprised to be honest as to how much I would end up liking the gun. It has (at least mine) a very smooth easy SA style trigger pull and is exactly the same everytime. I don't know about the "it was designed for point shooting" thing as I see no difference between it and anything else I am shooting, Glock or otherwise when point shooting them. It's point shooting, point and shoot! That SA rep is funny.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

B52
    Go for it my wife loves to shoot my Glock30 and SA Champion. The grip on the G30 is a little large for her hands, but she manages. The XD45c is an excellent firearm and you can steal it from her every now and then to feed your hunger.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Cat-O-Matic;553118]My wife can shoot full size .45 ACP pistols but likes the way the Springfield XD-.45 compact fits her hand! My question about this pistol is

(1) reliability
    (2) recoil
    (3) accuracy

Get one and enjoy. I have not had a single feeding or extraction problem with mine.
    As for recoil I can't tell a bit of difference shooting it and a Kimber 45 side by side. Also my 12 year old Grandson loves shooting it.
    The accuracy is great for a defensive pistol. It won't put all rounds into 1.5" circle at 25 yards but than again not many of us could do it if the pistol was able.

My wife and I both practice point shooting and Springfield Rep. stated that this gun was designed with this concept(point shooting).

As far as the point shooting is concerned I can't tell a bit of difference between my XD or my Glock.
    It is a good reliable pistol that will give lots of years of service.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have the XD45C as my current carry gun and think it is a great gun. Only beef that I have is that it is a little big for me to carry since I am 5'5" and thin. Will probably move up to a smaller gun for personal carry and let it be my home defense gun. My wife loves shooting it!

Administrator
    I can think of worse problems to have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I bought one a few weeks ago, the .45 Compact. I've put about 500 rounds across it and it's not had a single burp so far. I bought it to replace a Colt Defender that doesn't like hollowpoints. So far, the XD has no problem with hollowpoints or anything else. Recoil, to me, feels similar to a 5-inch 1911; totally manageable with quick recovery.

As for accuracy, it's much more accurate than I am.

Personally, I think she made a great choice.

If the wife wants it then she is going to get it...

You should know by now that she is always right...

I hear good things about them.

I bought a used XD45 Bi-tone 4" Service about 3 months ago. It didn't look like it'd been shot much, and I got a bunch of extra stuff and 4 mags for $475 out the door.
    I have about 600 rounds through it so far, and it's probably jammed 1/2 dozen times with FMJs, and will not feed JHPs at all. Also, it has developed a small amount of corrosion on the slide, which I am told is common for the Bi-tone XDs. Other than that, I really like the gun, and it's a joy to shoot.
    I'm getting a Glock 17 at tax time, and I will be sending my XD back to Springfield for repair (and a trigger job) afterward. Hopefully, that will be the end of my issues.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    If you have the time, go over to xdtalk.com and do a little bit of reading. Granted the folks there may be a little biased, but so are the folks on glocktalk.

Personally I have a .40 Service model, and couldn't be happier with it. Unlike packin above, I have close to 2K rounds through the gun without so much as a hiccup. FMJ, JHP, HydraShoks, etc; this gun will eat just about anything.

I do plan to get a .40SC to make the concealed part of CCW a little easier.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I have one and love it is very reliable and accurate and the recoil is not that much so enjoy
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    man, get it, make her happy lol,
    thats a good "problem" to have

before I went to the gun show this weekend, my wife told me she didn't have enough ammo! (been talking about increasing the stockpile the last few weeks, I guess I got her brainwashed LOL)

when my wife got her heart set on the G26, that was it...no questions asked, I just got it for her and she loves it

if your better half has tried one and likes it, then get that XD for her Christmas present!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My wife's favorite gun is my XD 45C. She is very accurate with it and can comfortably shoot it all day. If it feels good to her, get it.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links