What caliber - Page 2

What caliber

This is a discussion on What caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have various weapons...but as for an EDC, I prefer any .45...Kimber Ultra or Glock-36....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What caliber

I have various weapons...but as for an EDC, I prefer any .45...Kimber Ultra or Glock-36.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Metro, that's a big help. Sorry, I was off on the 357/125 gr. velocity. But you understood what I was considering.
    I have not looked at handgun bullets for defense for some time and have been updating myself with what is out there. When I last looked, Federal 230 hydra shok were one of the better ones. Not they have changed as well.
    You gave me a lot of info. if a few short bytes, thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Aw, you guys are adding some interesting information.
    I may have made a mistake in the way I wrote my question, as my interests were more on the bullet type and weight than calaber.
    My goal is to be somewhere near teh old standby 357/125 gr bullet. this formula is a proven stopper, but, the next question is what bullet weight in each caliber gets me there and, what bullet type is going to transfer energy best to my target?
    Hope this is making sense.
    I'll start with the original question first, then go to this one.

My Primary is one of three guns that I routinely choose from for off duty carry. I'll also give you the loads and the reasons I chose the load I did.

45 ACP Revolver: Corbon 185 Grain +P DPX
    Better barrier penetration, less recoil than the .357 Magnum and "almost as much stopping power theoretically". Right now this is my most carried gun.

.357 Magnum Revolver Black Hills 125 Grain JHP or Remington 125 Grain SJHP
    This is the "King Of The Hill" in regards to stopping power, 'nuff said.

Glock19 9mm Corbon 115 Grain DPX
    Best barrier penetration in a 9mm with minimal recoil and "theoretically" should give me 90%+ capability in "One Shot Stops".

Now to the second part. Nothing gives you the same or better stopping power of the .357 Magnum. There are rounds that come "close" but one shot stops are not guaranteed with any round, even a shotgun loaded with 00 Buckshot.

Look at the 357 Sig, it was designed to "mimic" the "classic" .357 Magnum 125 Grain. It seems to do well, but it doesn't beat the revolver in my opinion. Besides, once you get something rated over 90% in "One Shot Stops" it's all pretty equal. The shooter has to do their part and put the bullets where they will do the most good.

There are trade-offs to each handgun round. I myself like the "original" and will be carrying it daily when I'm on my "own time" after the New Year. My wife is giving me a GP100 for Christmas with a 3" Barrel, right now I infrequently carry a 5" 686+. I just have to get it back from the Gunsmith before I start packing it in my Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

Biker

Biker, thanks for sharing, you are correct about the 1 shot stop theory. We have to do our part and it is only a concept based on reasonable information.
    For some reason that is a good formula at relates to PD work.
    Any reason why you chose the 45/185gr. vs: a heavier bullet? The 200 is no slouch.

just please remember ANY handgun you choose to carry is going to be a compromise. there is no magic bullet/caliber/platform/technique that will overcome that compromise.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Make mine a .45 with a DPX. Not a SURE stopper but about as close as you can get.

Echo, you are so right. There is no such thing as a sure stopper.
    coffeecup, whats a DPX?

Biker, thanks for sharing, you are correct about the 1 shot stop theory. We have to do our part and it is only a concept based on reasonable information.
    For some reason that is a good formula at relates to PD work.
    Any reason why you chose the 45/185gr. vs: a heavier bullet? The 200 is no slouch.

I'm using the 185 Grain +P because I'm shooting a 4" Revolver instead of a 5" Government Model.

I believe that you lose some velocity due to having a shorter barrel and a cylinder gap. Therefore I want to drive the bullet as fast as I reasonably can to make up for the resulting losses of using a revolver over an enclosed system, like an autoloader.

Biker

Echo, you are so right. There is no such thing as a sure stopper.
    coffeecup, whats a DPX?
    Here ya go.....

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/dpx.htm

It's a solid copper hollowpoint. No lead, no jacket. They seem to work well, from what I've read, but I've not tried them myself. DPX stands for Deep Penetrating X bullet.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I use a 225 JHP 45 Colt.

I like my S&W K-Frame .38 Special. A fixed sight S&W 3 or 4-inch Model 13 or Model 65 in .357 Magnum would be excellent for those who don't consider the .38 Special to have quite enough punch. In a semi auto I'd select a .40 S&W or .45 ACP over the 9mm for my use. I do love shooting the Hi-Power but don't have one in .40...yet.

I like the idea of a .44 or .45 S&W N-frame revolver as have been mentioned and wouldn't mind accomodating a big revolver at all. The .44 and .45 N-Frame S&W's I have on hand that could be "totable" are somewhat collectable and the newer ones are too long. A revolver in .44 Special, .45 ACP, or .45 Colt would be the utlimate in my view. Maybe I ought to rustle one up.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    It sounds like you have your calibers already bought....Now it is a choice on the kind of ammo...I really like and carry Cor-Bon ammo...it is a great company with outstanding customer service. I like there pow'r ball line of personal defense ammo.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I use a 9mm and 38 spcl +P. The 38 spcl is my J frame 442, and everything else in a handgun is 9mm. Why the 9mm? Two reasons. First, I have shot it my entire life, and feel extremely comfortable (and superstitious) with it. Second, I am LAZY and cheap. I don't want to reload, and I don't like spending a whole lot to shoot, therefore 6-7 dollars on a box of paper punchers is ok with me.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I carry 9mm Hydra-Skoks in my Kahr MK9, and Glaser Safety Slugs in my Glock 22. Still,I don't think what you shoot out of the gun matters as much as where the bullet goes.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links