Need New Carry Gun - Opinions Please

This is a discussion on Need New Carry Gun - Opinions Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my vote is then for either a govt 1911 (SA or kimber are my favs) or an XD...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need New Carry Gun - Opinions Please

my vote is then for either a govt 1911 (SA or kimber are my favs) or an XD

2. Remove Ads

Beretta is comping out with the Px4 Storm in a subcompact model in January. They also just came out with the Px4SD (Special Duty), a .45ACP. But I'm not sure if they'll have a Px4SD subcompact.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

take a look at the kahr cw40. it's very slim and light. can be had for around 400 as someone said earlier.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    WOW! Awesome input - thanks! Reason #42 why I love this site. I'll try on a few and see what fits. Kimber is a bit out of my price range, though I like the way it feels. I know Springfield makes a 1911 Commander as does S&W and that option is on the table. Kahr and the XD look good. Glocks do nothing for me, however I can't pass judgement until I try on one. Several friends would divorce their wives before they part with their Glocks! Consolidating to one caliber has crossed my mind; adding a caliber crossed it too! I've thought about adding a 9mm to my collection so I could have "the big three." The downside is acquisition cost and yet another caliber to stock. The upside is diversification.

I think I will start my gun fund and see how it grows. Once I get over the $400 mark, I'll start thinking about which pistol to add. For now, the suggestions to improve my holster and leather makes a TON of sense. My 1911 and I go way back and I just don't miss with it - rapid fire or staged fire. On the other hand, there's something about the XD .45 with near double my mag capacity.....

Thanks again to all!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I weigh about 175 lbs. and stand 5'11" tall. I have no trouble carry a Gov. model or a Sig226, 220, 229, and a host of others under a t-shirt in the summer. Your 1911 should work great if it's reliable for your primary carry.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

sheewwwt...I'd carry that 1911!

Summer or winter...it's an easy carry with the right IWB holster. Try Cross Breed for awesome holsters.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the Stoeger Couger very reasonable priced pistol. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...cougar8000.tpl

I would stay with the government 1911 and make sure you get a good belt and holster. I recommend Kirkpatrick's TSS. Stay safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I don't like the feel of a sub-compact (not enough gun for my hand), but I've never shot one so I can't say how I would shoot.

Regarding Glock sub-compacts. I mostly carry a G27, and yes you are right, not really enough gun for my hand. However you can get a Pearce grip extension for your mag. which helps (my son has one on his) or you can get a new magazine floor that has a little spur that extends the bottom (I have that on mine). I really like mine, it makes a HUGE difference in having something to hold on to w/o making the gun larger. Good luck on your selection.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

As far as a full size weapon goes your 1911 is probably as small or smaller then most others listed. Yep a XD45 has just about double the capacity and is also a tank in size compared to the 1911. I have a XD thats spends most of its time in the safe. I have been thinking also about a M&P45 to try but it will probably end up in the safe with all the others as I tend to go back to the 1911. Winter is easy but summertime I carry my 1911 in a OWB Allessi CQC and a untucked button up shirt. Carry the 1911 until spring and by then you will have decided on the 1911 full time.

VIP Member
    CZ P-01 9mm, P-06 40 cal or CZ RAMI in either 9mm or 40 cal. all are easy to conceal, extremely accurate and won't break the bank buying them.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    If I were you, I would go with a model with a thumb safety or no safety at all, since that is the type you are already familiar with. No sense in getting a gun with a completely different/incompatible manual of arms than what you are used to. If it helps, I really like my Kahr, and you can pick up a used K model or a new CW model for not much more than $400 if you shop around.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

SA-XD9,40,45 compact or subcompact all make excellent carry guns. But I agree with everybody above, there is no reason you can't carry what you have. The SmartCarry holster is pretty inexpensive(under $50) and has several different sizes to fit any size gun. Also, unlike IWB, you don't need a belt and you can tuck in your shirt or not. I honestly forget I am carrying sometimes, and their customer service was impecable.

Of course everyone has their personal favorites. I carry a Springfield XD .40 SC with Trijicon Night Sights in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck Deluxe IWB holster. In my opinion this pistol AND the holster are the most natural and comfortable fits for me.
    I am in support of the NRA position on gun control. Bill Clinton

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Colorado does not license the pistol , it licenses the person. go with what you have for the winter , and by the late spring when things really warm up you will have much more an idea what changes you need to make if any .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links