A Nice Little Custom Carry Gun

This is a discussion on A Nice Little Custom Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By Reeder (Link To Site Below Photo) GARY REEDER CUSTOM GUNS. NICE SMOOTH TIGHT LITTLE PACKAGE! Some Other Great Custom Firearms...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Nice Little Custom Carry Gun

Administrator

A Nice Little Custom Carry Gun

By Reeder (Link To Site Below Photo)
    GARY REEDER CUSTOM GUNS.
    NICE SMOOTH TIGHT LITTLE PACKAGE!

Some Other Great Custom Firearms

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Looks very sweet QK Should fit in my Xmas sock very nicely!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Looks very sweet QK Should fit in my Xmas sock very nicely!
    Hmmm, I bet your Christmas "sock" looks more like a holster than a sock!

OOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo that's summda spicy pistola there !!

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm, I bet your Christmas "sock" looks more like a holster than a sock!
    Shhh - don't tell
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nice but ouchy on the price i must be cheep

Hehe I'm with Bud.

If I had something like this I'd be scared to death to actually use it for its intended purpose! It's too nice to put holster wear on it!

DC Founder
    That is a nice looking 1911 and I don't really see the price as being that high for a custom 1911. Nor would I worry about carrying it everyday. The finish is something that can be redone if you wear it out.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Let me put it to ya this way Bumper-

Let's say I see a lavishly restored vintage car. Candy apple red, polished chrome, tricked out engine, you know, just perfect.

It must drive like a dream.

It must be exhiliration itself in motion.

It would be make you feel like a movie star to be able to say you drive that thing everywhere...

But putting a scuff on it in a parking lot would be a crime!

Now let's say there's this custom made pistol. Fitted Novak low profile sights, McCormick trigger, custom carry hammer, beavertail and mainspring housing with our own rounded Gunfighter Grip, fully throated and ramped barrel, full action job, ultra slim checkered grips, you know, just perfect...

It's the same reason I wouldn't chop brush with a Bagwell Bowie, it's the same reason I wouldn't pin the Mona Lisa up on my living room wall, it's the same reason I can't bring myself to drive the vintage car to the store!

DC Founder
    I carry my Nighthawk and it cost about 30% higher than that gun. I take care of it and don't abuse it, but I carry it, shoot it and accept normal wear on the finish. I was willing to pay for it because of the craftsmanship, reliability and the confidence I have in it. Holster wear means little. While paying that much for a gun may seem frivolous to some, if you can afford it and want it, there's no reason you shouldn't buy it. I'm worth it to me.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper I pose a question to you:

Do you know the real reason why I don't have say a K38 Combat Masterpiece or a Golt Government 1911?

It's because the people who originally had these things didn't realize what an amazing thing they really had! To them these were mundane everyday tools. That's why there's not very many around, and why they're so valuable now. To them it was just a gun. Carry it around, shoot it every weekend, you know...

And the thing is, these are excellent quality guns. With proper care and maintenance they should have lasted forever and ever and I am sure most of the people who owned them cared about them. I am 100% positive these people had every noble intention of keeping these guns in optimal condition forever.

Yet somehow here I am in 2005 reading about what great guns these used to be. There should be stacks upon stacks of these things sitting around but there's not.

I'm just sayin'... 30 years from now there'll be some other goof with a handle like "Pythagoras" on an internet forum just like this one going on and on about how great those old Nighthawks were but he can't find one to save his life and even if he did he couldn't spring for it because most of the people who had them...

That's more than just some gun you have there! That's something special!

Take that for whatever it's worth, which in mathematical parlance, probably approaches zero.

1952 - 2006
    I'm with Bumper on this one. I too have a VERY custom 1911.
    I had it so custom made that the serial number on the frame is BOB FORD 1. I spec'ed out every detail of that gun right down to what springs were to be used in it. It has a fully supported, ramped Bar-Sto bull barrel, Heine magwell that was welded to a cut-off grip frame and the grips inletted to fit over the magwell. I shoot this gun all the time, at every competition I go to, it is the gun I use. I also have this gun on my CCW becuase I trust it to work. That is the very reason I had it built, to shoot it. Yes, it is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece and I would never think of not taking care of it in any way. However this gun is a shooter and DAMN!! does it shoot. I fantasize about the day that I may shoot as well as it can. When I got it, I was told it was guaranteed to shoot less than 2" at 50 yards (with the right ammo, of course).
    I blew this gun up twice with reloads. Blew the barrel hood right out of the gun and haven't shot my reloads since. (mostly because I don't have my bench set up anymore).
    But Euc I have to disagree with you. Some things, even the very best, have to be used for their intended purpose.
    Since it blew up and I had it rebuilt, I now have about $3500 in this gun. I would never dream of not shooting it.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I would love a custom gun but man im to cheep to buy one ...

3500 that 3 kimbers if i was to buy them or 3 springers or colts.. i would love a semi custom ed brown Kobra carry but 2200 is hard for me to cough up

New Member Array Silver_Mongoose's Avatar
    I think those of us who have difficulty even beginning to afford having a high-end custom gun are more likely to reserve themselves from putting too much wear and tear on it, should we have one.

It's the basic thought framework of: "Holy ****, I took out a second mortgage to get this thing, I better not give it so much as a wrong look!"

If I could afford an all-stops-pulled custom piece without worrying too much about my financial situation, then I probably wouldn't worry about repair costs. However, until that day comes, I'll stick to my Rugers, and the odd good deal I got on a few other brands.

My rule is, if I have to contemplate going into debt to buy a particular gun, I'll just pass and admire it from a distance. Maybe, perhaps, download a picture and put it on my desktop wallpaper.

Administrator

Vintage Colt 1911s

The Insatiable Colt Collectors Have Dried Up The Shooting Pony Pool.
    Actually there SHOULD be 10s of thousands upon thousands of good working vintage Colt 1911 pistols around (For Sale CHEAP) but, they are ALL tied up in private collections & will probably never see another bullet out the muzzle.
    Every Colt Govt. Model Collector hasta have at least one of every year & every model & every variety & variance of .45 & there are none left to buy as shooters. And they hafta hafta have a Navy & A Ithaca & A Singer & an Arsenal Rebuild & an Early Gold Cup. They scoop up the poor condition ones for parts & all of the slides and barrels and there ain't nothin' left for shooters to shoot! They gotta have one of every flavor with the Colt horsey logo "in the circle" & the Colt horsey on the other side & the one without the Colt Horsey.
    It's a downright Cryin' Shame I tell ya!
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 1st, 2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Mistspielled Worde
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links