Colt Agent

This is a discussion on Colt Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a Colt Agent for a great price...what are the opinions of this little wheelgun...will J frame holsters work for ...

Thread: Colt Agent

Colt Agent

I have a chance to buy a Colt Agent for a great price...what are the opinions of this little wheelgun...will J frame holsters work for it...how hard is it to find grips...someone has put pearl grips on it and I personally do not like them...thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I don't know about the grips, but I'm pretty sure the Agent will fit the same holsters as the Colt Detective Special. I am getting ready to come out with a couple styles of pocket holsters, so pocket holsters should be available. I think that Brommeland also makes a Detective Special pocket holster, but I'm not sure that he is taking any more orders.

Concerning the grips, does anyone know it the Detective Special grips are compatible with the Agent? If so, hogue sells them directly through their web site.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

1943 - 2009
    Holsters for a S&W J frame will not fit the Colt Agent. The frames and cylinders are different sizes, with the Colt being the bigger of the two.

The Agent, Cobra & Detective Special all fit the same holster.

The grip frame on the Agent is shorter than the grip frame of the DS, so the stocks are not compatible.

Try here for stocks:

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Hogue and DeSantis

Quote Originally Posted by Karate View Post
    I have a chance to buy a Colt Agent for a great price...what are the opinions of this little wheelgun...will J frame holsters work for it...how hard is it to find grips...someone has put pearl grips on it and I personally do not like them...thanks
    I have the Colt Detective Special, which I believe has the same dimensions but a steel frame instead of aluminum. For grips I use the one piece Hogue wood grips with finger grooves, shown below. They are available in several different types of wood and give a "3 finger" grip.

The best holster I have found for the gun is a simple DeSantis speed scabbard, which holds the gun high on the belt and tight against the body. This gun and holster conceal about as well on the belt as any other I have seen. It is perfect in hot weather under a T shirt worn out.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If you can get an Agent for a great price, grab it! Or if you choose not to, let me know where I can grab it!

Cold D-Frames are great handguns. I regularly carry my Dick Special in a Bianchi IWB holster, and gave my young bride a Cobra for her birthday. I would not regularly shoot +P in the aluminum-framed Agent or Cobra.

My 4th Issue (1993) Detective Special. Came standard w/ excellent Pachmayr grips.

My wife's Cobra.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I love my Agent and carry it every Sunday to church. I cant get enough of these little Colts. I love em! I would definately grab it!!

Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    I've always been a Smith man when it comes to wheelies. But the detective special is one good looking gun. If I ever come across one at an even half decent price I'm jumping all over it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have an Agent. The grips are not the same as the Detective Special. I once bought a cheap rubber pair from CDNN, and carved out the inside to make them fit. Colt stated back in the day that you can shoot +P but you have to have the frame checked every 1000 rounds. I sighted mine in with Hydrashock and practiced with standerd loads.

Links