Ruger sp101

Ruger sp101

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the wife, what do you think of a ruger sp101 in 32 magnum? She hates the recoil of my 40 kahr and although I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101

Ruger sp101

For the wife, what do you think of a ruger sp101 in 32 magnum? She hates the recoil of my 40 kahr and although I have shot a 38 snubby Im gonna assume it may be a bit much for her. In addition she has shot my single six which is a 32 magnum and didnt complain, but it is bigger than sp101.

I have a .38 Airweight snubby; my wife has a SP101 .357 which she shoots .38s with. A .38 fired from a SP101 kicks less than a .38 fired from an Airweight. Which snubby did you shoot?

I'd get the SP 101, but shoot 38's, if she is recoil sensitive. The SP101 is fairly heavy as snubbies go and soaks up recoil. You can also change out the grips, if she still feels it jolts too much. Their are plenty of choices for .38 ammo, bigger selection than you'll find in the less popular.32. AND IF she ever needs to use the gun to defend herself, the .38 would have a stronger impact on a BG.

My wife shoots .32 Single Six's for cowboy action shooting, as she likes the lower recoil. But her in her SP101, she shoots .38's and find no problem with recoil. SHe is a rather petite gal.

Having a good grip and shooting stance might also help her adjust.

My wife prefers the 32 magnum because of the recoil and she shoots it better. Since we do CAS her caliber of choice is the same or S&W 32 long.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My wife shoots .38's out of a 2 1/4" SP101 with no problems. She is not a fan of recoil, and really enjoys shooting the SP101. We did change out the stock grips for the rubber monogrip which made it easier on the hands.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Take a look at the Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum and load it with 38 Special rounds.

You could also check out the new Ruger SP101 in .327 Magnum if you want to be a "test case". I myself never volunteer to be a "test case" if that tells you anything.

Recoil should be minimal with 38 Special in the SP101. It is the only small frame .357 Magnum I would even consider shooting, and I'm a .357 fan. I suggest the .357 Magnum over the 38 Special gun because you will have more "versatility".

Biker

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm
    Great article on the new .327 magnum SP101 6 shot. Maybe that would be the best of both worlds?

I carry a SP101 in 357 for a BUG and I think it's pretty easy on the hand with 125 gr. Golden Sabers.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I wonder if the .327's recoil will be about the same as a regular .38?

I like the idea of 6 rounds, however, for now, I'd also recommend the SP101 with the 2" barrel in .38. Then I'd look for milder, low recoil rounds and the grips can make a huge difference.

I have the 3 & 1/16" barrel and when I shoot .38's it's absolutely mild. I have Pachmyr Compac grips on mine but even the stock grips are outstanding with .38's.

I don't know if you can get this gun in .38 only but I would recommend the .357 variant so you could "borrow" it occassionally and shoot .357. With regular .357 rounds it's tolerable but when I shoot a 158 grain +p load it's, well, intense

If she could shoot one herself it would really show her the potential.

God Bless
    Gideon

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Don't forget to figure in cost of ammo...not sure how expensive those new 327 rounds will be...mild .38s in the Sp are a dream to shoot...my wife has no problem and she is pretty recoil sensitive...

Get the .357mag, start light and work up through the power levels.

Something like a Speer 135gr Short Barrel load for .38special would be a fine self defense load, until she was able to handle .357mag loads.

Well the snubby I shot was an airweight, pretty snappy too. As far as the 32magnum, I can load em up depending on the sp101, Ive done that on the single six and shoulda been in the 300 ft lb range with 100grn bullet.
    Ill have to check out that 327magnum and thx every one.

edited..
    ps I just read that article on the 327 magnum..all I can say WOW. (especially on those handloads he did!!)

I really like my 2 1/4" SP101. I bobbed the hammer on it the other day and just put on Trausch grips which are really "hand-filliing" for me.

I'd go with the .357 and have her shoot mild .38s in the gun. No problem finding ammo anywhere and I think the 38/357 has "caught on". No telling if the new cartridges will catch on our not.

If you reload, soft shooting 38 loads are no problem at all.

Cloudpeak

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Coming through VA on Hwy 81? Drop by and try ours! I love the SP-101, and even with the .357 I don't remember any recoil at all (of course I'm huge, so I'm cheating). It is a great pocket gun for me. (2 1/4" barrel, bobbed hammer)

Look out for weight, however: while the weight of the gun is such that recoil is quite a bit less than an airweight, it may be a chore for her to carry it. Left on the nightstand is no good.

Also, while I like the 'pull-bang' nature of revolvers, the trigger pull on an SP-101 is a little stiff. You can do a trigger job yourself, though, by dry-firing a lot.

My wife carries hers in a Tommy's Original Fanny Pack. When we can afford it, I'll be getting her a polymer gun for weight and trigger pull concerns. Then I get the SP-101!

My wife has the 2 1/4 .357. Talk about a sweet shooter with not that much recoil.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links