Hi capacity guys/gals speak up

This is a discussion on Hi capacity guys/gals speak up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry 8 rounds. I dont figure on missing that much. It will be up close and personel. I heard a quote once. A fellow ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi capacity guys/gals speak up

I carry 8 rounds. I dont figure on missing that much. It will be up close and personel. I heard a quote once. A fellow when asked if carrying 15 rounds was enough. He replied, "How many times are you planning on missing?"
    :-)
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud
    NRA Life Member
    P232
    P229 (40 s&w, 357 sig)
    P250 (9mm)

2. Remove Ads

CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto w/ 14+1. Reliability and capacity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    When I carry my .357 snubby, I have five in the gun plus a speedloader with another five for a total of 10. When I carry my 1911, I have 7+1 and a spare mag for a total of 15.

I have never felt a need to carry more. The reason I say this is I honestly want to understand the reasoning behind carrying 30 or more rounds for self defense. If 15 is not enough, what is? Why stop at 40? What if you needed 41 rounds to stop the threat?

Not trying to be a smart A, I really want to know how one decides what the minimum acceptable number of rounds is.
    For me, it's not the number of rounds I carry... In fact, until I joined this forum, I really don't think I actually counted the numbers.

For me it's is purely a matter of how I was taught and trained, which was by people who HAVE been in gunfights. And that is always carry at least one and preferably two reloads for each gun you have... and so, that is what I do.

I really don't look at the number of rounds, I look at the fact that I have either one or two reloads.

When I was carrying 5 & 6 shot revolvers, I carried one or two reloads and was fine with it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

First let me say that one should make EVERY round count.

But home is a long way aways if you run dry and the BG is still smokin.

G29 10mm with two G20 15 rnd mags on the belt = 40 HIGH POWERED projectiles.

Other carry...

Witness P 10mm, again two extra mags=45 high poered projectiles.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    When I carry my .357 snubby, I have five in the gun plus a speedloader with another five for a total of 10. When I carry my 1911, I have 7+1 and a spare mag for a total of 15.

I have never felt a need to carry more. The reason I say this is I honestly want to understand the reasoning behind carrying 30 or more rounds for self defense. If 15 is not enough, what is? Why stop at 40? What if you needed 41 rounds to stop the threat?

Not trying to be a smart A, I really want to know how one decides what the minimum acceptable number of rounds is.
    I believe that the number of rounds is 1/3 of the equation. If we had only one mag with x rounds. Everything else would be equal and we can discuss the merits of the size of x. That would be because rounds discharged / time would track in a linear fashion.

the second 1/3
    When we take into consideration the number of rounds per magazine / revolver AND the time it takes to reload firearm, we see we have a step function. For example: What if it only 8 rounds to stop an immediate threat, but I only have a 5 shot revolver. There is one heckofalotta time between reloading while there is still a threat. What about 12 rounds, and I only have 8 in my single stack firearm?

I see this in action shoots I am involved with. They are not IDPA sanctioned so there is no 10 round mag max. The 1911 style and revolver shooters take such a long pause when reloading before finishing the course of fire. That pause is almost entirely done while the person is planted and not moving.

In a real confrontation, I believe we want to be there the fastest with the mostest. I can get more rounds discharged on target with a 13 or 15 round semi than something with less capacity.

the last 1/3
    I need to carry at least one reload in the case that my original mag causes a failure. Yes, it takes time to reload, but less time than running home to grab a mag and then re-engaging the threat.

I always have a 2nd mag for my primary. If I am carrying a BUG, it usually does not have a 2nd mag/speedloader.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    g19 with a 33rnd mag. now thats hicap.

joking of corse
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Browning 9mm HP, one back up mag.
    "Proud to be an Infidel"

"Have you hugged your AR today"

60 rounds in 3 mags (5.7)
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Legally I'm not supposed to carry more than 10 rnds in my Hi-cap guns
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Cool

When I carry my SA XD .45 ACP Service, I have one in the chamber and 13 in the mag plus 2 additional mags with 13 each...total 40rds. When I carry my Taurus Millennium Pro .45 ACP, I have one in the chamber and 10 in the mag, plus 2 additional mags with 10 each...31 rds. You can never have too much ammo.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

R3
    Xd9 Service, 16+1/2 mags
    49...always have one extra guy laying around some where. It's too much ammo if it inhibits your ability to carry it. Outside that I think it's fair game.
    -R3

XD 45 (14) plus two mags (26)
    S&W 638 (5) plus two speed loaders (10)

Total: 55

And no I don't feel naked if I am carrying less, I just like to have more then enough.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    If you carry upwards of 12 or so rounds either in one magazine or in a combination of magazines or BUGs speak up. What is your set up to get to high end capacity and do you feel just a little naked with less fire power.
    Hmmm, I would never have considered my Detective Special and a speed strip to be 'high capacity'... or my P3AT and a spare mag (13 rounds total)... Heck, sometimes, I have both, with (gasp) 25 rounds total!

Most gun fights are settled in just a few rounds (3??). I figure if I 'need' all the ammo I'm carrying, I'm going to wish I had a rifle, and several friends... with rifles, and perhaps some sort of air strike capability.

I think the fewest rounds I ever carry is 6. Never felt naked with just those 6.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Glock 26 with +2....13 rounnds and one G17 with +2 spare mag 19 rounds more...so total is 32 rounds.

Para P-14 1 in pipe 3 mags total 43 rounds total

or

Rossi 461 .357 revolver (6 shot) + two speed loaders and 2 speed strips for total of 30 rounds...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links