Hi capacity guys/gals speak up

This is a discussion on Hi capacity guys/gals speak up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 12+1 of .40 S&W 155gr HST in my XD and another 12 on the belt....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi capacity guys/gals speak up

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    12+1 of .40 S&W 155gr HST in my XD and another 12 on the belt.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glock 27 10 rounds+2 G22 MAgs
    Glock 23 13 rounds + 2 G22 mags

I live in New York, therefore I usually can't carry anything "hi capacity".

When I carry my G19, I do use a 15rd pre-ban mag. I don't necessarily feel naked when I carry my other guns with 10rd mags.

Primary = Glock 23 (13 + 1) with two 13 round spares = 40 rounds

BUG = XD9sc (10 + 1) with either one or two 16 round spares = either 27 or 43 rounds

Total Rounds for carry package either 67 or 83 rounds. <----(what I carry when going to Kansas City, St. Louis, travelling on the road or going to any metro area or unfriendly/unfamiliar territory)

Around my small town of only 3,000 people and the surrounding area I may just wear one hi-capacity pistol with two reloads and no back-up gun or sometimes both guns sans reloads.

I do manage to be able to carry two hi-capacity pistols with two spare mags for each gun for upwards of 18 - 20 hours easily with discomfort or undue stress primarily due to good quality custom holsters and belts.

While I don't like to carry a gun in an ankle holster, I don't mind carrying some of my spare magazines down in an ankle carrier in case you wonder where I hide all the friggon bullets!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Glock 26 = two 10 round mags = 20 rounds. or a
    Glock 17 = two 17 round mags = 34 rounds

Plus a wife with:

Glock 26 = two 10 round mags = 20 rounds

Feel over-prepared at times

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    No, matter how many rounds in your magazine that fit into your firearm, it is just a standard capacity magazine. Period. Not a high capacity magazine, it is just standard magazine because that is what fits in your firearm without modification of the firearm.
    You're right of course, but I'm thinking we're mostly talking about high capacity relative to other guns' capacity. Thus a 15 rd Wondernine is "high capacity" compared to a 1911, which is in turn "high capacity" compared to a 5 shot snubby.

me
    I dont feel quiet right with less than 16 rounds. My Bug is 7 rounds of 380 and even with a spare mag it does not feel right.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

glock 23 13+1, 13 round xtra mag. glock 19 15 + 1, 15 round mag. Sometimes I have a kel-tec P3AT or S&W 642 as backup (no xtra mags or bullets on the backup).

Reply to DGG9

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    You're right of course, but I'm thinking we're mostly talking about high capacity relative to other guns' capacity. Thus a 15 rd Wondernine is "high capacity" compared to a 1911, which is in turn "high capacity" compared to a 5 shot snubby.
    I understand that. On the other hand, this is the words anti-gun anti-2A use against us. Bill Ruger of Ruger Firearms started this 10 round standard in the early 1990's in support of Clinton AWB, etc along with S&W. 10 years of AWB 1994-2004, did a lot of brain-washing on some gun owners and trained a new generation of gun owners to believe this "stuff". Which is why I do not buy Ruger or S&W firearms.

Yes some magazines are "high-er" round count than other magazines.

Just read the words in articles on Omaha, COLO, and other articles for the 15 years by the Brady Bunch and News Sources - "high capacity".

It is not high capacity, it is standard (and non-neutered) capacity. It is not an assault weapon. It is a semi-automatic, plastic stock rifle with a detachable magazine.

Ruger can rot in "H" "E" double hockey sticks for all I care. Putting his profits ahead of the constitution, that is abhorrent.

VIP Member
    Sig 228 with Mec-Gar 15 round mags. So 16 in the gun- usually one spare magazine, sometimes two.

For deep concealment I go with a J-Frame and 2 speed strips- so that gets me to 15 rounds.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    I cant say that I choose a gun based on capacity... If one I happen to like happens to be belt fed, thats just a bonus.
    My main carry guns break down like this... P220, 9 in the gun, and three reloads=33. P228 or G23, 14 in the gun with at least one reload=27 PM9, 7 in gun one reload=14.

The 220 is a duty gun, so I look at it a little differently. I have the huge bat belt on, so I might as well toss some extra mags in there too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

13+1 kimber bp pro .45 . I carry one extra mag.
    Support your local gun shop.

Well, I haven't been here in quite a while, but had to give some input to this thread. Personally I carry 3 spare mags plus the one in the gun <sig 226, glock 19/27 etc> if I'm carrying a 1911 type, i'm carrying a 4 spare 8 rounders, plus another 9 (8+1) rounds in the gun.. paranoid? nope.... just VERY prepared
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Glock 23. 13+1 in the pistol, two mags of 13. Total of 40 rounds. Sometimes (rare) I'll just carry one extra mag in a pocket for 27 rounds total.

Anything less than that and I feel like I'd have too little.
    When I carry my .357 snubby, I have five in the gun plus a speedloader with another five for a total of 10. When I carry my 1911, I have 7+1 and a spare mag for a total of 15.

I have never felt a need to carry more. The reason I say this is I honestly want to understand the reasoning behind carrying 30 or more rounds for self defense. If 15 is not enough, what is? Why stop at 40? What if you needed 41 rounds to stop the threat?

Not trying to be a smart A, I really want to know how one decides what the minimum acceptable number of rounds is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links