Recoil: Glock 19 vs. Sig P226

This is a discussion on Recoil: Glock 19 vs. Sig P226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awhile ago I was able to shoot a few rounds with a friend's P226 and I thought it had less recoil than the Glock 19. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil: Glock 19 vs. Sig P226

Recoil: Glock 19 vs. Sig P226

Awhile ago I was able to shoot a few rounds with a friend's P226 and I thought it had less recoil than the Glock 19. Does the "plastic" construction of the Glock, and less weight, diminish or worsen the recoil if both guns are firing the same size cartridges?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

More weight equals less recoil when firing the same round.

So yes the P226 should have less recoil than the Glock 19.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    Awhile ago I was able to shoot a few rounds with a friend's P226 and I thought it had less recoil than the Glock 19.

You thought right. Weight, barrel length and axis all play a role.

Kick your shoes off and stay awhile, welcome to the forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In my opinion, it depends.

I have a G-19 & Sig 226 9mm, and recoil depends on which ammo I use.

For me, 124 grain +p HST is dam near unpleasant to shoot in a Glock 19 . In the Sig 226 it feels like a mild push.

115 grain +p+ C9BPLE doesn't bother me in the Glock at all, but in the Sig its sharp.

Depending on what you shoot in it, recoil varies significantly.

I am not as experinced with differnt loads as Mitchell. But when a buddy of mine was renting differnt guns at the range I had the ability to fire both pistols back to back. I would definitly say the 226 was much smoother. Both were managable. No problem. I usually only shoot .40 and .45 so the 9mm is really nice to me. In fact it really turned me on to the 9mm.

Side note, call me crazy but my .45 P220ST feels smoother and less recoil then the 226 9mm. But thats me.

Administrator
    While it is true that the load can make a difference, I still say its a safe bet the Sig is going to have less recoil most of the time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    I am not as experinced with differnt loads as Mitchell. But when a buddy of mine was renting differnt guns at the range I had the ability to fire both pistols back to back. I would definitly say the 226 was much smoother. Both were managable. No problem. I usually only shoot .40 and .45 so the 9mm is really nice to me. In fact it really turned me on to the 9mm.

Side note, call me crazy but my .45 P220ST feels smoother and less recoil then the 226 9mm. But thats me.

I wouldn't call myself experienced, but when I bought the Sig I ran all my usual carry loads through the gun before deciding I really don't like the Sig all that much.

Accurate, fed everything, but heavy.

Next time I have the chance to buy a Sig, I'm going to pass.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard yemenmocha!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    More weight equals less recoil when firing the same round.
    Only if "all else is equal." All else is not equal:

1. Polymer flame flexes a bit during shooting, which spreads out the recoil pulse.

2. Glocks have a significantly lower bore axis than Sigs, which will certainly act to diminish felt recoil.

3. Grip ergonomics (which is subjective to the shooter) makes a difference to.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Only if "all else is equal." All else is not equal:

1. Polymer flame flexes a bit during shooting, which spreads out the recoil pulse.

2. Glocks have a significantly lower bore axis than Sigs, which will certainly act to diminish felt recoil.

3. Grip ergonomics (which is subjective to the shooter) makes a difference to.
    regarding 1. - I've heard the claim that a Glock's frame flexes. While it may, I don't buy that it is enough to significantly to reduce felt recoil. Just think of how much it would have to flex to play a role.

regarding 2. - I agree that Glocks have a lower bore than Sigs, but I have not found that it reduces felt recoil. I think there is a significant difference between Glock and Sig recoil due to the differing bore heights.

The Glock with the lower bore would produce more rearward thrust and less muzzle lift. The Sig would produce more muzzle life and less rearward thrust.

When I shoot my Glock after shooting a Sig for a while, the Glock's recoil seems snappier or sharper. Part of that is because the Glock is lighter and part of it is because the Glock has more rearward thrust.

When I shoot my Sig after shooting my Glock for a while, the Sig's muzzle lift is more noticeable.

I can't see that either is necessarily an advantage or disadvantage.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I can't see that either is necessarily an advantage or disadvantage.
    I see it as an advantage. Recoil directed straight backwards is absorbed into the arms and shoulders. Recoil that is sent into muzzle flip has to be fought mostly through the human grip, which has less weight and leverage than the entire arm.

Senior Moderator
    Could be but I haven't found that I can shoot a Glock any faster than a Sig. In fact, with a DA/SA Sig, I consistently have faster split times.

My experience is that lift doesn't require any more time to recover from than thrust - they both displace the gun, but if the grip, etc. is correct, the gun should come right back into alignment.

Both are fantastic guns. I have a SIG P226 (.40S&W - 12+1) and a Glock 23 (.40S&W - 13+1), of course the weight has a lot to do with less recoil. Very equal and easy way of comparing the P226-9mm and the Glock 19. They are each very reliable, great guns.

In an ideal world I would carry the P226, but because of the lighter weight the 23 is much easier to carry on a regular basis.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Glock recoils more

I have the Sig P226 in 9mm and also a Glock 19. When I fire them with the same ammo, the Glock has considerably more recoil than the Sig.

I think this is due to the comparative weights of the two guns. According to the company websites, the Sig P226 weighs about 32 ounces empty, while the Glock 19 is about 22 ounces empty. The extra 10 ounces of the Sig dampens the recoil significantly.

If picking one for carry, the smaller, lighter Glock 19 is my choice. Both guns have the same 15 round magazine and are similar in accuracy, at least in my hands.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    ...Both guns have the same 15 round magazine and are similar in accuracy, at least in my hands.
    They do, but you can get 17 round Mecgar flush fit mags for the Sig 226.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links