9mm. sub-compact vs. service/tactical

9mm. sub-compact vs. service/tactical

This is a discussion on 9mm. sub-compact vs. service/tactical within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a little help. I currently PROUDLY own a springfeild xd 40 cal. Excellant carry gun for me. I am considering getting a xd ...

Thread: 9mm. sub-compact vs. service/tactical

Question 9mm. sub-compact vs. service/tactical

I need a little help. I currently PROUDLY own a springfeild xd 40 cal. Excellant carry gun for me. I am considering getting a xd 9mm. I was just wondering what the shooting differance was between the subcompact models compared the the service and tatical models? I'm sure both are great and its all opionated. IF you own the sub model, What are your dislikes (if any)?

Its better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it!!
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

My only dislike is that my subcompact isn't a .45.

I have the subcompact 9, and a friend has the service 9. I find very little difference in shooting them. I notice a difference in concealment, especially using a Smartcarry or carrying appendix, with the subcompact obviously being easier to hide. I don't find much difference carrying IWB at 3, but at 2 o'clock, the service grip digs into my stomach. And with the Smartcarry, the service grip end is harder to conceal. Concealment is critical for me, and the shortened grip of the subcompact makes a huge difference. But as for shooting, I cannot tell a difference. There may be some difference, but I haven't noticed it yet.

I cannot speak for any long distance shooting difference as I haven't shot either one over 25 yards, and I have not fired a tactical yet.

You could get the service, have the grip cut to the subcompact grip length and then use the subcompact mags in it. Basically making the XD45C in a XD9C configuration.

Then use the service mags with a sleeve (that you can get for the SC) to make it full size/capacity.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have both

I have both the service and subcompact in the 9mm. I like them both greatly. I have made an attempt to cut my service down to the grip of the sub but well thats another long story. Shooting for defensive purposes the subcompact is very accurate. I find shooting past 20 yards with Tru-Glo tritium/fiber optic sights still pretty accurate but of course because the shorter sight radius it does get hard to keep the groups tighter. Of course you really shouldn't be engaging past twenty yards but that depends on the situation. I am thinking of just getting the XD45 compact in the service model length, maybe the tactical. This way you get the shorter grip for better concealment, good stopping power, and the option for a slightly larger capacity with the extended/full size mag. I hope that aids you.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I need a little help. I currently PROUDLY own a springfeild xd 40 cal. Excellant carry gun for me.
    steve-o what model is your xd40 ? Is it the xd subcompact you like to carry? I am really looking at the xd 40 sc as it seems like fine for carry but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

VIP Member
    I have the xdsc40 and love it. My bro n law has a tactical. The tactical is more accurate at farther distances and is a dream to shoot. Of course it has less recoil than the sc. I can draw and shoot at 7-10 yards with my sc and group just fine. I am thinking of going with the tactical some day. But i'm in no hurry.
    It really has to do with concealability. The sc comes with the 12 round mag and the 9 round mag. I've carried the 12 round mag with no problem in the winter. Summer I go with the 9 round. I love my xd40sc.

My 40 is the 4" service model. Its pretty easy to conceal in the winter, But you have to be carefull in the summer months. Thats another reason I would like to purchase the 3" sub-compact.
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

steve-o,

I also have a Springfield XD 40 S&W 4" service model. I also tried the sub-compact and 5" versions. The place where I got it had a shooting range, and all models were available for rent so I tried all of them, with the exception of 9mm because I needed it for work and concealment.

For some reason, I felt that I didn't have enough grip with the sub compact model. I also felt that the sub-compact wasn't as evenly distributed when it came to weight. It just might be my giganto girlish hands that contributed to the situation, or because I didn't have the extended sleeve available to me at the time.

The shooting was really good after I got over the mentality of thinking to much to place each round due to it being a shorter barrel thus less accurate. When I aimed at 25 ft. it practically placed where I wanted it to go. The 5" were really good in placing rounds at far distances, but the 5" was two big for me.

When I think about it, I probably would go with the Springfield XD 40 S&W Sub-compact due to me having more concealment choices. For instance, ankle, pocket, stomach and so on.

I settled on the XD 40 S&W 4" because it was actually cheaper than the sub-compact at the time due to discounts (first gun, coupon, and 21st b-day).

I just purchased and recieved two holsters for my XD-40 4" that I will be writing a review in a little bit, so it may be helpful for you when it comes to concealment.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I have both the service and sub compact .40 models, I do not think you will be disappointed with owning a sub. The 9mm will be cheaper to shoot. Keep in mind that they just started selling conversion barrels for the sub compact a few weeks ago also. https://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=37.
    Keep in mind that you can go from a .40 to a 9mm but not a 9mm to a
    .40, the .40 can be converted to a .357sig also.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    I have both the service and sub compact .40 models, I do not think you will be disappointed with owning a sub. The 9mm will be cheaper to shoot. Keep in mind that they just started selling conversion barrels for the sub compact a few weeks ago also. https://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=37.
    Keep in mind that you can go from a .40 to a 9mm but not a 9mm to a
    .40, the .40 can be converted to a .357sig also.
    I haven't done any coversions for my Springfield XD, so my knowledge is somewhat limited but... Would converting it to a smaller cal void the warranty?

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanko View Post
    I haven't done any conversions for my Springfield XD, so my knowledge is somewhat limited but... Would converting it to a smaller cal void the warranty?
    No, it is a drop in conversion barrel. If you have a warranty issue , just put the stock barrel in before you sent it to SA.

Sponsored Links