Glock 23 OR 23C

Glock 23 OR 23C

This is a discussion on Glock 23 OR 23C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a glock 23 . I have read that the 40 has a snappy recoil in the lighter pistols . So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 OR 23C

Distinguished Member

Glock 23 OR 23C

I am thinking about getting a glock 23 . I have read that the 40 has a snappy recoil in the lighter pistols . So that got me to thinking the 23c
    would be a better choice . I am going to try and test fire one at the range if they have one to rent . Have any of you shoot these and what is your opinion ? It will be my carry pieace along with my j .

Administrator
    Dont bother with the "c" model. It wont make much difference, and the downfalls much out weigh the small benefits. If the G23's recoil is to much for you, there is nothing wrong with a G19.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 9th, 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like it, I mean I really like it.

Pros: Lighter recoil

Cons: Some talk about issues with close quarters shooting. If you shoot close to your side (right out of the holster) the gas' can burn you. Personally, I think this is only an issue if you don't practice alternates. Another con, after a few hundred rounds at the range the front sights can get blackened, but just a quick wipe and you are back to normal.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I own a G23c, have not fired a G23 but have had no problems of any kind with the 23c, the holes seem just as round with this one.

If you have to fire the gun close to your body in a point shoot type situation, there is a good chance of blowing hot gases and powder particles into your eyes.

I'd personally go with the 23 over the 23C or just go with a 19.

Steve

When you try the 23c, shoot it from retention a couple of times and then make your own choice.

Go deaf with compensated pistols! Yeah ... I don't think those holes make much sense.

VIP Member
    Yeah, you don't need the "C". The G-23 is a sweet shootin' pistola!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Compensated pistols are not intended for defensive shooting. Despite those that claim there are alternatives- it is dangerous. They are much louder- which can lead to hearing loss when you don't have hearing protection during a fight. Hot gasses expelled from the ports can cause real damage, particularly to the eyes. The flash from the ports can ruin night vision- and most shootings happen in the dark. Here is an example of a compensated Glock being fired.

Sixto hit the nail on the head. The Glock 23's recoil isn't bad. But, if it is more than you can handle or want to deal with, get a 19.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

It's still NFS..

(Not for sale)

I've with Sixto on this. The compensated gun is not intended for carry. If you don't like the recoil on the G23, which I find very manageable, then go with the G 19.

While I don't quite like the recoil of a Glock-27 due to some nerve damage in my arm, I have no problem shooting 500-600 hundred plus rounds at a time with my G-23. (shooting just 2 or 3 magazines of a G-27 will start to make my hand numb)

The down side to shooting guns for defense with the comp model is what you may be forced to do with the gun. Shooting from close retention sends hot gases and powder residue into your face and could cause permanant eye problems or blindness.

If you are physically struggling with an attacker for control of the weapon and it is really up close to your face when it discharges, the effects will be more profound than just shooting from a close retention position.

Plus it will ruin your night vision if shooting at night.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I''ve only had pistols with the 'ports' for relieving pressure...didn't like any of them...AND wait until you shoot one from retention......not nice!

But as with everything else, buy what YOU like!

In fact, if you get one, you may be able to advise the next guy posting a thread like this...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I have to agree with the others on the "c" model. There's no doubt it's a sweet shooting piece, but the first time you you fire it from a retention position you'll understand why the "c" models are not for EDC. From my experience, shooting a "c" model from retention feels like you've jumped off the high dive without a nose plug. It sucks to try to keep shooting with burned powder in your eyes, too. I would go with the normal 23, unless recoil is a concern. Then go with the 19 or an HK P2000. Just my opinion.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I have a 23C, and I really like it. I carry it with a uncompensated barrel in it, I like shooting both ways. It is fun when shooting a lot or if you just feel like not dealing with the recoil of the 23. It is a very accurate gun. I bought it from friend and it came with both barrels for $400, so I kind of fell into a pretty good deal. If you would like to have both, you can get the 23c and then a 23 barrel for about $100 on top of that. It is really what ever you want. I do not, though, recommend carrying the compensated barrel for self defense due to the previously mentioned reasons.
    Proudly serving.

NRA Life Member, NYSRPA, American Legion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links