Brother asks: Is Glock 30 reliable?

This is a discussion on Brother asks: Is Glock 30 reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother is looking at purchasing the Glock 30 .45 pistol. He is unsure of its reliability and states that a gun this small, doesn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother asks: Is Glock 30 reliable?

Brother asks: Is Glock 30 reliable?

My brother is looking at purchasing the Glock 30 .45 pistol. He is unsure of its reliability and states that a gun this small, doesn't it have problems with malfunctions? Because I have never fired a Glock 30 nor do I know very much about this pistol, I would like the opinions of shooters on this site on the following:

1) How is its reliability?

2) With a gun this small, how is its recoil?

3) How accurate is this gun?

My brother wishes to use this for protecting his home. Thank you for all of your thoughts and opinions. Hopefully this will give my brother an idea to purchase this pistol or not to purchase this pistol.

Semper Fi!

2. Remove Ads

i am not a glock fan personally, but they are known for their reliability.
    as i have never shot the 30, i dont know about recoil and such, but im sure its manageable. also, if he is using it for home defense only, might as well go bigger.

1) Mine has been 100% reliable, not a single malfunction. The G30 (as with most Glocks) have an excellent reliability record.

2) Very mild shooting 45 cal., esp. with standard pressure ammo. IMO, handles the recoil better than my 1911's.

3) More accurate than I am.

I use mine as a bedside and carry gun, and find it easily concealable due to the shorter grip. It is "blocky", but it's also Glock. Can't beat 11rds 45cal in such a small package. There is plenty of info on the G30 on this board.

I've had the chance to shoot the G30 and reallt liked it. The recoil for ME wasn't bad. As for relibility....I HATE to say it like this, but it is a GLOCK. I have a G23 and hae done everything i can think of to try and get a FTF FTE and so on, I can't do it. Not saying that it can't be done, but I think your brother will like the gun.
    God Bless America!!

The Glock 30 is a winner in all aspects. Very reliable if you don't limp wrist it, recoil isn't bad considering it's weight in the 45acp, and it's as accurate as the shooter. I just traded mine a couple weeks ago for something that better suits me in the 45acp. The G-30 for me-------I have carried it alot, but not as much as my other Glocks (even the full size models). It's a bit thick for me, and even with the extended finger groove 10 round magazines, was a bit top heavy even with a full mag. The G-36 wasn't around when I bought the G-30, and if I'd have had the 36, it could have well been my number one carry option. I'll still be looking into the G-36 in the future, and the mere 6 round capacity wouldn't be a factor for me.

Mine is very reliable. Recoil is very soft. Very accurate too. I love the thick grip. I don't have big hands but it fits nicely. I'm pretty skinny too and can conceal it under a light T-shirt. Friesepferd, I'll bring my G30 next Sunday if Dan is coming to the range. Pretty sure he is.

Here's how I roll:

I love my Glock 30! Its great!
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

B52
    Love mine, it's ultra reliable and dead balls acurate.

Everyone covered it pretty well, so not much for me to add to this one. +1 for the G30.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

If it's for home protection, I'd get the new Glock 21SF. The grip has been reduced in these new models, and it feels almost like a Glock 17 in the grip. It has a picatinny rail for a light, which is nice for home defense, and holds 13+1.

If he's going to carry it concealed, however, I'd go with the Glock 30. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I dont have a Glock 30... I have a 36 and as far as I know its the same caliber as the 30. I'm very impressed with mine. Cleaning is a breeze, and has not jammed to this day

Had mine over a year. NO malfunctions. not even a jam. ZERO.
    I recomend. only went to the g22 for 5 more rounds.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    If it's for home protection, I'd get the new Glock 21SF. The grip has been reduced in these new models, and it feels almost like a Glock 17 in the grip. It has a picatinny rail for a light, which is nice for home defense, and holds 13+1.

If he's going to carry it concealed, however, I'd go with the Glock 30. Either way, you can't go wrong!

If he can wait, the glock 30SF is just starting to ship. Just google it. It has a shorter grip from front to back like the current 21sf, but maintains the smaller overall size like the standard 30. Both of the 30s and 21s have a rail, some have picatinny, some have ambidextrous mag release. The 30SF seems to be the best of both worlds in my opinion.

VIP Member
    It makes me smile to know that there are still people learning about Glocks. You spend too much time on these forums and it seems like everyone has their opinions about them already ingrained.

Glocks are great pistols. I relied on them exclusively for several years. (Until I made the mistake of picking up a Sig 226). They are more than combat accurate, will go bang every time, and will last a life time for most people. The grip angle is a little odd, but other than that there is no reason to not love them.

It has been a while since I owned a Glock. Now I find myself tempted to pick up another 23. I just miss having one around.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Glock 30 is IMHO the best compact .45ACP pistol available outside of a 4" 1911.

Reliable, accurate and easy shooting; what's not to like?

If carry is not an issue then i would definitely suggest looking at the 21SF for a home defense weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links