Shop Vicariously Through Me...

This is a discussion on Shop Vicariously Through Me... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok... I'm hurting to go buy me a gun. I've come across Bud's Gun Shop and read very favorable reviews in the forums. I currently ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Vicariously Through Me...

Shop Vicariously Through Me...

Ok... I'm hurting to go buy me a gun. I've come across Bud's Gun Shop and read very favorable reviews in the forums. I currently have a Bersa Thunder 380, and I really like it. I want to get some more guns for CC as well as for fun, since very few stores in my area (i.e. 30 minute drive) really carry that much. I have a store 5 minutes from my office I could have the guns delivered to ($45 charge), so I'm thinking of getting myself a Christmas gift.

I'm looking at the following:
    • Springfield XD 45ACP 4" or 5" $504 or $529 delivered
    • Bersa Thunder 9mm (10 round, 3.5" barrel) $296 delivered
    • Bersa Thunder 40 S&W (13 round, 4.3" barrel) $360 delivered
    • Smith & Wesson 340PD .357 Mag Airlite $684 delivered

I am going to head back to the range and see if they have a S&W that I could rent, but for a revolver I'm looking for something I can throw in a pocket holster and not even know its there.

I'm a novice so for now I'm just trying to stick with what I know and seem to like so far, although I haven't fired an XD, people around here seem to love them.

Later
    Jared
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Jared,

I currently carry a XD .40 4" and love it. I have fed it approx. 2K rounds with nary a hiccup. Very simple weapon, point & shoot = BANG. Very similar to a Glock, with the addition of the back strap safety. I liked the way the XD felt in my hand over the Glock, and that is what made my decision, not the safety. That just happens to be an added benefit.

I haven't shot that particular model S&W, but I know that shooting .357 in an Airweight frame is a painful experience I don't want to repeat.

I have no experience at all with the Bersa's.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I tote a S&W Model 642 in a pocket on occasion and it can be really handy. I've never fired a J-Frame .357. I'd love to have a go with one but don't see me owning one. The +P 158 SWC makes me happy in .38 Special. Can't comment on the semi-autos listed but would scrap the idea of the small .357 revolver and go for a S&W Model 442 or 642. You'll have dependable, shootable protection and save some money too. Spend the difference in the cost of the 340 and one of the good .38 Special revolvers to purchase ammo.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    If I'm shopping vicariously through you, you ain't buying any of those. You're buyin' a .338EDGE on a savage action with a 30" Lilja 1-10 tube with a holland brake. All slapped in a Mcmillan A-5 stock and topped off with say.....a S&B tactical scope. That ought to put you back at least 4K, so start savin' your nickles and dimes buster!

I vote "none" of the above.

I have a 340PD but would personally never spend the money on a new one, I picked up my lightly used one for $500 shipped to my FFL.

How about a Glock 19, 26 or 30?

I owned a XD45 for a short time and it was very big and therefore definitely not a CCW weapon for me, but it might work for you.

The XD9 Service sized gun is on sale at Bud's for $439 delivered, that would be an excellent Christmas present.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Since you have a Bersa, I'd either go for a higher caliber (i.e., 9mm) or a different platform such as a revolver. Personally I think you should consider the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. It's a great gun, concealable (albiet a little heavy) and it's pure pleasure to shoot with .38's but becomes very formidable with .357.

The Springfield XD's look kind of neat but are too thick in the grip for my hand buy it's your hand that matters.

Another gun that would be in the price range you're looking at, that would add a higher caliber, be fun to shoot and would be GREAT for CCW would be the Kahr CW9. Recoil isn't bad, they're more reliable than most think, the price is right, customer service is good and they're very thin and concealable.

God Bless
    Gideon

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure if the Bersa 9mm you refer to is the UC-9 but, I have one of those and it's a fine piece for the price. Fairly ''chunky'' in the grip, which I like - whole feel is good and it shoots well for me.

Haven't used it for carry - haven't needed to but would if need be - no problem.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    DO NOT let them talk you out of the SW.
    Why? you ask.
    Well, I bought stock in the company two weeks ago, and since then they have lost about 36% of their market value. One day they were the largest % loser on the d@*n stock exchanges!
    So, please, for my sake, for my kids' sake, buy the Smith. Buy a couple!
    Seriously, get a smith 38 special and avoid the 357, which is brutal.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Bad advice, get the 357. You can always shoot 38 out of it anyway. Instead of the Bersa 40 or 9, why not get the 45!

Out of the guns listed i would get the XD. By the way have you shopped around $45 seems a little steep to me, I pay $20 per transfer.
    My world is the only one that counts

Ditto on the S&W 642

Instead of the .357 S&W on your list, which is difficult to shoot because of excessive recoil, I would second the previous suggestions for the model 642 airweight, which will handle .38 special +P ammo. It is cheaper to buy and much more practical to shoot, yet it easily fits in your pocket. I've had mine for about 10 years:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    go for a S&W Model 442 or 642. You'll have dependable, shootable protection and save some money too. Spend the difference in the cost of the 340 and one of the good .38 Special revolvers to purchase ammo.
    +1
    442 for me.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Ah the noob in me comes shinning through. In PA Gov. Rendell is trying desperately to put some dumb gun laws in to place, and although he failed this last time on 3 out of 4 laws he wanted to pass, I have no doubt he will try again.

I'm not rolling in the dough (i.e. no $4k budget for a single gun), but I live very comfortably and can afford things for comfort and pleasure over price. $45 might be expensive for a transfer, but the shop is literally a 3 minute drive for me and I pass it several times a week on business, so the mileage is even deductable... lol.

I like how the Bersa feels in .308 caliber (am I right in saying that?), so maybe this post should be more "If I like one Bersa... will I like more?" or "If I know I like one gun, should I try others that seem to get good reviews?" I'm limited by what the 1 shooting range with a rental that is near me carries, but I have no problem buying a gun for fun if I trust the brand and have atleast tried the caliber.

Personally... after the fun I have had with the Bersa 380, I would love to make my next purchase up to a 9mm... and if I like that then a 40 or 45. Because of my business and how limited I am in how I can conceal things, I think a pocket revolver is my best bet, so I will look into a S&W for sure. If the Airlite's suck for recoil, then that is good to know and I'll look at something with a bit more weight.

My father in law has a bunch of Keltecs and they make me wanna yack. Sig's have a nice feel to them, and I have held Springfield and Kimber 1911's and liked those. Glocks were ok... but my circle doesn't really like them so I have to give into peer pressure on that one and pass on those.

Again... sorry for my niavety on so much stuff here, but I do hope to learn from all of you.
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Look into a KelTec PF9, a little snappy on recoil, but very slim, light (13 oz) and pocketable. The current production models have the bugs worked out (thanks to all of the "beta" testers lol)..
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

If you want dependability, there are plenty of nice 9mm's around...everyone has their own choices. If hindsight were available for a 'do over', I'd probably go right to a .45!

However, rather than encouraging a particular model/make, I would go handle as many as possible at several gun shops...don't listen to the salesman (unless you know him/her personally). You will find that gun that just screams "Take me home!"

Perhaps a Glock, Kimber, Sig, etc., will be your final choice...have fun looking.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links